Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Based solely on the build quality of IPP 10.5 (not its feature set), how happy are you?

• I've had a great experience with my iPad Pro 10.5", no regrets

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • I've had display issues with my iPad Pro 10.5", fixed within warranty period

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I've had display issues with my iPad Pro 10.5" after warranty expired

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I've had bending issues with my iPad Pro 10.5"

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I've had display issues AND bending issues with my iPad Pro 10.5"

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I've had other quality issues with my iPad Pro 10.5" (explain in comments)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
wrong, mine was bent, had white spot, light bleed, on par with air 2 screen distortion and vibrating speakers as worst ever, and I have had them all up to 11” pro which has been the best.

Mmmhmm. Yes, any iPad can be bent.

But no, There was no widespread concern about the 10.5 iPad having a factory defect in arriving bent or being easily bent compared to other iPads or expected durability. That was a 2018 iPad Pro issue.

Glad you got a good 2018 Pro 11” though. Enjoy it, its a beautiful machine.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Mmmhmm. Yes, any iPad can be bent.
Yes if you apply the force strong enough anything can be bent. Even including cars, airplanes and tables. But the main issue with recent iPads that they are bent without applying any force to them. They are bent right out in the Apple Store out of the box.

But no, There was no widespread concern about the 10.5 iPad having a factory defect in arriving bent or being easily bent compared to other iPads or expected durability. That was a 2018 iPad Pro issue.

Glad you got a good 2018 Pro 11” though. Enjoy it, its a beautiful machine.

Actually 10.5 is being bent right out of the box the same way as 2018 iPad Pro. Have a look at various threads discussing people's frustration:

There are many more, just google the issue!

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
My wife is still using her launch day 10.5 pro daily. Zero issues. I'm on these forums almost daily and this is the first time I've seen anyone even ask if the 10.5 was a lemon. Never even heard that rumor. I use a 10.5 pro to record class lessons while teaching from my 2018 12.9. Zero issues with my 10.5 either.

Reactions: kenshiro

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
My wife is still using her launch day 10.5 pro daily. Zero issues. I'm on these forums almost daily and this is the first time I've seen anyone even ask if the 10.5 was a lemon. Never even heard that rumor. I use a 10.5 pro to record class lessons while teaching from my 2018 12.9. Zero issues with my 10.5 either.

You must of missed white spot then lol.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I've had my refurb 10.5 for over two years and have had zero issues with it. Yes, the battery is not as good as it was, but still holds a great charge. The performance has simply been outstanding and screen is amazing (no white spots for me yet). I would highly recommend it for anyone looking to get an iPad at that price (just checked Apple's Refurb site... holy moly, that is a good deal)!

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
The iPad Pro 10.5 inch was a phenomenal industry-leading product. It can no way be described as a lemon.

Obviously the current-gen iPad Pros take things to a whole new level, and that's where people should be putting their money, but the 10.5 is still a solid product even today.

That is my sentiment too. I bought my 10.5 iPP the year it came out, so that’s 3 or 4 years ago? And it’s still going strong for me. I use it a lot to watch Netflix in bed, during my travels, cooking from recipes in it, FT and just housekeeping with it. Don’t see any reason to upgrade it just yet, will do when it starts having issues or die on me.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The iPad Pro 10.5 inch was a phenomenal industry-leading product. It can no way be described as a lemon.

Obviously the current-gen iPad Pros take things to a whole new level, and that's where people should be putting their money, but the 10.5 is still a solid product even today.

Agreed! Definitely not a lemon! However, that iPad 3 certainly was.

Techmaestro

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I just recently purchase the IPP 11” and the device is flawless! I love it!! However, a couple of months ago I purchased a IPP 10.5 on OfferUp (I know, I know) that was of course out of warranty and it suffered from the well publicized white spot issue. I have tendencies toward being OCD about my stuff and that white spot drove me crazy so I sold it just the other week on OfferUp to help fund my new IPP 11“. Heck, there are people still complaining about the issue to this very day. I wouldn’t say it was a lemon but the white spot was an issue.

Reactions: Digitalguy

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Definitely not a lemon! However, that iPad 3 certainly was.
In fairness, the iPad 3's bad only when compared to other iPads. Compared to Android tablets at the time, the iPad 3 aged better (as unbelievable as that sounds).

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife used her iPad 10.5 Pro for several years - heavily for her PhD (Apple Pencil). I used mine for less than a year before selling it to family and getting an Air 3. Neither of us had problems with it other than coconutBattery showing excessive battery wear on both of them.

My wife and I now have 11 Pros. Absolutely beautiful amazing machine that we both hope to get many many years of use.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I’ve had the iPad Pro 10.5” since Christmas of 2017 and it has been great to me for the times that I’ve had it. Never had any issues with it, ran great and did everything I needed it to. I gave that to my sister when I upgraded to the 11” iPad Pro. I only upgraded because needed more storage as the 10.5” only had 256gb and my iPad became my laptop replacement since Catalina murdered my MBP after it was released. So, I say the 10.5” is a great device and I would highly recommend it! It did well for me in the years that I’ve had it and my sister loves it just as much as I did!

