iPad mini iPad Mini retina observations, from an Air owner

Discussion in 'iPad' started by moxxey, Nov 15, 2013.

1. moxxey macrumors regular

I'm reading a lot of negativity on this board regarding the new retina iPad Mini screens (ironically, you can see the same negativity about the new retina MBP's in their forum and previous retina MBPs. There's a constant theme on this board...!) and worried about what I was going to receive.

iPad Mini retina arrived this morning. I've owned an iPad 1 through to 3, now an iPad Air. This Mini compliments the Air purchase.

How do they compare? The iPad Mini retina has a slightly - note, slightly - duller screen. I wouldn't say 'washed out', it's just not quite as bright and as vibrant as the Air's. However, my previous iPad Mini was also a bit duller than the iPad 3 screen. Unless you bothered to compare the Air with the Mini, side by side, you'd never even know!

The iPad Mini retina's screen is far better than my previous Mini. Text is far sharper, as you'd expect.

There's only one downside I can find, so far. The new iPad Mini retina is definitely noticeably heavier than the original Mini. I read one review which said "you'd barely notice". You do notice. Hold the old Mini in one hand and the new retina Mini in the other and it's noticeably heavier.

I'm impressed with the iPad Mini retina. I'm also convinced that a lot of the screen complaints on here are people getting incredibly over-zealous with their expectations. Yes, the screen isn't as good as the Air, yes there's a slight tint, but it's absolutely exceptional, is more than a step up from the previous Mini and it's a superb device.

2. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Yeah I with you there. I am intending to keep just one but they're both so good that I'm really torn and may end up with both. And after a new iMac last year to replace an old one, and a new MacBook Air in the summer, and iPhone 5s, I'll soon be bankrupt at this rate.

3. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I think the issue is more the fact that the tint is only in certain areas of the screen. If the tint was uniform across the whole screen, I doubt the issues would be as big for many. It's the same as the Air. My first Air had a pinkish hue across the whole screen. It was uniform. Unfortunately I found dust under the screen and returned it. My replacement has a yellow tint in the bottom left. It's barely noticeable, but it's there. I would have probably kept the first if the dust wasn't there.

4. SirHaakon macrumors 6502a

With all due respect, you either:

A) Got a version of the iPad Mini with Retina Display that is better calibrated than some others

B) Have poor eyesight

or C) Are on drugs

Here's a picture of my mini next to my iPhone (sorry, I don't have an Air)... look at the color difference, especially in the magentas. I don't know what else you would call it besides "washed out."

[​IMG]

5. moxxey thread starter macrumors regular

I never said that it wasn't. I said above that it's more dull than the Air, less bright. That's not necessarily 'washed out', it's just clearly a lower grade panel than the Air. That's because it's a cheaper device. A cheaper device means cheaper panels, so the iPad Mini clearly has a lower grade panel.

However, it's still an absolutely superb panel and far better than the previous iPad Mini, so let's be a bit more realistic about this.

As for the comparison above, the iPhone panel looks like it's a little too colour-rich, actually. But there again, people perceive colours in different ways, which is why you can calibrate your Mac and your TV!

6. SirHaakon, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

SirHaakon macrumors 6502a

Call it "more dull, less bright" if you like... that's what I call "washed out."
    • If we could calibrate our iPads, there wouldn't be a problem.
    • I would gladly pay the $100 difference for an accurate screen.
    The ppi is nice, yes. That doesn't make up for the fact that there is a problem. If you are satisfied, awesome. But please don't blanketly discount the dozens of other threads started by people (just in the first day of availability, I might add) who also clearly are aware of the issue.

7. MTL18 macrumors regular

Excellent post. Compare the Mini 2 to the predecessor, not the more expensive and equally new model above it.

I also agree with you on the pictures. That magenta looked extremely saturated and borderline head-ache inducing. The iPad Mini was gentler on the eyes in my books!

The "pros" are releasing their reviews on it now and people do say that it is "Washed out" compared to the Air, but still the best mid-sized tablet available and well worth the purchase.

8. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

The key part of OP's post is that you wouldn't even notice screen differences unless you compared the mini side by side with the Air. And, really, other than the folks on here - who does that?

9. SirHaakon macrumors 6502a

I noticed without the comparison, and clearly others have as well.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You are right. Of the millions of minis being sold we should not discount the dozens of threads complaining about this. Clearly there is either a mass production issue or some design conspiracy. Washoutgate.

Sarcasm alert!

11. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Being totally honest, I think the mini has a far more accurate contrast profile. It's not washed out, it's lower contrast... and by lower contrast, I think it's a more correct contrast. You can really tell by looking at the green grass areas and even the purple wall structures. More fine mid-tone detail. Now look at that iPhone. The colors are CRAZY saturated almost to the point of clipping.

Source: photographer.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The problem is you are paying $70 more for it.

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

my only qualm is, I have an iPhone, so am I really going to find the Mini a better choice than an Air? As in, is the difference from my iPhone to the Mini going to have me going to the Mini for some work as compared to the natural progression of jumping off the phone to a full size iPad?

14. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

The iPad mini definitely isn't tiny. It's still pretty huge compared to an iPhone.

I personally have no interest or need for a full-size tablet, although I have to admit they got the Air small enough I considered it. Ultimately, a mini is the perfect size for mobile media consumption. I think the full-size air is better for content creation (limited) or business related tasks (cash register, industry specific apps).

----------

OH NO. NOT SEVENTY WHOLE DOLLARS STRETCHED OVER 2-3 YEARS (the average ownership of such device).

