iPad Mini 4 Display Has Improved Color Gamut and Lower Reflectance

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DisplayMate has tested the iPad mini 4 display and found that its colors and color accuracy are on par with the iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, with an improved 101% color gamut. All previous iPad mini models had 62% color gamut with poorer color saturation, according to the company's analysis.

iPad mini 4 also has a record-low 2% screen reflectance, compared to 6.5% reflectance for the iPad mini 3 and and 9% reflectance for the original iPad mini. This gives the iPad mini 4 a contrasting rating in high ambient light of 225, which in layman's terms means the tablet has improved readability in real-world viewing conditions.

DisplayMate Technologies President Ray Soneira:
But in terms of real-world viewing conditions, the record low 2.0% screen Reflectance actually makes a bigger visual difference for the image colors and image contrast that you actually see because ambient light washes out and degrades the displayed images and reduces screen readability - so [the iPad mini 4's] record low Reflectance actually makes a bigger difference!
DisplayMate says the iPad mini 4 has between 2.5x and 3.5x higher contrast in ambient light than the iPad mini 3 and most other tablets, which mainly fall in the range of 5.0% to 6.5% screen reflectance. iPad Air 2 was the previous record holder with 2.5% screen reflectance, but the iPad mini 4 was 36% better per this test.

DisplayMate will provide in-depth analysis of the iPad mini 4 display when the iPad Pro launches in November.

Article Link: iPad Mini 4 Display Has Improved Color Gamut and Lower Reflectance

macchelsea

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Hong Kong
I'm using one and I can say the display is way more beautiful than my iPad Air, so beautiful I'm refrained from using a screen protector.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
They forgot to mention that the WiFi download speed is about 50% faster than the iPad Air and 10% faster than my HTC M8. This is a pretty awesome little tablet.
This. I remember first downloading apps to my Air 2 when it came out and if you blinked you'd miss it. So fast!

toifl23

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Great to hear. Bought one for my wife on launch day in Austria and she absolutely loves her iPad. It's the first one in our household, although we have a long history with Apple products. Never saw the benefit of an iPad but my mind's changed over the last couple months. Now we just need an iPad Pro with a real operating system like OSX.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Finally! No more colour gamut haters on the iPad mini!
To be fair, the color gamut haters had a legitimate beef. There was really no reason for the mini to have a screen that much worse than the standard iPad. I think it's cool Apple finally addressed it. Wife might want one now.

They forgot to mention that the WiFi download speed is about 50% faster than the iPad Air and 10% faster than my HTC M8. This is a pretty awesome little tablet.
I don't think they forgot. I think they purposely omitted that info in a post about color gamut.;):p

SLSWE

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
i would take reflections over those horrible dark smudges all over the coated display to be honest
Not sure what dark smudges you're talking about .. my Air 2 with the coating does not seem to exhibit this behavior.
I have them to. By just using them you get some strange dark smudges I never experienced on any other iOS product before. Harder to remove too than regular smudges you get from your fingers.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The mini has always been my favorite iPad. It is nice to see it get treated correctly this year! (mini 3 was the iPad 3 of old).

Reactions: ColdShadow

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
" contrasting rating in high ambient light of 225 "

so glad to see a real contrast rating! sick of the TV and monitor manufacturers who claim contract ratios of 1 : 20,000 and other nonsense.

After disappointments with mac mini and apple tv, I'm really happy to see apple give the ipad mini some love. It's my go to screen size for casual browsing of things like personal e-mail, craigslist, news, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.