Reactions: kenshiro

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I have white spots on my screen 10.5, I am really disappointed in the 10.5. It's a shame because it's still very quick, but the cancerous spots on the display really take the joy out of using it.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have white spots on my screen 10.5, I am really disappointed in the 10.5. It's a shame because it's still very quick, but the cancerous spots on the display really take the joy out of using it.
Yes, for me it has even advantages over the 11 pro (mind you, I use it with the smart keyboard all the time), like touch id, lappable keyboard and lighter (with keyboard), and the keyboard folds back, and headphone jack.
But that ugly white spot prevents me from being completely in love... (although with more and more apps adopting dark mode it's less of an issue, except those damned google apps that google keeps inferior to their Android counterparts...)

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
i've had my 10.5 for two and half years. great device. no issues. great balance of power and battery life.

i think the most underrated aspect of the 10.5 (and the 9 inch pro) is this: 4 speakers at its price point. the current air and base model have two on one side... once you listen enough to the 4-speaker model, two just sounds strange. and the only other model with 4 speakers costs more.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
i've had my 10.5 for two and half years. great device. no issues. great balance of power and battery life.

i think the most underrated aspect of the 10.5 (and the 9 inch pro) is this: 4 speakers at its price point. the current air and base model have two on one side... once you listen enough to the 4-speaker model, two just sounds strange. and the only other model with 4 speakers costs more.
Agreed, I would take the 9.7 pro over the standard ipad any day because of the speakers... (despite the lack of RAM) Same for the 10.5 over the Air 3...(despite the white spot...)
I just can't go back...

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I've had my 10.5" since it was released and it's easily my favorite device. It's still extremely fast, smooth and I love it with a Smart Keyboard. It did develop a white spot after about 2 years but I honestly always forget about it until I see something online. I compared it with the 11" and really saw no need to upgrade.

My wife bought a refurbished one from Apple about 6 months after me and she loves hers as well. No issues with hers.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I had one for about a year and it was an excellent tablet. Sold it and got a Pro 11. Didn't like the squared edges of the Pro 11 so I sold it and got an Air 3 because it has rounded edges and feels much more comfortable in my hand. Love my Air 3! It's a faster Pro 10.5 in my opinion.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
I’ve had my 10.5 for almost 2 years now and it’s showing zero signs of slowing down, it’s still a beast of a tablet and that 120Hz display is a dream to this day; I sometimes turn the option off and back on just to appreciate it more!

I wouldn’t call it a “lemon”, I think the iPad best suited to that badge of honour is the 3rd Gen with Retina Display, a machine that was woefully underpowered and replaced 6 months later as the 3rd gen just couldn’t push the pixels on the display (I bought both).

Reliabilty wise, the only thing I had my Pro replaced for was one of the cellular “lines” at the top of the display started to protrude from the bezel and was quite sharp, so much so that my toddler hurt her finger on it (I know, she shouldn’t have been touching it in the first place before the keyboard parents have their say).

All in all, I’m still happy with the performance and form factor and unless iOS 14 causes major issues I don’t see me upgrading for at least another 12 months or so later.

And when I do upgrade, I won’t be going for an Air or equivalent; once you use ProMotion on an iPad, you can’t go back.

Reactions: achappy

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
So what we have here is 28.2% of people having quality problems with the iPad.

That's 1/3 of users! Wow! :( Like, really, Apple?

That includes 18% of people who had display problem when their warranty unfortunately ended up (like me).

This is really sad to see how Apple is becoming a mass manufacturer of junk even worse than Microsoft in the old times.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So what we have here is 28.2% of people having quality problems with the iPad.

That's 1/3 of users! Wow! :( Like, really, Apple?

That includes 18% of people who had display problem when their warranty unfortunately ended up (like me).

This is really sad to see how Apple is becoming a mass manufacturer of junk even worse than Microsoft in the old times.

That would be 1/3 of users who responded on this thread - not particularly representative of anything.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
That would be 1/3 of users who responded on this thread - not particularly representative of anything.

Well unfortunately this statistics we see is probably even worse. Because there are Apple workers who pretend they are users and actively vote they don't have any problems.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Well unfortunately this statistics we see is probably even worse. Because there are Apple workers who pretend they are users and actively vote they don't have any problems.

Any proof on that? I’ve had my 10.5 for 2+ years without a problem.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
My wife loves her 512gb 10.5” Pro. I have the monthly Apple Care Plus plan so I’m not too worried about the white spot issue. If it shows up, I’ll go to the Apple store and have it swapped out.

I’m actually debating about selling my Air 3 and getting one. I really like the quad speakers and 120hz display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.