Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I purchased an Air but opted to return it in favor of the rMini. Did I sit them side by side and compare every corner, top, bottom, left and right on the display, NO! I do not think most users do this. While the color gamut on the rMini may not be is good as the Air, I cannot tell it in the everyday things that I do. It just does not bother me and I just do not see it as a compromise. I kept the rMini for the size, weight and of course hugely improved speed and display. None of these devices are absolutely perfect anyway.

I personally think this forum represents a segment of our society which has grown to expect perfection and well go beyond any reasonable effort to obtain it. Including bringing them back up to a dozen times. Apple is better than me I would implement the 3 strikes and you are out rule. 3 returns and we give you your money back and bye bye.

The good news is that most folks buy these things and just enjoy using them without getting stuck on expecting perfection and therefore testing out every little flaw they remotely hear about to make sure theirs is perfect. If it wasn't so crazy it would be laughable.

By the way the rMini has a lower color gamut if you need a 100% do not buy a rMini. Pretty simple!

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Some people are happy to compromise or make do, some are always striving for perfection. I don't think there's anything wrong with either tbh, and I don't think one should be criticised.

I fall into the second category, which can bring it's headaches though tbh. I don't deliberately look for flaws all the time, most times they stick out like a sore thumb and once noticed I can't see past them.

I am thinking about therapy btw lol ;)

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Your Apple hate is quite comical. Apple has the best customer service in the industry, period. Honestly I don't understand why they don't ban the OCD maniacs who exchange 7 iPads.
You either have Apple stock, work at Apple or have no other hobbies than being on this board 24-7?

Its a fact the Mini Retina screen doesnt have the same pop the screen on the Air has. This has nothing to do with bashing Apple, it's just an observation.

And about that OCD blabla because someone exchanges an Apple item and customer service: I got an Air today at the Apple store which clearly had a speck of black dust dead in the middle of the screen. Asked for an exchange and the manager and sales guy looked at me like I was crazy and annoying. If I pay $700+ for a device which main feature is supposed to be the screen I want it to be damn near perfect out of the box.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
You either have Apple stock, work at Apple or have no other hobbies than being on this board 24-7?

The latter.

Its a fact the Mini Retina screen doesnt have the same pop the screen on the Air has. This has nothing to do with bashing Apple, it's just an observation.

Ummm, don't take offense, but my comment wasn't directed at you. Not sure where your coming from on this. :confused:

And about that OCD blabla because someone exchanges an Apple item and customer service: I got an Air today at the Apple store which clearly had a speck of black dust dead in the middle of the screen. Asked for an exchange and the manager and sales guy looked at me like I was crazy and annoying. If I pay $700+ for a device which main feature is supposed to be the screen I want it to be damn near perfect out of the box.

And did they exchange it?

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Can you expand on this? Otherwise, it's a rote answer that I see often repeated but never really explained. Do you actually produce docs, spreadsheets, etc on the Ipad? I consider myself a "power" user in that I deal heavily in spreadsheets, presentations, and documents on my laptop, but have never once used my Ipad 1, 3 and now Air to produce the same. My Ipad is purely for consumption (reading, web surfing, music and video) whether I want to admit it or not. I keep going back and forth on whether to pick up the rMini instead since I also travel a great deal and the portability is attractive.
I use a lot of music (creation) applications and for most of them the larger size makes them actually playable. I don't create spreadsheets, but I do write. When I was on my ipad 3, I was averaging about 200 words a day. When I got the mini I would always leave it and instead elect to do it on my clunky work laptop. On my ipad air, my writing habit is back, and it's useful because I take the ipad to more places than my work laptop.

I also find it useful for games like xcom. The mini is more like the phone experience in that regard (which is not terrible, but a different experience definitely).

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Your Apple hate is quite comical. Apple has the best customer service in the industry, period. Honestly I don't understand why they don't ban the OCD maniacs who exchange 7 iPads.

