Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CCCP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Hello MacRumors,

I love the iPad except for three things: dead pixels, yellow screen issues and dust particles under the screen.

I'm on my fifth (5th) iPad... :(

1st iPad: Got it about 14 days after the official release date in USA via Borderlinx. 4 dead pixels in the middle of the screen. Sold it and ordered a new one from USA via Borderlinx.

2nd iPad: 3 dead pixel and several dust particles under the screen. Sold it and ordered a new one one from USA via Borderlinx.

3rd iPad: 5 dead pixels, yellow screen issue and several dust particles under the screen. Sold it and ordered a new one one from USA via Borderlinx.

4th iPad: 1 Dead pixel and dust particles under the screen. Sold it and order a new one but this time from Germany (because they just released it there).

5th iPad: My current iPad. 1 Dead pixel and several dust particles. I'm going to sell this one as well.

I'm not going to buy another iPad until Apple decides to release it in my country so I can buy it in a locale store and test it before purchase.

Edit: My 5th iPad.

myipad.jpg

Edit 2: Dust particle under the screen, dead pixel (or more like partial dead pixel) and some more dust particles under the screen.

ipaddustdeadpixeldust.jpg

Darth Maniac

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Given you say its not available in your country is it possible you have been sold "B" grade stock eg: returned goods?

Seems odd to have that many problems :(

gecis

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Where do you live? I got mine a couple of days ago and its impeccable.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Who are borderlinx? Are they brand new, shrink-wrapped unopened official stock that you've been buying? As you haven't returned it to them for a refund, rather than selling them on, makes me think you have been buying what other people have already tried and decided they don't like - probably doing exactly the same as what you're doing.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
So you are selling faulty ipad? Thats poor poor by you.

If he's importing them what else can he realistically do? Shipping back to the US would be expensive and the local Apple Store wont touch them.

So what if he's selling them, if the buyers aren't happy I'm sure they'll let him know.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Hello world,

I love the iPad except for three things: dead pixels, yellow screen issues and dust particles under the screen.

1st iPad: Got it about 14 days after the official release date in USA via Borderlinx. 4 dead pixels in the middle of the screen. Sold it and ordered a new one from USA via Borderlinx.

2nd iPad: 3 dead pixel and several dust particles under the screen. Sold it and ordered a new one one from USA via Borderlinx.

3rd iPad: 5 dead pixels, yellow screen issue and several dust particles under the screen. Sold it and ordered a new one one from USA via Borderlinx.

4th iPad: 1 Dead pixel and dust particles under the screen. Sold it and order a new one but this time from Germany (because they just released it there).

5th iPad: My current iPad. 1 Dead pixel and several dust particles. I'm going to sell this one as well.

I'm not going to buy another iPad until Apple decides to release it in my country so I can buy it in a locale store and test it before purchase.

I don't believe this at all.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Why would you order one from Germany? Nothing special about them there? And they've been out there for a good few months..

EDIT: I too don't believe this.. Why would you sell it when you'd be covered under warranty..

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
My only problem with my iPad is the thin rubber seal between the aluminum case and the glass screen. If I trace my finger around them, I can feel some rough areas - especially the entire bottom side.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
If this story is true then I would question this Borderlinx company. They may buy factory defects or damaged goods and sell hem to poor suckers in countries where the iPad isn't released yet because they know people will want a way to buy them.

I don't have my iPad yet but I would think if they were that bad we would have heard a bit more about it then some random thread on a user forum.

MikeTheRocker96

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Canada
I'm sorry to hear that. Not to gloat or anything but I purchased mine about two weeks ago and it had/has no build flaws. Maybe the place you're buying them from sells defective iPads.

ScrewTheDaisies

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
coolwater said:
My only problem with my iPad is the thin rubber seal between the aluminum case and the glass screen. If I trace my finger around them, I can feel some rough areas - especially the entire bottom side.

I have that problem, too, with the most prominent area on mine being the top left corner.

CCCP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Sorry you have had a bad experience

More like 5 bad experiences... ;)

Given you say its not available in your country is it possible you have been sold "B" grade stock eg: returned goods?

No, they where all sealed and new in box.

So you are selling faulty ipad? Thats poor poor by you.

No, I wrote in every single ad about the problem(s). The buyer knew what was wrong when they bought it. I lost money on each and every iPad I sold. :(

Who are borderlinx? Are they brand new, shrink-wrapped unopened official stock that you've been buying? As you haven't returned it to them for a refund, rather than selling them on, makes me think you have been buying what other people have already tried and decided they don't like - probably doing exactly the same as what you're doing.

Yes, they are bought straight from Apples US online store.

Borderlinx is used by private consumers to buy all sorts of products and merchandise overseas. I use Borderlinx shipping adress so Apple ship my order to that adress because they don't ship overseas. Borderlinx then send it to my home adress for a "small" fee.

I did not return them because of the shipping cost. Better to sell and try again.

I don't believe this at all.

Why?

+1. This is clearly a false story made up by someone who dislikes Apple.

Not at all. Apple user since 1990-91 and loving it... most of the time. ;)

Why would you order one from Germany?

Because I don't want to wait +14 days when ordering from the US via Borderlinx. It only takes 2 days from Germany to my doorstep with UPS or DHL.

If this story is true then I would question this Borderlinx company. They may buy factory defects or damaged goods and sell hem to poor suckers in countries where the iPad isn't released yet because they know people will want a way to buy them.

No, Borderlinx is used as a "middle hand". I make an account at Borderlinx and get a "personal" shipping adress in the US. I order my iPad from Apple US online store and use the adress Borderlinx provided. Apple then send out my order to Borderlinx and they in return ship my order for a "small" fee to my home adress.

They are not factory defects or damaged goods, they are brand new and sealed in the original box.

Edit: I even got the "invoice" from Apple US online store.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Apple can't have this poor quality control so it must be bad luck.

Well, there have been millions of the things sold, i'd guess i've read of a few tens of people complaining about your problem on here, i don't know of anyone personally who's had any similar issues, yet you had four/five faulty iPads in a row?

Certainly something not right there - but i don't think it's Apple's quality control (at least, certainly no worse than any other company, and probably much better - there will always be a very small proportion of any product from any company with minor problems).

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
Apple can't have this poor quality control so it must be bad luck.

Pretty much, yeah.

Your anecdotal experience sucks but given the massive amount of scrutiny that Apple undergoes every day if there were an issue, we'd know.

I'm not sure if you're lying or incredibly unlucky, but this story basically boils down to:

"Cool story, bro."

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Hello MacRumors,

Edit: My 5th iPad.

myipad.jpg

I call BS on this. Post your pictures with all of your five iPads with these defects. Also, it is your fault that you started to run to another countries and purchased an iPad before it was released it on your country.

CCCP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I call BS on this. Post your pictures with all of your five iPads with these defects. Also, it is your fault that you started to run to another countries and purchased an iPad before it was released it on your country.

I can't post pictures of 5 iPads because I only hade one iPad at a time.

So it's my fault that Apple ships units with dead pixels, dust particles under the screen and yellow screen issues? Yeah, right!

I can post pictures tomorrow on my dead pixel and the dust particles under the screen, when I have access to a better camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.