Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Based solely on the build quality of IPP 10.5 (not its feature set), how happy are you?

• I've had a great experience with my iPad Pro 10.5", no regrets

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • I've had display issues with my iPad Pro 10.5", fixed within warranty period

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I've had display issues with my iPad Pro 10.5" after warranty expired

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I've had bending issues with my iPad Pro 10.5"

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I've had display issues AND bending issues with my iPad Pro 10.5"

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I've had other quality issues with my iPad Pro 10.5" (explain in comments)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I have two 512GB 10.5” and couldn’t be happier. Picked them both up brand new in a major sale on Walmart.com. I paid $599 each.

Last edited:
Reactions: Euroamerican

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Will never buy any iPad again after 3 lemons from Apple. The last one I have now developed white and dark spots all around the screen.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
If you’re still making payments on it, why didn’t you get AC+ with it or coverage via your carrier (Docomo/Softbank/AU) if that’s how you bought it.
Hope you can get it replaced.

Original topic: I had touch issues with my 2nd gen. 12.9 iPP (same gen. as 10.5”). Even after getting it replaced by Apple it would eventually happen again. I think they replaced mine 2 or 3 times (under AC+). I eventually sold it after getting it replaced the last time and picked up the 3rd gen. 12.9 (2018) iPP. I haven’t had any touch issues with it so far.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
First off, I'm in Japan and bought my iPad Pro 10.5 direct from APPLE and use a cheaper data service than the big 3 services (it piggybacks on the best of those without a contract and works well). Also, I've had a few other iPads over the years, my (bought for the kids) 2nd generation is 8 years old and still usable without problems. And I guess, because of these past non-problems, and I'm just being cheap and didn't want to pay any more for APPLE Care. Yes, I'm stupid, but it just seemed like an APPLE iPad would keep working without issues.

Back to my iPad Pro 10.5... APPLE on-line service was not offering me any help except the $500 repair(replace) option, and to say I could visit my nearest APPLE Store to see if they could do anything else.

Not the travel option I was hoping for with coronavirus (not as bad as the USA, but still very much in my thoughts here in Japan). Chickened out for my appointment last week, but with the touch seeming to be getting worse, made the trip today to Kyoto on the train (I've not taken any public transport to the past 4 months). They saw the white spot screen issue and took my word (didn't have to show it) for the screen touch non-responsiveness. Offered to replace it for again $500usd, and was not too pleased as this is an obvious hardware issue, 2-months out of the warranty. Well, the head of the service talked to me and offered a 'one-time' replacement. So have a new replacement iPad Pro 10.5. Have a 3-month warranty on this, and am seriously thinking of just selling it and getting a new 11" or even a 12.9" and avoid any potential problems down the line (no, I can not get APPLE Care on this new unit, I asked).

So, best I could do, and APPLE, in the end, did come through with it seems inherent issues (but officially unacknowledged) with this model.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
So, I've learned my lesson with APPLE Care, its worth it. And as for the iPad Pro 10.5 is still everything I need and the reason I bought it; great screen, nice styling, good speakers, was cheaper than the newer 11" (bought on APPLE refurbished site, but new), headphone jack, and lighting port (same as my phone), but has issues. If you are lucky and the white spot and screen non-responsiveness problems don't affect you, great! But like my couple MacBook Pro 17" (graphic card problem, class action lawsuit) they probably will in the end. My thinking is to use this for the next couple of months and up-grade to a newest iPad Pro when they are introduced (hopefully) later this year.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So, I've learned my lesson with APPLE Care, its worth it. And as for the iPad Pro 10.5 is still everything I need and the reason I bought it; great screen, nice styling, good speakers, was cheaper than the newer 11" (bought on APPLE refurbished site, but new), headphone jack, and lighting port (same as my phone), but has issues. If you are lucky and the white spot and screen non-responsiveness problems don't affect you, great! But like my couple MacBook Pro 17" (graphic card problem, class action lawsuit) they probably will in the end. My thinking is to use this for the next couple of months and up-grade to a newest iPad Pro when they are introduced (hopefully) later this year.
Depends on the model/configuration. Not really worth it for iPad 10.2 32GB Wi-Fi. On a top of the line iPad Pro? Yeah, I'd definitely get it.