Maybe, just maybe, it's not about not knowing any better. Maybe it's about MILLIONS of people being 100% satisfied with their purchase, and compared to that, the small minority that are NOT is too insignificantly small to cause Apple to change their design or production plans. Chew on THAT.

No, I quite like Apple products, I just don't like having to exchange one of their products over and over again for obvious defects. I'd agree that their custom service is the best in the industry, but their QC has slipped.

As for your second point, yes, that's exactly what I've been saying.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Unless you bothered to compare the Air with the Mini, side by side, you'd never even know!

I don't really agree with that. Initially I did compare the screens side by side and could see an obvious difference but I figured, how ofter would I really be doing that? I've had iPhones with cooler screens, and iPads with warmer screens and you could only tell when they were both next to each other, not in every day use. That said, having used the rMini for the last 24 hours, I notice the difference in saturation all the time. I think after having used an iPad 4 for a year, and having an iPhone 5S and a Retina MacBook, you just become used to the saturation level, and seeing the lower levels on the rMini is more noticeable than if the rMini is the only device you own.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I don't really agree with that. Initially I did compare the screens side by side and could see an obvious difference but I figured, how ofter would I really be doing that? I've had iPhones with cooler screens, and iPads with warmer screens and you could only tell when they were both next to each other, not in every day use. That said, having used the rMini for the last 24 hours, I notice the difference in saturation all the time. I think after having used an iPad 4 for a year, and having an iPhone 5S and a Retina MacBook, you just become used to the saturation level, and seeing the lower levels on the rMini is more noticeable than if the rMini is the only device you own.

lol this is what i said in another thread and got bashed. For someone's first device into apple I think it would be great, but those of us with retina anything will see the difference immediately. None of my retina devices are the same yellow or redness (my ipad 3 is pink tint, 15 rmbp red ips tint, 5s yellow tint) and i can use all of those just fine because they're evenly distributed.

The air i just got has the fairly common yellow to blue shift from left to right, whereas the mini was both yellow and gamuted (the sharp's in store only had the gamut difference). I really don't want to play the return game again, but its noticeable to me anytime i'm browsing on safari looking left to right at the tabs at the top of the screen.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Nonsense! I have retina everything and the difference in color gamut with rMini is just not nearly as huge a deal as some of you are making it.

Previous poster said he did not agree yet admits to comparing side by side. LOL

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
If you go into any android forum, you will see the same mix of fanboys and trolls.

True - but you don't see the type of crazies here who return their ipads/iphones/macbooks for the dumbest reasons such as a 1/2mm scratch near the speaker grille hole, one dead pixel on the left edge of the screen, light bleeding because it's pitch black and you crank you're brightness up 100%, and worse of all multiple returns to the apple store so they can get their "ideal perfect" apple device.

Android is lucky they don't have a place to go to except the retailer they bought it from; you don't see android devices being swapped out 7 times just so satisfy some apple buyer's pleasures.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Appreciate the insight guys, leaning towards a 32g mini - once I find one locally that is.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Nonsense! I have retina everything and the difference in color gamut with rMini is just not nearly as huge a deal as some of you are making it.

Tbh that's a matter of opinion and depends how important the screen is to you. To some the functionality is the most important and as long as it's on a decent screen it's fine. To some (and I put myself in this bracket) the screen is right up there as a main priority. I admit I didn't notice first time around when I looked at it as I just browsed through the settings menus etc which are mainly white anyway. When I went back for a second look I did some internet browsing and noticed it straight away on the sites I'm familiar with. I admit I did then started to analyse it more closely, but I'd already noticed before this.

On one site I use quite a bit it's blatantly obvious, and one strange thing is for some reason safari on my Mac used to render it in the same 'washed' out colours, and is one of the reasons I use chrome instead. I did use safari again last week to sort out my bookmarks and this same site now renders the colours much more brightly and much more in keep with chrome, and also how it looks on my iphone 5. Very strange :confused:

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Appreciate the insight guys, leaning towards a 32g mini - once I find one locally that is.

