Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad Now Available in AT&T and Verizon Retail Stores

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the announcement earlier this month that AT&T and Verizon would begin offering the iPad in their retail stores, both wireless carriers have followed through and launched the device on schedule today.

AT&T is offering only the three Wi-Fi + 3G models, priced at Apple's standard $629/$729/$829. The company also continues to offer its two no-contract monthly data plans at 250 MB ($14.99) and 2 GB ($25.00). Monthly international data plans are also available for those traveling outside of the United States, although at significantly higher prices than domestic data.

For its part, Verizon is offering the the Wi-Fi-only iPad models, promoting bundles with the carrier's MiFi mobile hotspot for $629.99/$729.99/$829.99, effectively offering an over-50% discount on the MiFi's standard no-contract price of $269.99. No-contract monthly data plans for the iPad/MiFi bundle are offered at 1 GB ($20), 3 GB ($35), 5 GB ($50) and 10 GB ($80). The carrier is also offering unbundled Wi-Fi iPads for $499.99/$599.99/$699.99.

Article Link: iPad Now Available in AT&T and Verizon Retail Stores

Last edited:

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Seems weird that Verizon would only do the Wifi model and then sell their own hotspot. ATT seems to have a way better deal here.

Comment

SterlingDove

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Verizon prices would be better...

if they offered 1 GB ($15), 3GB ($30), 5 GB ($40), and 10 GB ($70). Seems that this would make the iPads fly off the shelf.

Comment

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Between the two options, the Verizon deal is better, no?
(Mifi hotspot can also be used for laptops, etc.)

Comment

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
No reason to get one of the international data plans...

I recently went to Australia with my 3G iPad and one of the first things I did was walk into a store and buy a prepaid micro-SIM (Something like 4GB of data for $30). Popped it in my iPad right in the store and a little bit later had screaming fast prepaid internet that lasted my whole trip.

This is the power of having an unlocked device!

At the same time I was paying $30 for tons of data... I wracked up over $100 in international calling on my (and my wife's) iPhones in Australia. This has me really thinking about heading up to Canada to grab an unlocked iPhone4 so I can do the same prepaid SIM trick for voice next time...

But I'm sure some people out there won't know that it's an option...

Comment

Fastshutter

Aug 21, 2007
The best deal is if you already have a Smartphone with Verizon that works as a hotspot. That plan costs $20 for 2GB, and you don't have to buy the mifi. I have a Droid X, so that is the way I'm going.

Comment

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
What has Verizon been smoking??

With those "incredible data plans", no one with a healthy brain will get go with any of their plans.

I don't care about MiFi for the iPad. One more junk to carry around and keep charged. Plus, you'll get it for $99.00 only with a 2-Year Contract, or pay the full price.

Plain iPad WiFi (even with MiFi) means no GPS, no Push Notifications, less battery charge life.

AT&T is now going to sell a lot more iPads + 3G service.

I'm so happy I was able to get Unlimited Plan at the last minute!

We need T-Mobile to compete with AT&T on the iPad 3G. Their network may not be as big, but their plans are more down to Earth.

Comment

NeroAZ

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
The Mifi devices are pretty cool devices.

I bought a virgin mobile one for $150 at best buy, and for $40/mo i get unlimited data with it. virgin uses sprint's network.

i've had it about a week and like it a lot.

Comment

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

@NinjaHero..

iPad 3G is GSM.. Why would Verizon sell the 3G iPad that doesn't work on their network?

Comment

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The Mifi devices are pretty cool devices.

I bought a virgin mobile one for $150 at best buy, and for $40/mo i get unlimited data with it. virgin uses sprint's network.

i've had it about a week and like it a lot.

A friend told me about it, and yes, their plan makes more $en$e.
I never liked Sprint due to their terrible way to do business and screw their customers, but in this case we you are dealing with Virgin Mobile instead, so their Unlimited Plan sounds very appealing.

What speeds are you getting with it?

Comment

dexthageek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
I am still disappointed in the Bandwidth Caps and Cost for that bandwidth. Why are we stepping backwards :(

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Seems weird that Verizon would only do the Wifi model and then sell their own hotspot. ATT seems to have a way better deal here.

I think this actually gives verizon a slight competitive advantage. Their system while two-piece, does ALSO support your laptop, iPod Touch, iPhone, and even multiple iPads. I think up to 5 devices to moderate bandwidth hogging.

Since Verizon prices its data plan lower than AT&T's dongle plans, it is a winner.

We might see people take advantage of this by having AT&T plans on their iPhones and iPad 3G's and use the Verizon "hot spot" (dongle) to fill in for other devices, service hole areas or to double available bandwidth when doing heavy task work.

I like it.

Rocketman

Waiting for a "multi-homing" wireless cell laptop. Two carriers, two signals, few dead spots, bandwidth out the a$$. :D

Comment

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

@NinjaHero..

iPad 3G is GSM.. Why would Verizon sell the 3G iPad that doesn't work on their network?

Obviously, it should need to be an iPad CDMA and/or EVDO instead. The problem is their rates make no sense, considering they force you into a 2-year Contract to get their device at a lower price.

The only beneficial Verizon Plan would be the 1 GB for $20, but not even, AT&T offers 2GB for $5 more.
That's too bad, because I really dislike AT&T, and I'm stuck with them because there's still no better data deal for the iPad.

Comment

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
I think this part of Verizon's plan to earn the iPhone. What other option did Verizon have to get the iPad? There is no CDMA option.

Comment

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Choice good, this choice is obvious

Hmmm.....I"ve got $629 to purchase an iPad. What to do?....

Verizon:

* Wifi only iPad (no GPS!)
* Connects via mifi to slower CDMA network
* mifi device only compatible here in US....won't work globally
* mifi device has a much shorter battery life than the iPad.
* Must configure/carry/charge/connect another separate device
* No GPS chip in the Wifi iPad

AT&T:

* Wifi + 3G + GPS Model for same price as Verizon's Wifi-only model
* AT&T 3G GSM is faster than Verizon's CDMA
* 3G is global
* Free access to over 20k wifi hotspots (don't need to use valuable GBs on plan)
* lower monthly service entry price point

I'm sorry....the Verizon solution looks adhoc. It appears like some engineer at Verizon said "Hey, if we connect this to that, configure this other device, use some glue and other connectors, we can make this iPad work on our network!"

The day that I forget to charge this mifi device is the day I regret this solution.

Comment

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Whitefish Bay, WI

A lot of this is not true. I was JUST in an AT&T store and the guy said their iPad plan was unlimited data for $30.

Similarly, if they were to offer the data plans, it's 200 MB not 250 MB as the article states.

Comment

nikhsub1

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
So Verizon's solution is one that folks have probably cobbled together a long while ago... their solution is less than ideal - no GPS, carry another device blah blah blah. Anyone excited over this needs their head examined.

Comment

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
"Unleash the iPad"...Unleash??

I bet Apple wished they'd thought of that one... :rolleyes:

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Is the verizon version stamped with Vzwwww and has Bing as search engine default?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.