I like that Apple (US) has an ongoing monthly option for AC+ now. Great if keeping a device for more than 2 years. I'd be paralyzed with indecision whether to repair or just use the money towards buying new in case something happens to a device without AC+ given the high OOW repair costs.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Mine is still working well. However I’ve decided that I’d like to upgrade it as I’ve had it for 3 years now. However I can’t decide if I want to get the 11 inch or 12.9 inches.

Reactions: Benhama

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I found a new 11 inch 2018 iPad Pro for £700 so I’ve ordered that. It comes on Monday. As I’ve been so happy with my iPad Pro 10.5 and I’m only upgrading because I can I decided not to go for the 2020 model.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Well, the head of the service talked to me and offered a 'one-time' replacement. So have a new replacement iPad Pro 10.5. Have a 3-month warranty on this, and am seriously thinking of just selling it and getting a new 11" or even a 12.9" and avoid any potential problems down the line (no, I can not get APPLE Care on this new unit, I asked).

That could be the proverbial “jumping out the frying pan, but into the fire”. The 2018 and later 11” and 12.9” iPad Pro models are the worst offenders with unresponsive touch screens.

Reactions: DragonX

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
That could be the proverbial “jumping out the frying pan, but into the fire”. The 2018 and later 11” and 12.9” iPad Pro models are the worst offenders with unresponsive touch screens.

But realistically, how widespread? My 2018 12.9 has been outstanding.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014

I’m can tell you I had a 2nd gen 12.9” Pro and it had the unresponsive screen issue. I got a replacement from the Apple store and *it* had the issue too, less than 6 months later.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m can tell you I had a 2nd gen 12.9” Pro and it had the unresponsive screen issue. I got a replacement from the Apple store and *it* had the issue too, less than 6 months later.

Sounds like we're in need of a "Are all iPad Pro products lemons?" poll.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I have had the iPad 3, mini, mini2, air, air2, pro 10.5 and now the iPad 7. Out of those iPads I have had issues with three of them. The Air had yellow tint on half the screen, the air 2 had bad speakers, the pro 10.5 developed the white spot.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I started out with the iPad 3. I have a large family so I'm able to resell and gift so I've gone through a lot of iPads... iPad 3 --> iPad 4 --> Mini 2 --> Air 2 --> iPad 6? --> Mini 4 --> iPad 10.5 pro --> Air 3 --> Mini 5 --> 11 Pro. We got mother in law an iPad 7th gen?

The order may be a little messed up but that's the best I can get from my memory. Only had a problem with 1 iPad. The iPad 3. Had massive screen bleeding at the edges - was replaced without question at an Apple Store. The rest are still being used by relatives today.

From my experience - I see iPads as really reliable and problem free. :p My wife and I didn't have the white spots with our 10.5s either - and we used ours daily for years.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013

It's pretty widespread! Have a look at all these threads about unresponsive iPad screen during the years. The problem lives on and has never been fixed by Apple:

MacRumors News:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-complain-of-screen-stuttering-issues.2176245
(17+ pages of comments!)