Good luck with that, in the UK there's none available in stores within a 100 miles radius from me (not that I'd travel that far for one, was just curious). I've just ordered one for my wife online and the estimated delivery date is 7-10 days time which I don't think's bad.

There's the 64GB one available at my local store and I'm seriously tempted, but I'm still not sure if I'm better off with the air due to the screen :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I purchased an Air but opted to return it in favor of the rMini. Did I sit them side by side and compare every corner, top, bottom, left and right on the display, NO! I do not think most users do this. While the color gamut on the rMini may not be is good as the Air, I cannot tell it in the everyday things that I do. It just does not bother me and I just do not see it as a compromise. I kept the rMini for the size, weight and of course hugely improved speed and display. None of these devices are absolutely perfect anyway.

I personally think this forum represents a segment of our society which has grown to expect perfection and well go beyond any reasonable effort to obtain it. Including bringing them back up to a dozen times. Apple is better than me I would implement the 3 strikes and you are out rule. 3 returns and we give you your money back and bye bye.

The good news is that most folks buy these things and just enjoy using them without getting stuck on expecting perfection and therefore testing out every little flaw they remotely hear about to make sure theirs is perfect. If it wasn't so crazy it would be laughable.

By the way the rMini has a lower color gamut if you need a 100% do not buy a rMini. Pretty simple!

The lower gamut is substantial though. Like 30% lower.

I notice it even on a regular home screen. Flipboard, My Verizon, Music, etc... are all muted and not the red they are supposed to be.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
From an iPad Air owner, my observations of the rMini is this:

I love the pixel density of the rMini and the weight/size difference, but that's where my likes stop...

I'm one of the minority who can even see pixel structure on 300-350ppi screens so, sticking with the Air and it's 264ppi is somewhat of a step backwards in that regard, but worth it if that means I get a better color reproduction.
I'm not seeing any broad consensus on this yet (point me in the direction of it, if it exists), so I'll just ask you regarding the higher pixel density on the new mini:

Seriously? I waited for the 3rd-gen iPad because I wanted the Retina display, and then I picked up an Air when it launched. This weekend, I went into the Apple store, asked where the new minis were, picked one up and IMMEDIATELY noticed a WORSE pixel density. Just from looking at the text labels of icons on the home page, the text looked pixelated and rough. It was more obvious to me when I opened up Safari and went to a news site. I had to check the back of the device to make sure it had one of the new colors on the back because I really thought I had picked up an original mini instead.

Sure, the Retina mini is supposed to have a higher pixel density, but to me, text looks far more clear and smooth on the Air than on the new mini.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
...This weekend, I went into the Apple store, asked where the new minis were, picked one up and IMMEDIATELY noticed a WORSE pixel density...

You sure you picked up an rMini? :p

----------

...the Retina mini is supposed to have a higher pixel density, but to me, text looks far more clear and smooth on the Air than on the new mini.

I dont doubt you, but to me this further proves that human perception is subjective, so regardless of paper specs one has to put eyeballs on these screens before making up one's mind. Either that or the rMini you picked up was mislabeled...

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I'm not seeing any broad consensus on this yet (point me in the direction of it, if it exists), so I'll just ask you regarding the higher pixel density on the new mini:

Seriously? I waited for the 3rd-gen iPad because I wanted the Retina display, and then I picked up an Air when it launched. This weekend, I went into the Apple store, asked where the new minis were, picked one up and IMMEDIATELY noticed a WORSE pixel density. Just from looking at the text labels of icons on the home page, the text looked pixelated and rough. It was more obvious to me when I opened up Safari and went to a news site. I had to check the back of the device to make sure it had one of the new colors on the back because I really thought I had picked up an original mini instead.

