Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

092323-ipad_side_view.jpg

In a pair of press releases issued this morning, Apple announced that the iPad will be available at AT&T and Verizon retail stores beginning October 28th.

The AT&T deal will bring the the three iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models to the company's 2,200 retail store locations in the United States, offering yet another distribution channel for Apple's tablet device and providing AT&T with the opportunity to sell customers on its 3G data service plans.
"We can't wait to showcase the amazing features of iPad Wi-Fi + 3G in our stores across the country just in time for the holidays," said Glenn Lurie, AT&T President of Emerging Devices, Resale and Partnerships, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "With our breakthrough iPad data plans starting at just $14.99 and access to AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots around the country at no extra cost, our customers will have the best of both worlds."

"We look forward to expanding the reach of iPad, allowing even more customers to experience the magic of iPad for themselves," said Tim Cook, Apple's COO. "As we approach the holiday season, we are very happy that customers will now be able to buy iPad Wi-Fi + 3G at AT&T Stores."
Verizon's 2,000 retail stores will offer the three Wi-Fi-only iPad models both as standalone purchases and bundled with the carrier's MiFi 2200 mobile hotspot device to provide service on the go. The bundles will be priced at $629.99/$729.99/$829.99, essentially the same price points as the corresponding iPad models with onboard 3G capabilities. Verizon will offer iPad customers a monthly 1GB data plan priced at $20.
"This is the perfect pairing for holiday travels," said John Stratton, chief operating officer for Verizon Wireless. "iPad together with the nation's largest and most reliable 3G data network allows customers to easily connect on the go wherever they are."

"We're thrilled to be working with Verizon Wireless to get iPad into the hands of even more customers this holiday season," said Tim Cook, Apple's COO. "iPad allows users to connect with their apps and content in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before, and together with Verizon Wireless we're offering an easy way to stay connected wherever you go."
The announcements continue a remarkable expansion in distribution for the iPad, with Best Buy expanding availability nationwide late last month and Target, Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Sam's Club all launching the device over the past few weeks or in the near future.

Article Link: iPad Headed to AT&T and Verizon Retail Stores on October 28th

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
@Verizon? Surely this is prefacing Verizon becoming a carrier for Apple products.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

And the start of a new relationship begins.

Past V1

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Hey....

No credit....I actually sent this story to you:mad:

I like how they only have the WiFi model...the only way you connect to Verizon is through there MiFi...what a inconvenience...thanks I'll keep my AT&T model...good luck with that

kdarling

macrumors P6
Ah.

Perhaps this is the "we must earn it" part of getting the iPhone, that the Verizon exec mentioned last week.

Or perhaps all those rumored CDMA chips are headed toward a Verizon iPad radio board, although I would sure bet that Apple wants in on the LTE launch as well.

(Remember, the radio board is a separate plug-in on the iPad, making it super easy to change during factory assembly.)

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
For those interested, yes, the $20/mo Verizon plan is a month to month, no contract plan (I read the article!)

Also, particularly interesting from the Apple press release: "Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network . . . "

I wonder if existing AT&T 3G customers can get a reduced mi-fi and get in on the $20 a month?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Apple and Verizon seem to be getting more friendly to one another. I personally, have no plans of switching off AT&T should a Verizon iPhone become available, but having that option would sure be nice.

Be interesting to see if the CDMA chip rumors for Apple are in regards to the iPad rather than the iPhone.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
So another data point drops in indicating a Verizon future.

Meanwhile the iPad gets carried by more and more vendors. It will be everywhere this Christmas. How long before 7-11 carries it?

eBalut

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
1GB for $20?

Wow, I got all excited when I saw Verizon in the tag line. Now not so much since they will only give you 1GB for $20. Just another reason to stick with ATT. At least this is a step in the right direction.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
How useful is a 1 GB data plan? One itunes non HD movie is about 1 GB, right? Even if you didn't download anything (or synced from a desktop); it seems like modern internet usage would eat up a GB in no time.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Is the reality of a Verizon iPhone getting closer? Looks like apple is pushing to get as many iPads out before the competition can get there knock-off version out grabbing a larger chunk of the market share.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Wow thats a shocker....clearly this is the start of a relationship with Verizon. Those Verizon iPhone rumors actually look like they have some merit now.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
1GB data for $20? i can't wait for the hype when VZ gets the iphone

since VZ's network is so much slower you will get more use out of your $20 since everything will take longer to load

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
No credit....I actually sent this story to you:mad:

I get the sense MR only gives credit to those who give them actual "scoops", like information that would have been hard to dig up otherwise. This story is on the front page of Verizon.com. It's out there already.

Kev052683

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2007
1GB of data?! You better not go to any threads on MacRumors that involve pictures. I'd eat through 1GB of data in about two days if it was strictly 3G.

Coleco

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2003
So, add an iPod Touch + Line2

What would stop someone from using MiFi to ALSO share the signal with an iPod Touch and combine with Line2 (or Google Phone, perhaps) to make this a $20 a month iPhone? I think I could live with 1GB a month considering how many places offer WiFi.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
LOL, still no cdma, as expected.

What would stop someone from using MiFi to ALSO share the signal with an iPod Touch and combine with Line2 (or Google Phone, perhaps) to make this a $20 a month iPhone? I think I could live with 1GB a month considering how many places offer WiFi.

Latency of tethering. Additional equipment required. Etc.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Yes!!!!

Dear Lord, I hope the Verizon iPhone is next. I want these stupid Vzn/iP4 rumors to finally see their end and I want all these whiners and complainers off of AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.