Other forum threads:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/irresponsive-screen-ipad-pro-12-9-2nd-gen.2121051/
(30+ pages of comments!)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-ipad-pro-12-9-screen-intermittently-unresponsive.2118824/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2017-ipad-pro-12-9-becoming-randomly-unresponsive.2243577/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/12-9-ipad-pro-gen-3-touchscreen-problem.2154220/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-pro-stuttering-issue-now-more-widespread.2165593/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/missing-keystrokes.2166241/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/known-problem.2168160/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/10-5-pro-with-unresponsive-screen.2170164/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2nd-gen-10-5”-degraded-touch-screen-sensitivity.2172781/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-pro-12-9-2018-screen-latency-issues.2173735/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/screen-stutter-ipad-pro-2018.2161383/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/screen-touch-unresponsive-on-2018-ipad-pros.2176116/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/screen-stuttering-issue-on-11-ipad-pros.2176379/#post-27268554
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/touch-screen-response-issues.2185806/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/screen-not-always-reacting-to-touch.2205045/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-air-3-serious-lag.2231599/
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ios-13-4.2229261/?post=28387197#post-28387197

RubyNeal

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
I bought my first iPad, a brand new 9.7" IPP 128GB WiFi Only brand new in March 2017 after coming from the Android tablet world and loved it so almost a year later I wanted to upgrade since I'd dropped the 9.7 many times, the screen got cracked all to heck, and it was looking pretty banged up but still worked great so bought a used 10.5" IPP 256GB WiFi Only off Amazon in February 2018 and it worked great until the first 13.x iPadOS upgrade and ever since then the touchscreen response has been problematic. It varies from working fine for a few minutes to laggy to totally unresponsive on a randomly erratic basis. This has ruined my experience owning my iPad, and now I'm fearful of buying another iPad. The original iPad eventually got to where the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore and the lightning port is worn out so it's basically junk now but the touchscreen still worked up to the day I chunked it into my obsolete gadgets drawer. I never upgraded it past 12.x operating system either. I also got an iPhone SE in late 2017 and loved being able to sync it with my IPP 10.5" and thus have always upgraded the OS on both to keep them current. I know the old iPhone SE is getting very "long in the tooth" and the new iPhone SE 2020 edition would be a major upgrade. I despise carrying a phone with a huge screen.... that's what the darn tablet is for, but after upgrading the phone to 13.6, it's touchscreen began to act wonky too, so while most owners believe the iPad touchscreen problems are from faulty hardware, I'm now suspecting that while that may very well be true... that the IOS/iPadOS software upgrades since 13.0 are not innocent little angels either. Even though both devices are religiously backed up to my iCloud account, I am deathly afraid to trust those backups confidently enough to gamble on relying them to attempt any reset/wipe/downgrade/restore operations on my iDevices to attempt downgrading the operating systems in pursuit of solving the touchscreen hell I'm now finding myself living in. I don't own a computer so I can't back the devices up to local hard disk via iTunes, and I have accumulated too many personal photos, videos, documents, etc, to want to risk losing them.