Sure, the Retina mini is supposed to have a higher pixel density, but to me, text looks far more clear and smooth on the Air than on the new mini.

Wow, I'm amazed at how people see things differently. Firstly I'm amazed I read in the post above that someone can see the pixel structure, I thought the whole point of the retina is that the pixels are undetectable to the human eye? :confused: And they you're saying the text on the rMini looked pixelated and rough. On all 4 rMinis I've seen I would say the text is the best and smoothest of any iDevice I've seen. Certainly better than my iPad 3, better than the Airs I looked at (although the Airs are superb), and on par (maybe better) than my iphone 5. Are you absolutely 100% sure you picked up a rMini and not and old mini?

I sound like a broken record now but I so wish they hadn't used the smaller gamut. There's just no reason and it's so disappointing :(

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

you do know they updated the COLORS on the normal 299$ mini right?
you where looking at an older mini..obviously. they just might of not changed that one or that row of them yet but you don't see pixels on the new screen. at all...

Aetherhole

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
Tustin, CA

You sure you picked up an rMini? :p

----------

I dont doubt you, but to me this further proves that human perception is subjective, so regardless of paper specs one has to put eyeballs on these screens before making up one's mind. Either that or the rMini you picked up was mislabeled...

Absolutely a subjective thing, for sure. I definitely agree that the higher pixel density makes text look better. It's a broadly general consensus, but most certainly not a unanimous consensus.

Wow, I'm amazed at how people see things differently. Firstly I'm amazed I read in the post above that someone can see the pixel structure, I thought the whole point of the retina is that the pixels are undetectable to the human eye? :confused: And they you're saying the text on the rMini looked pixelated and rough. On all 4 rMinis I've seen I would say the text is the best and smoothest of any iDevice I've seen. Certainly better than my iPad 3, better than the Airs I looked at (although the Airs are superb), and on par (maybe better) than my iphone 5. Are you absolutely 100% sure you picked up a rMini and not and old mini?

I sound like a broken record now but I so wish they hadn't used the smaller gamut. There's just no reason and it's so disappointing :(

It might be more to do with a trained eye, rather than "easily seeing" it, for many people. As they say, "Ignorance is bliss." If you don't know what to look for and, more importantly, how to look for something, you may just not see it. I'm very, VERY picky about picture/display qualities and differences, so tiny, minute details and differences stand out to me.

"Retina" displays are only "undetectable" at a certain viewing distance away. If you get closer than the suggested viewing distance and pixel structure becomes more clear. Some still may not see it at a closer distance based on their own visual acuity, not knowing what to look for, or simply not caring to look for it.

Just like the color gamut issue, some people may not have the visual acuity to see it; others may not have the knowledge of what to look for to fully see it; some simply don't care; some may even just simply prefer shifted colors or slightly less vibrant colors.

Once you are fully aware of something, if it bothers you, that problem becomes MUCH more obvious and easier to point out every time.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Absolutely a subjective thing, for sure. I definitely agree that the higher pixel density makes text look better. It's a broadly general consensus, but most certainly not a unanimous consensus.

It might be more to do with a trained eye, rather than "easily seeing" it, for many people. As they say, "Ignorance is bliss." If you don't know what to look for and, more importantly, how to look for something, you may just not see it. I'm very, VERY picky about picture/display qualities and differences, so tiny, minute details and differences stand out to me.

"Retina" displays are only "undetectable" at a certain viewing distance away. If you get closer than the suggested viewing distance and pixel structure becomes more clear. Some still may not see it at a closer distance based on their own visual acuity, not knowing what to look for, or simply not caring to look for it.

Just like the color gamut issue, some people may not have the visual acuity to see it; others may not have the knowledge of what to look for to fully see it; some simply don't care; some may even just simply prefer shifted colors or slightly less vibrant colors.