Seriously. If $330 to $400 is going to cause significant concern, you shouldn't be in the market anyway. The screen and *massive* performance bump / future proofing is easily worth $70.

15. MTL18 macrumors regular

True, but keep in mind that you get the most up to date A chip, and a retina.

If the Mini 1 had an A6X chip and a retina screen, it wouldn't of been $330...

16. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I've owned every iPad produced and used the original iPad mini for +8 months then went to the iPad Air. The iPad 3 and 4 were just too heavy so I thought the iPad Air would be a welcome return to the 10" tablet category. However, I found the iPad Air too clumsy. I'm patiently wait for the iPad Mini with Retina Display. The major inflection point was going out to lunch during the business week. I would always take the iPad Mini to email and review documents. It did not clutter the table, it was easy to carry while walking, etc. Then with the iPad Air, I thought I would want to use it more for document review, but whenever I would instinctively reach for the tablet heading out to lunch I would elect to leave it behind!!! This was a complete surprise to me. I quickly realized that size made a huge difference. The iPad Air was new, cool, trendy device; however it stayed in my laptop bag. A couple other things to consider, I have excellent uncorrected vision and could read most full websites on the original iPad Mini without zooming (although I thought it was grainy), and I greatly prefer portrait typing with the split keyboard.

17. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Yup, it is heavier and makes me not want to hold it in one hand for very long. Like I said last year when everyone whined about non-retina, I said if the rMini was larger or heavier I wouldn't get the original mini instead, and that's what I'm about to do.

18. SirHaakon macrumors 6502a

Perhaps that's the camera settings, your monitor settings, the room lighting (etc.) as I have pointed out. There's nothing saying that the representation of the iPhone in the picture is "correct," either. But if you have an iPhone, you can compare it to the iPhone in the picture and then judge how the rMini would stack up. In other words, if your iPhone looks half as saturated as the picture does, then imagine what the rMini actually looks like in real life - and now you understand why it's so terrible.

Let's also look at it another way - you're saying you don't care for the colors of the iPhone in that shot; have you ever complained about the colors of your iPhone screen before? If you have, then clearly it's not that big a deal to you or you wouldn't have kept it. I thought the Mini looked awful the moment I picked it up... and only later did I do a comparison. I will probably return it as it bothers me that much. But I think others are right for bringing up the point and questioning why we're dealing with such poor gamut at a time when both the iPhone and iPad air now seem to be optimized pretty successfully.

19. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Only in an apple forum with apple owners do you read posts about how they "don't mind" about an inferior lcd panel released by apple and how there is justification to the new iPad mini retina being "lesser contrast is a good thing" or how it gives you a "headache" because it's (iPad AIR is) too saturated.

For the love of your God, please stop the kool-aid drinking. Put the glass down and open your eyes - you are getting a subpar lcd panel and when the 2014 iPad mini 3 comes, it will have the correct full color gamut lcd screen!

If you go an any android forum, you will see people tell you the truth if their devices suck, they will not hold back. In apple land, you read apple consumers all defend an apple product even when it is clearly evident you are getting a subpar screen on a new product!

It's like saying, well, my expensive BMW X5 cannot drive off road but it's ok, I only drive in the city anyway. Or it's perfectly ok I don't mind my iPhone's battery life being so pathetic but at least it's thin and made of metal. Or the best one yet: I really don't mind the 4" screen size because there's no reason to go larger. But when apple releases a larger one, it's automatically the law to have anything greater than 4" screen size on you're phone :rolleyes:

20. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Do you need a hug?

21. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Personally I'd say the Mini is for consuming content and the Air for productivity but lots of people here will disagree with me!

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And the 2015 Mini will have 4GB of RAM and Jetpacks. What's the point?

23. lifeinabox macrumors newbie

Can you expand on this? Otherwise, it's a rote answer that I see often repeated but never really explained. Do you actually produce docs, spreadsheets, etc on the Ipad? I consider myself a "power" user in that I deal heavily in spreadsheets, presentations, and documents on my laptop, but have never once used my Ipad 1, 3 and now Air to produce the same. My Ipad is purely for consumption (reading, web surfing, music and video) whether I want to admit it or not. I keep going back and forth on whether to pick up the rMini instead since I also travel a great deal and the portability is attractive.

24. isephmusic macrumors 6502

the problem is you guys using ur over saturated iPhone 5 and then going wow the mini is so faded. use a color calibration and you will see a lot of apple products are purposely over saturated to make consumers say wow ! such screen ! so contrast ! lol

when i went from iPhone 5 to nexus 5 i was bummed about the screen it wasn't as deep and rich but then i got used to the cooler colors. the world outside is not as vibrant as screen makes them out to be and a lot of times people want to see these extremely AMOLED and IPS screens with such high saturation when even-tone looks much more natural

25. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

This is where apple fails miserably. Take for example, the galaxy note 3 which I own. It has 1920x1080 in a 5.7" screen. It's super amoled and comes with all the amoled cons (image retention, over saturation, etc) - but inside JB 4.3 on this samsung device, you can set the different color profiles. So it doesn't have to be overly colorful or bad taste.

You don't even get these options in iOS but then again, most of you who buy these apple devices say you don't think this gamut-gate issue is an issue and why even bother to have color profiles. Most of you are still saying that the iPad 3/4/5, iPhone 4/4s/5/5s are all "overly saturated" to draw consumer attention to buy the device because it's so pretty.

This gamut-gate is real and you are just guinea pigs for yet another apple update. See you in 2014 when the iPad mini 3 unveils with a real iPad retina screen.