I lost my job when the pandemic shut the economy down, and now living on unemployment so I don't have a big budget to spend money willy-nilly on overpriced new phone plus tablet. There are some excellent deals for getting one of the new 2020 iPhone SE if I switch wireless carriers right now, but doing that plus buying a new iPad at the same time is out of the question. Going back to the Android world on both devices will be mind-blowing cheaper to do right now as well, plus there's very excellent free apps for transferring all my photo/video/audio media and documents from my iDevices/iCloud back to the Android devices world too, and I really don't have many Apple-only apps that I couldn't really live without whichdon't have a functionally useable counterpart in the world of Android either..... I couple of things I'd kinda miss though. But the biggest thing is the security of all my stuff stored on the iDevices and in my iCloud account. Before losing my job, I was an IT network and systems security professional, and my experience is that the Apple world protects the security of your stuff very well. In the Android world, the security of your stuff is about as watertight as a screen door on a submarine..... So, I'm at a crossroads now as what to do. This sux, because now my level of faith in Apple's overpriced hardware and increasingly buggy software is about the same as my level of faith in the Android ecosystem's security and trustworthiness. Decisions..... decisions..... excuse me while I go bang my head against a wall.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I bought my first iPad, a brand new 9.7" IPP 128GB WiFi Only brand new in March 2017 after coming from the Android tablet world and loved it so almost a year later I wanted to upgrade since I'd dropped the 9.7 many times, the screen got cracked all to heck, and it was looking pretty banged up but still worked great so bought a used 10.5" IPP 256GB WiFi Only off Amazon in February 2018 and it worked great until the first 13.x iPadOS upgrade and ever since then the touchscreen response has been problematic. It varies from working fine for a few minutes to laggy to totally unresponsive on a randomly erratic basis. This has ruined my experience owning my iPad, and now I'm fearful of buying another iPad. The original iPad eventually got to where the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore and the lightning port is worn out so it's basically junk now but the touchscreen still worked up to the day I chunked it into my obsolete gadgets drawer. I never upgraded it past 12.x operating system either. I also got an iPhone SE in late 2017 and loved being able to sync it with my IPP 10.5" and thus have always upgraded the OS on both to keep them current. I know the old iPhone SE is getting very "long in the tooth" and the new iPhone SE 2020 edition would be a major upgrade. I despise carrying a phone with a huge screen.... that's what the darn tablet is for, but after upgrading the phone to 13.6, it's touchscreen began to act wonky too, so while most owners believe the iPad touchscreen problems are from faulty hardware, I'm now suspecting that while that may very well be true... that the IOS/iPadOS software upgrades since 13.0 are not innocent little angels either. Even though both devices are religiously backed up to my iCloud account, I am deathly afraid to trust those backups confidently enough to gamble on relying them to attempt any reset/wipe/downgrade/restore operations on my iDevices to attempt downgrading the operating systems in pursuit of solving the touchscreen hell I'm now finding myself living in. I don't own a computer so I can't back the devices up to local hard disk via iTunes, and I have accumulated too many personal photos, videos, documents, etc, to want to risk losing them.

I lost my job when the pandemic shut the economy down, and now living on unemployment so I don't have a big budget to spend money willy-nilly on overpriced new phone plus tablet. There are some excellent deals for getting one of the new 2020 iPhone SE if I switch wireless carriers right now, but doing that plus buying a new iPad at the same time is out of the question. Going back to the Android world on both devices will be mind-blowing cheaper to do right now as well, plus there's very excellent free apps for transferring all my photo/video/audio media and documents from my iDevices/iCloud back to the Android devices world too, and I really don't have many Apple-only apps that I couldn't really live without whichdon't have a functionally useable counterpart in the world of Android either..... I couple of things I'd kinda miss though. But the biggest thing is the security of all my stuff stored on the iDevices and in my iCloud account. Before losing my job, I was an IT network and systems security professional, and my experience is that the Apple world protects the security of your stuff very well. In the Android world, the security of your stuff is about as watertight as a screen door on a submarine..... So, I'm at a crossroads now as what to do. This sux, because now my level of faith in Apple's overpriced hardware and increasingly buggy software is about the same as my level of faith in the Android ecosystem's security and trustworthiness. Decisions..... decisions..... excuse me while I go bang my head against a wall.

I have multiple devices on 13.6, including the 10.5 Pro, and don't have any of the issues you mentioned. Have you considered doing a complete reset and reload? (I also have 6 unused Android tablets and would never go back to Android myself).

RubyNeal

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
I have multiple devices on 13.6, including the 10.5 Pro, and don't have any of the issues you mentioned. Have you considered doing a complete reset and reload? (I also have 6 unused Android tablets and would never go back to Android myself).