Once you are fully aware of something, if it bothers you, that problem becomes MUCH more obvious and easier to point out every time.

lol.. So true. I was thinking that those that do not have any eye for detail or those that generally don't know the difference, see the difference, feel the difference or taste the difference are usually pretty happy :) in life :p For some people in life everything is great or good enough while for others nothing is ever great or good enough.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012

Oh ok, I thought he meant in 'normal' use, not under scrutiny and at a few inches away from the eye :)

----------

lol.. So true. I was thinking that those that do not have any eye for detail or those that generally don't know the difference, see the difference, feel the difference or taste the difference are usually pretty happy :) in life :p For some people in life everything is great or good enough while for others nothing is ever great or good enough.

Agreed. My wife couldn't give two hoots that the colours are 'faded' in the rMini, whereas to me it's a huge deal. I'm like it with everything though, from music to screens to cars etc. I do think it causes me more 'stress' though and wish I could be as blase´as my wife about these things lol

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

That can be an eye for detail (or lack thereof) or it can be attitude. Getting mad over things like this is pointless. As you get older, you get more perspective, and you prioritize what you care about. Some of us learn that getting mad (at Apple or anybody) is a waste of effort. Dont confuse lack of getting mad with lack of passion or interest. It is just that some of the folks here get so worked up about things like gamut that it makes your wonder...

There is also Apple, who as a company is designing products to be used by its customers, and it is impossible to please everyone. So they do market studies and focus groups and they have their own internal compass and strategies about how they want to go about producing products. They make a decision. The decision, no matter what it is, is bound to upset someone. They can add 4GB of RAM, cover the whole gamut, and basically install jetpacks on their iPads, but they would cost more and satisfy only a very small percentage of their customer base. So they balance the features they include with the available technology to hit a particular price point and profit margin to satisfy the majority of their customers, but they miss a few who want or expect more. They can't please everybody. Somebody is getting upset no matter what. So they aim to please as many people as they can. And the numbers prove that they have been successful at that.

It would be nice if they had a Pro version of the iPad, like the Mac Pro or MacBook Pro, more expensive but with higher end features. That would be nice. Let them know at http://www.apple.com/feedback/.

In the meantime what they do have out is pretty nice for most people. Even with the iPad Pro I can GUARANTEE you there will be people not happy. It will be the price. It will be the size. It will be the weight. Whatever. You can't please everybody. :rolleyes:

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
That can be an eye for detail (or lack thereof) or it can be attitude. Getting mad over things like this is pointless. As you get older, you get more perspective, and you prioritize what you care about. Some of us learn that getting mad (at Apple or anybody) is a waste of effort. Dont confuse lack of getting mad with lack of passion or interest. It is just that some of the folks here get so worked up about things like gamut that it makes your wonder...

There is also Apple, who as a company is designing products to be used by its customers, and it is impossible to please everyone. So they do market studies and focus groups and they have their own internal compass and strategies about how they want to go about producing products. They make a decision. The decision, no matter what it is, is bound to upset someone. They can add 4GB of RAM, cover the whole gamut, and basically install jetpacks on their iPads, but they would cost more and satisfy only a very small percentage of their customer base. So they balance the features they include with the available technology to hit a particular price point and profit margin to satisfy the majority of their customers, but they miss a few who want or expect more. They can't please everybody. Somebody is getting upset no matter what. So they aim to please as many people as they can. And the numbers prove that they have been successful at that.

It would be nice if they had a Pro version of the iPad, like the Mac Pro or MacBook Pro, more expensive but with higher end features. That would be nice. Let them know at http://www.apple.com/feedback/.

In the meantime what they do have out is pretty nice for most people. Even with the iPad Pro I can GUARANTEE you there will be people not happy. It will be the price. It will be the size. It will be the weight. Whatever. You can't please everybody. :rolleyes:

Interesting perspective, put across very well :)

Unfortunately I'm getting less tolerant as I get older, I'm turning into a proper grumpy old man lol. I think though in this case it's more of a disappointment than annoyance ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.