"iPad is not mobile"-Mark Zuckerberg

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, Nov 3, 2010.

1. budman1961 macrumors regular

No new Facebook app....for now....

According to Mark Zuckerberg at todays FB conference....The iPad isnt mobile, its a computer, no further discussion for now.

I'm a little dissapointed!:mad:

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

If the ipad isn't mobile, then I am the pope.

Zuckerberg is an idiot.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

He's just mad because Steve won't give him one for free.

4. budman1961 macrumors regular

A brilliant idiot...maybe its our fault, his definition of mobile is smartphone, our is something different......

5. Scuby macrumors regular

Not read exactly what he said, but he may have a point.

A phone is something you can have on you all of the time, use while you're walking, sat down, on the train, wherever - maybe using on-the-go is the definition of mobile?
    An iPad is something which you could easily carry with you everywhere in a bag, but which you're unlikely to be using while walking down the street - its portable, certainly, but not mobile?
    A laptop is something that you can really only use if you have somewhere to put it, as opposed to an iPad which you can use while stood up - maybe we call that relocatable, if we want to distinguish it?

So, the words probably aren't important, as the definitions in the English language aren't specific enough to mobile devices to say absolutely one way or the other. But the concept that some things you can use while walking, others while stood up but stationary, and yet others only while you've got something to put them on, is certainly valid.

David

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Actually, I feel pretty special to own at least ONE computing device that is free from that time wasting, malware-infested steaming pile of *********.

7. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

I don't see how it isn't mobile, but that is his opinion. What he can't deny is that it is a completely touch driven device and facebook could definitely benefit from an interface designed for touch.

With the growing tablet market does facebook really want to stay all point and clicky?

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

Mark's delivery is his usual "frat boy giving presentation to a classroom", but he's right. iPad isn't mobile like phones are. He should've said something like "today's event is for mobile devices and iPad is outside our definition of mobile devices" and hint that a version for iPad is in the works.

9. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I agree. He should have been more clear now he's gotta take some heat for his comment.

Their attention is on the phone and there is nothing wrong with that. It just sucks a bit that we can't even buy facebooks attention when it comes to the iPad.

10. mklnk macrumors regular

Does this mean I have to start leaving it at home?

11. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Your telling me he couldn't take .0001 % of his 6 billion to pay for an iOS developer to create a mobile app?

12. urbanj macrumors regular

I don't see how people would rather have the app anyways. the iPad can display the full site from safari with easy and using the FB app from my iPhone drives me wild sometimes. Put the FB safari bookmark on your homepage and you're done.

13. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

But you can't chat.

14. lozpop macrumors 6502

In that event they also said that they're studying an HTML5 Facebook version for tablets.

Personally, I would like an optimized web version of Facebook more than an app.

15. PhoneI macrumors 65816

or upload a picture

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

But now that you can multitask, use IM+ - this way you can chat with multiple platforms simultaneously.

And I'd like to add that with 3G the iPad does become a mobile device, not just a portable one.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have to agree. The iPad is too large for any of my pockets, unlike my iPod touch which is always on me. It's not something I can take everywhere I go. It's not something I can get out in class or work to do some quick calculations (and sneakily check emails).

What's the definition of mobile in this context? I guess it doesn't include laptops because if the iPad isn't mobile then they certainly aren't.

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Geez everyone needs to calm down. He meant that it isn't mobile in the way that a smartphone is mobile. Unless you have giant pants you can't stick an iPad in your pocket.

The event was for the "mobile space" so yes, the iPad is mobile in that it is easier to carry around than a Macbook Pro, but it is not a device that you have on your person at all times like a smartphone. (Although I am sure some of you probably have your iPad all the time...I do most of the time, but it is still not the same thing.)

19. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Who cares what category it is. There have been over 7 million iPads sold. I bet a large percentage of these owners would like to use FaceBook on their device. You think FaceBook (which has monster resources) would want to accommodate.

20. foiden macrumors 6502a

The incredible user attachment to the device should be enough. But there are coats with big enough pockets to hold ipads in the inside of them. Even ones made years before knowledge of the iPad was made public. So there are pockets capable of holding such a thing. Still, if you can carry a notebook with you, you can carry an iPad in there.

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Not quite... I cant really roll up my iPad and jam it in my breast pocket of my jacket like I can a notebook.

Unless you meant notebook computer.

22. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I guess a potential 7 million customer base is inconsequent to the FB business model.

23. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Amen. I could live with using FB through Safari, but it's irritating as hell to have to move pics I've edited on the iPad either to the iPhone or the computer just to upload them. How utterly stupid of Zuckerberg.

And while I'm not one to carry the iPad with me 24/7, my husband does. Try telling him it's not a mobile device. :rolleyes:

24. urbanj macrumors regular

True, but to most people I know the chat feature is extremely buggy. So many conversations just wiped or I don't get the message. Then when I go back and see from a computer I see everything I missed. I'm not the only one as the same goes for my friends.

Never have I uploaded photos from my computer to the iPad to then post them on facebook. Kinda seems counterproductive to me.

Each to their own.