Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashfive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
I am working on a project and I want to have an iPad start/open with a video or kiosk mode that goes directly to play a video. Is there a way to make this happen? I am open to jailbreaking if necessary.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I am working on a project and I want to have an iPad start/open with a video or kiosk mode that goes directly to play a video. Is there a way to make this happen? I am open to jailbreaking if necessary.
There's lots of ways to do this: Two listed above.
There is also using classroom app on a Mac or another iPad to 'lock' the iPad into an app and using and MDM to single lock an app down.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
That is correct. They are in a locked kiosk stand which covers the home button.

I don’t think the article I linked alludes to that in any way so I just wanted to make it explicit for OP. If physically blocking off the home buttons is part of the set up, guided access is definitely the easiest option. If it isn’t, it’s not a good one although certain pitfalls can be avoided if it is backed up regularly to the cloud, has also been connected to and backed up to a computer that’s easily accessible in the past and anyone who might need to maintain it has their fingerprint registered in touchID

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There is no solution to “boot iPad straight into an app” like macOS or Windows.
But, after booting to home screen, guided access, some third party remote control solutions, MDM, you pick. Awesome suggestions listed above to lock down iPad into single app mode.
One grip however is there is no MDM profile that can disable auto update. The best bet is to download tvOS profile to stop auto update. Any latest one would work.
As for the backup, just setup wifi backup to iTunes.

PS: guided access also disables the home bar on iPad Pro and iPhone X/XS.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
With accessibility single app mode the home button is disabled.

With accessibility single app mode the home button is used to escape single app mode and brings up a password dialog. A guessed password = full access. Successive failed passwords increase the time before you can enter a new one which can be a PITA if someone needs to maintain the kiosk and is locked out (using Touch ID overrides this timer, hence the suggestion above).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.