iPad mini iPad Mini Retina fiasco!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chillip, Feb 4, 2014.

1. chillip macrumors 6502

So after going through 4 Rminis in November, I tried again last week but same problem still exists. Dust under the screen! I had the same issue with the original mini but just decided to live with it in the end. Should I just do this with the rmini as it seems impossible to find a perfect one! This current one has only a small piece of dirt or dust in the corner of the scree. The screen is nice and uniform white as well which is good.

2. eggersj, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I have had 8 iPads total, new and warranty replacements, regular and mini (over all gens) and have never seen dust under the screen.

Are you breaking out the ol' electron microscope or something??? :)

Seriously though, I'd get the best one you can live with and just keep it... I hope it works out for you!

3. chillip thread starter macrumors 6502

I do look at the screen with a white background to have a check. Maybe a bit OCD but it shouldn't have dust under the screen. I think this happens during manufacture.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's what I do when I get a new tablet. I use it as I expect I would. if I don't notice anything wrong under typical conditions, its a keeper.

If you're pixel peeping and then returning them for the most minor issues then I doubt you'll ever be satisfied.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There should not be dust under the screen but I certainly would sway my opinion that you are sitting there looking as hard as you can for a problem. Any chance there's a way to catch a picture of it?

Dust under the screen is a replaceable issue. Take it back. I would recommend bringing whatever magnifying glass you use to the Apple store and opening the next iPad mini in store to verify the quality.

I don't have dust under my screen, to the best of my knowledge.

Side note, this is not a fiasco. ;)

6. ToyGun1 macrumors 6502

Same here too Purchased rMini online last week came with dust under screen.
    Just received my replacement everything seems pefect so far dont give up hope.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's really the best advice and what I do as well. If I don't see it, it's not there. I'm sure if I go looking for stuff that's wrong, i'd find it.

8. JulesK macrumors 6502

How much is your time worth?

The poster who said use it as you would normally and see if you really care makes a lot of sense, unless you have enough time to do all the exchanges. I purchased two years ago a refurb ACD that had two stuck pixels - one I can't even remember where, and one in roughly the middle that I thought would drive me crazy. Now, I would need time to even find that one stuck pixel, because I haven't thought about it in, oh, 23 months. Apple at the time was great about it, and said that they would take it back and replace it, but the hassle of returning that large an item was high, and now I'm glad I didn't bother.

But, if you have the time and it's a big enough concern, then go for it. Just don't ever buy a new car. They are never perfect...

9. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Bingo. People are running image retention tests and doing all these other things to scrutinize every micron of the device when they will NEVER see these issues during actual use.

I put a screen protector on mine and there's a piece of dust under it with a little bubble. I could put another one on, but I can't see it when the screen is on, so why does it matter? Hint: it doesn't.

10. spookylight macrumors newbie

Snide remarks with 'rolleyes' are not helpful in any matter, let alone this, and I can sympathise with the OP.

These issues are widely reported, even by regular blogs & media tech testers everywhere.

I'm certainly no fuss ar$e and yet have had the following issues;

64gb cell retina mini.
    1st ipad mini retina - piece of red thread under screen (long enough to make the letter 's') 4 apple staff poking at it. exchanged;
    2nd (replacement) 2 pieces of debris under screen, dead pixel and backlight bleed, scratch under screen. genius saw it before he even gave it me and said to me it wasn't acceptable! exchanged;
    3rd (replacement) duff serial problem, faulty speaker, loose power button, scratch on top screen, yellow to blue tint. exchanged;
    4th (replacement) yellow to blue tint (genuis observed and immediately noted it) awaiting exchange.
    5th ordered.
    Great quality hey?
    Absolute shambles. Spent thousands over the years on apple equipment, never had this trouble before.

So yes, actually, it is a fiasco for quite a few folks. There's quite a few largish batches of poor QC. End of story.

For the record, I've spent thousands too over the years with apple, had previous ipads etc, only now has this happened.

YMMV

11. Leney macrumors member

As others have noted, dust under the screen is not a given in every iPad, and if you think it'll bother you, you should exchange it, or return and buy new.

It's a stretch to say that one shouldn't buy a car just because one is bothered by dust, uneven screen tinting, or image retention on an iPad. I concur that it shouldn't be an issue if one doesn't notice it under normal use, but one should not presume that it's only noticed under so-labelled OCD, super scrutinizing analysis.

I saw a handful of retina minis with uneven tinting where it was pretty obvious on first startup that the bottom of the screen was yellow compared to the whiteness of the top. It's something that I would notice daily viewing items on Safari, reading books, viewing the calendar, or any another application that had a white background. Some people can live with that or don't even notice it, but if you do and it bothers you, you should exchange it because there are devices out there that are more uniform.

I used an iPad 2 for over 2 years that had a dead pixel and I noticed it everytime that I used it whenever the background flashed to black (e.g., when viewing a movie) and regretted that I never exchanged it. It also could have ultimately affected its resale value as I recall that at least one company considered dead pixels as something that devalues an iPad.

12. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

My own experience with iPads all the way back to the first gen is that they all will have dust under the screen. It's just a matter of how closely you look. 9 times out of 10, you won't notice if you don't go looking for it.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't look for dust, but that would be one of the issues I return it for. Perhaps I've been lucky and haven't gotten any models with dust but so far between myself and my family I've purchased two first generation iPads, three first generation iPad minis and a single rMini.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You should put this post in bold under your signature: it could avoid a lot of repetitive threads on this forum :rolleyes:

----------

The real question is: something you won't notice is a real issue ?

15. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I changed it to a smiley face. Better? :D

I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles finding a quality unit as well. I hope your 5th is a good one.

Imperfections bother me as well and I've been extremely fortunate to have had great units; solid buttons, great screens and no dust. From what I've seen, units manufactured from December on have had better buttons (not loose). Both my mothers and fathers are perfect, along with the LTE model I just exchanged for in early January. All manufactured in December.

Again, hope your new one works out. Sucks you had to go through all that.

16. 617aircav Suspended

When I get any new item I will inspect it closely for any imperfections. I'm not keeping an item that has faults out of the box.

17. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

Purchased a rMini at target 3 weeks ago and 1 week ago I noticed a dead pixel. Do you guys think I should exchange it? I've been hearing about a lot of problems out of the box with these and I'm not sure If I should consider myself lucky. It's a little annoying knowing it's there but I could probably live with it. But I definitely do not want to get into the exchanging iPad after iPad game if the next one has more problems.

18. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Why post a yes or no question? You know some people are going to say yes and others will say no, so why bother? The situation is about you and it should be based on your gut reaction. The fact that you are asking this tells me that at least on some level it is bothering you, so exchange it. If you're embarrassed to exchange it, return it for your money and repurchase another one somewhere else. Do this until you're happy.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I think IR issues are just ridiculous, but if you speak about a dead pixel, well, I'd like to return it.

20. jakham macrumors newbie

I recieved third iPad Air 32gb cellular and again had a dead pixels!!! Again I am sending it to change. Never before this device I hadn´t any problems with dead pixels, but THIS device is cursed for me... LIttle problem is a exchange, in Czech republic isnt applestore so on delivery I am waiting about five days... And after third exchange I give an advice about refund money and make a new order. So now I need to wait fice days to refund money and next 3 days to delivere new device. I hope I will find perfect screen :-/

21. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

The main thing is if you notice the problem and you feel uncomfortable with it then you should return it as many times as you think

You wouldn't buy a new car if it had a scratch down the side would you or a table that wobbles on a flat surface

same thing applies with this and especially as it costs so much, this is why you pay the price you do, for all the materials and manufacture of the item

I certainly do have OCD when it comes to these things and if I'm not happy then I will be sending something back straight away, you pay your hard earned money for something that should be as it should be

They make millions and returns to them is only a small slice in the pie because all they do is reuse the parts inside and exchange the shell or whatever was wrong.

When I buy an Apple product the first thing I always do now is check the Bezel, I'm sorry but last year when the 5 was released myself and my partner had a very bad experience with our iPhones. Both the bezels on each phone had chips and dents out them all the way around. This has now made me aware each time. Once I have checked the Bezel I then check all around the device for no marks. Once that's done I then switch the device on and look for dead pixels, if that's fine then the last test is how long I get with the battery after a few charges to see if I have strong enough battery :)

I may be a little OCD with what I do but then that's only because the Quality Checks IMO have definetly slipped over the last few years, call them sloppy I don't know but if I'm spending over £500 then I want my purchase to be free from damage and work the way its intended

22. spookylight macrumors newbie

:) Yup fifth one is great, no issues for me, I don't go looking for any either. As i say the store staff actually saw the issues before I did. Only one had dust blobs (big) in fact so big it made the time at the top unreadable for a digit. Is that 'really' big then? compared to regular dust people are seeing? The first had a 1cm long thread of red cotton under the screen, which was a one off apparently.

Anyway, looks like they are ironing out the genuine issues, most companies do after all. Just a bit unlucky.

Very happy with mine now.

23. elchorizo macrumors member

Wow, this is PERFECT advice. Seriously. Do what maflynn says.

I was all worried about the screen issues when I went to get my iPad mini. I chose not to do all the image tests and all that crap. I just used it for a few days doing the stuff I always do, and quickly fell in love. All this stuff is just making people crazy. OCD for the masses.

Just buy and use, and if it doesn't work, return. I haven't always been the biggest Apple fan, but the fact that they allow me to return something if I don't love it builds a lot of loyalty in me. And *knock on wood* I've yet to ever need to exercise the policy!

24. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

If someone had 8 iPads and still not happy I think they're being a liiiitle too picky.

25. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I would imagine this is what the far majority of phone and tablet buyers do..we tend to forget that those of us on this forum are the minority and again those with problems (real or not) or a minority of a minority group.