Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Yeah, the updates to iOS 10 are extremely underwhelming. I was hoping for significant updates for the iPad but there was really nothing whatsoever. Frankly I'm not sure this company is moving in a cohesive direction anymore.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
It's just becoming an embarrassment to call an iPad Pro a pro device without certain features that are necessary to be deemed a pro device (mouse/trackpad support, multiple Microsoft office apps being opened, better icons that relate more to a desktop workspace, and a true file manager). Google's chrome OS chromebooks are starting to look more enticing now especially with the introduction of android apps, all we need is Samsung or some other major company to make a luxury hybrid tablet/laptop device with chrome OS to win me over.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
iOS 10 has support for raw photo editing.
Raw files are the digital equivalents of the old analogic negatives, while Jpegs are the equivalent of developed pictures.
Raw support is crucial in any serious photography work, but it's pretty complicate and only a few companies can affort to do it, like Adobe. Apple is one of these companies, as macOS has supported raw formats for years. Up to version 9, iOS has only supported storing raw files, not editing them. In iOS10, third party apps should have access to apple raw photo engine. The same engine that is used in Photos for macOS, the same engine that Aperture used.

FairyCatInPink

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
It's just becoming an embarrassment to call an iPad Pro a pro device without certain features that are necessary to be deemed a pro device (mouse/trackpad support, multiple Microsoft office apps being opened, better icons that relate more to a desktop workspace, and a true file manager). Google's chrome OS chromebooks are starting to look more enticing now especially with the introduction of android apps, all we need is Samsung or some other major company to make a luxury hybrid tablet/laptop device with chrome OS to win me over.

I mean, you gotta give up something. If you need "pro" level of computer, get desk top or laptop and give up their portability. iPad Pro is Pro on iPad, not suppose to be working like desk top or laptop completely, but having much better battery hours and its portability compare to desktop/laptop. iPad Pro isn't notebook, and not everyone wants keyboard, if I want keyboard with iPad, I'll bring my MacBook Pro instead. iPad with mouse? Yeah sure it's maybe nice to some of you, but it's also killing iPads portability, if you have to bring attachable keyboard, mouse and whatever with iPad.

I'm not sure how many hours before battery goes off on other Windows "tablet" or "hybrid" things, they run 9-10 hours without charging like iPad though?

I think some people are just rediculous, wants to have something best for everything. And you know that's not gonna happens. If you want to use several heavy software at same time, you need stronger CPU and memory, and those takes space and weight. If you want portability, gotta take off things you can take off as much and makes those attachable. I don't think what Apple do for iPad and laptop and desktop anything wrong. All those made for different priority.

Last edited:

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
iOS 10 has support for raw photo editing. Raw support is pretty complicate and only a few companies can affort to do it, like Adobe. Apple is one of this companies, as macOS has supported raw formats for years. Up to version 9, iOS has only supported storing raw files, not editing them. In iOS10, third party apps should have access to apple raw engine. The same engine that is used in Photos for macOS, the same engine that Aperture used.

Support for Raw photo editing was one of the main things I was hoping for!!! Now I don't need a Mac do edit my raw photos, my only question is how do I get my raw photos quickly onto iPad

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Support for Raw photo editing was one of the main things I was hoping for!!! Now I don't need a Mac do edit my raw photos, my only question is how do I get my raw photos quickly onto iPad
Well good news, you can edit your raw files on your iPad today: :)
give photoshop express a try. It's free and also pretty decent.
Lightroom should also have full raw support soon (it already works if you know the trick to enable it).
Still, having access to apple raw engine is a very good thing.

To get raw files on your iPad you can Airdrop them from your mac or use a Lightning to usb/sd adapter

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I mean, you gotta give up something. If you need "pro" level of computer, get desk top or laptop and give up their portability. iPad Pro is Pro on iPad, not suppose to be working like desk top or laptop completely, but having much better battery hours and its portability compare to desktop/laptop. iPad Pro isn't notebook, and not everyone wants keyboard, if I want keyboard with iPad, I'll bring my MacBook Pro instead. iPad with mouse? Yeah sure it's maybe nice to some of you, but it's also killing iPads portability, if you have to bring attachable keyboard, mouse and whatever with iPad.

I'm not sure how many hours before battery goes off on other Windows "tablet" or "hybrid" things, they run 9-10hoirs without charging like iPad though?

I think some people are just rediculous, wants to have something best for everything. And you know that's not gonna happens. If you want to use several heavy software at same time, you need stronger CPU and memory, and those takes space and weight. If you want portability, gotta take off things you can take off as much and makes those attachable. I don't think what Apple do for iPad and laptop and desktop anything wrong. All those made for deferent priority.

definitely disappointed in lack of new "features" for this new segment they created - the iPad Pro, which Apple themselves compares to a laptop and it certainly feels like iPad is being ignored. Simple things like better slide over app organization, enabling two instances of apps system wide (which they just did with safari), system wide PIP and split view. Too much to ask? hardly.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
When is the iPad not ignored? As long as the iPhone remains the cash cow, the iPad will always be lower in their priority list.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ

I don't think this was a mind-blowing update, but I don't think IOS was really underwhelming to begin with. I don't see where an external mouse or trackpad would be needed? You have the trackpad in the built in keyboard, your finger or Apple Pencil is your pointer. You can absolutely have multiple Office applications open, and what is wrong with the current icons? Not going to turn this into an Android/IOS debate, but when you have your Android tablet for 1 1/2 years and have to either wait or not get the latest OS......

IMG_0028.jpg

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I don't think this was a mind-blowing update, but I don't think IOS was really underwhelming to begin with. I don't see where an external mouse or trackpad would be needed? You have the trackpad in the built in keyboard, your finger or Apple Pencil is your pointer. You can absolutely have multiple Office applications open, and what is wrong with the current icons? Not going to turn this into an Android/IOS debate, but when you have your Android tablet for 1 1/2 years and have to either wait or not get the latest OS......

View attachment 635603

I really would only need a mouse or trackpad when using the Apple keyboard when I'm not using the built in keyboard. You cannot have multiple instances of the same app open at the same time (i.e. 2 different word documents open in side by side windows).

Reactions: jamesrick80

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Pretty much the only two things iPad specific were split screen safari, and Swift Playgrounds. A ton of stuff seems to be 3D touch only (Like the improved notifications...that should be interesting given neither iPad can use them, nor the iPhone SE.)

My biggest disappointment is that the slideover UI still sucks and the multitasking UI also still sucks on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.