iPad Mini 4 Display Has Improved Color Gamut and Lower Reflectance

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

DisplayMate has tested the iPad mini 4 display and found that its colors and color accuracy are on par with the iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, with an improved 101% color gamut. All previous iPad mini models had 62% color gamut with poorer color saturation, according to the company's analysis.

[​IMG]

iPad mini 4 also has a record-low 2% screen reflectance, compared to 6.5% reflectance for the iPad mini 3 and and 9% reflectance for the original iPad mini. This gives the iPad mini 4 a contrasting rating in high ambient light of 225, which in layman's terms means the tablet has improved readability in real-world viewing conditions.

DisplayMate Technologies President Ray Soneira:
    DisplayMate says the iPad mini 4 has between 2.5x and 3.5x higher contrast in ambient light than the iPad mini 3 and most other tablets, which mainly fall in the range of 5.0% to 6.5% screen reflectance. iPad Air 2 was the previous record holder with 2.5% screen reflectance, but the iPad mini 4 was 36% better per this test.

DisplayMate will provide in-depth analysis of the iPad mini 4 display when the iPad Pro launches in November.

Article Link: iPad Mini 4 Display Has Improved Color Gamut and Lower Reflectance

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

i would take reflections over those horrible dark smudges all over the coated display to be honest

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

4. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

The reduced color gamut was a huge issue a few years back for many, so this is a welcome change.

5. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Finally! No more colour gamut haters on the iPad mini!

6. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Apple has had some terribly reflective screens in the past, so it is nice that they are continuing to make progress. Hopefully they will continue to work on it across their whole product line.

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

8. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

Why the wait? Is it important to be one launch behind?

9. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Apple was just trying to cheap out for the sake margins.

10. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what dark smudges you're talking about .. my Air 2 with the coating does not seem to exhibit this behavior.

11. macchelsea macrumors newbie

macchelsea

I'm using one and I can say the display is way more beautiful than my iPad Air, so beautiful I'm refrained from using a screen protector.

12. Xavier macrumors 68030

Loving the display on my iPad Mini 4. Totally worth the purchase with this version. I've had my eye on it for awhile but didn't bother until now.

13. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

They forgot to mention that the WiFi download speed is about 50% faster than the iPad Air and 10% faster than my HTC M8. This is a pretty awesome little tablet.

14. RockSpider macrumors 6502a

Have you tried picking up the Air after using the Mini, it's like picking up a brick.

15. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

With all of the stuff they did with the mini 4 (thinner, faster, multi-tasking capabilities, better display) you'd think Apple would spend more time talking about it.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Might actually upgrade from the first gen, not for me, but for my son :)

17. Jsameds macrumors 68040

This. I remember first downloading apps to my Air 2 when it came out and if you blinked you'd miss it. So fast!

18. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

You're touching it wrong.

19. shanmugam macrumors 68020

Great news.

2GB RAM
    A8
    Good display
    and so on ...

20. toifl23 macrumors newbie

Great to hear. Bought one for my wife on launch day in Austria and she absolutely loves her iPad. It's the first one in our household, although we have a long history with Apple products. Never saw the benefit of an iPad but my mind's changed over the last couple months. Now we just need an iPad Pro with a real operating system like OSX.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

To be fair, the color gamut haters had a legitimate beef. There was really no reason for the mini to have a screen that much worse than the standard iPad. I think it's cool Apple finally addressed it. Wife might want one now.

I don't think they forgot. I think they purposely omitted that info in a post about color gamut.;):p

22. SLSWE macrumors newbie

SLSWE

I have them to. By just using them you get some strange dark smudges I never experienced on any other iOS product before. Harder to remove too than regular smudges you get from your fingers.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The mini has always been my favorite iPad. It is nice to see it get treated correctly this year! (mini 3 was the iPad 3 of old).

24. The Dart macrumors newbie

The Dart

36% better is NOT the same. Phil Schiller is a liar.

25. scott911 macrumors 6502a

" contrasting rating in high ambient light of 225 "

so glad to see a real contrast rating! sick of the TV and monitor manufacturers who claim contract ratios of 1 : 20,000 and other nonsense.

After disappointments with mac mini and apple tv, I'm really happy to see apple give the ipad mini some love. It's my go to screen size for casual browsing of things like personal e-mail, craigslist, news, etc...