I don't know if I can trust restoring all my stuff from an iCloud backup. I've never done that before. I understand that backing up a device locally to a computer via the iTunes software installed on that computer is reportedly pretty bulletproof, but as explained in my wall of text comment above... I don't even own a computer anymore... My phone and tablet have been my sole computer/online access devices for almost 3 years now since I gave up my last personal laptop PC then and losing my job back in March I also lost my access to a work-supplied computer. The way the iCloud backups are architected by one single full initial backup followed by only incremental/differential backups since that initial full backup (as is the architecture of practically all "backup-to-the-cloud" systems regardless of vendor... is a HUGE gamble when it comes to "disaster recovery" restores of an entire computing device's content. In fact, as a former CISSP certified IT security professional, we were taught that a cloud-based backup of an initial full plus a series of diffs/incrementals constitutes "not having a real backup at all" and is given a grade of "F-" if attempted to be passed off as a disaster recovery backup. Only a full, and verified backup of any system that is stored onto backup media you personally have physical possession of... counts as having a real "disaster recovery backup". And a wipe-clean and reload the data operation is the very definition of a disaster recovery restore operation. Thus I am very skittish of attempting a complete reset and reload using and trusting the built-in iCloud backup feature without being shown unrefutable solid proof that whatever is stored in my iCloud backup of this iPad is 100% guaranteed to be there and available without a single bit error and will work perfectly for this purpose before wiping/factory resetting my device. This iPad, as skittish as it's touchscreen is behaving now, is still functioning.... kinda frustrating to use though.... but in my current situation it's a critical lifeline to the world and I don't want to risk bricking it or losing any of my data which ai routinely access with it. Yes I know my "stuff" can still be accessed from my phone, but the screen size, and thus keyboard size of an original iPhone SE is kinda like that space-saver spare tire on a late model car. It ain't useful for any long-haul trips or daily regular use, lol! The original SE is good for phone calls and brief text messaging, and being a handy camera, but trying to use it as a substitute for a real tablet /primary online access device would be an exercise in futility with my nearly 60 yr old eyes and arthritic fingers.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I had my iPad Air 2 for 2.5 years with no issues. I had my iPad Pro 10.5 for 3 years. The only issue I had was with the charging port. It still worked but I needed to wiggle around my lightning cable to get it to charge. That only started happening about 2 months ago after my husband let my 4 year old use it unsupervised when I was at work. I’m sure he must have dropped it or something. They have lasted for me.

Reactions: servenvolley

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I'm on my third 9.7 iPad 6 having replaced the first two because the backlight on the left side started flickering and then progressively got worse and became dim. Sent it in the first time about a year in, and my replacement unit started doing the same another year in and I got it replaced again last month just before my AppleCare+ expired.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I loved my 10.5 until it developed a white spot. It’s like a brand new Cadillac getting a big dent right in the middle of the hood. It doesn’t effect its operation but it can never be unseen or ignored! Other than that it was one of my favorite iPads.

Reactions: Benhama

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
My wife and I started out with the iPad 3. I have a large family so I'm able to resell and gift so I've gone through a lot of iPads... iPad 3 --> iPad 4 --> Mini 2 --> Air 2 --> iPad 6? --> Mini 4 --> iPad 10.5 pro --> Air 3 --> Mini 5 --> 11 Pro. We got mother in law an iPad 7th gen?

The order may be a little messed up but that's the best I can get from my memory. Only had a problem with 1 iPad. The iPad 3. Had massive screen bleeding at the edges - was replaced without question at an Apple Store. The rest are still being used by relatives today.

From my experience - I see iPads as really reliable and problem free. :p My wife and I didn't have the white spots with our 10.5s either - and we used ours daily for years.

I can kind of relate, here goes...I currently have an iPad Pro 11”, I just gave my mother my old iPad Pro 10.5 Pro, my 13 year old gets my moms old iPad Pro 9.7 Pro, my 11 year old has a 6th gen WiFi iPad and my 8 year old also has a 6th gen iPad as well. The only issue would be the 10.5 Pro, it is now, starting to develop just a tiny white spot where everyone else seems to have the same issue. Other than that, I can honestly say I’ve never really had a problem with an iPad.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
I loved my 10.5 until it developed a white spot. It’s like a brand new Cadillac getting a big dent right in the middle of the hood. It doesn’t effect its operation but it can never be unseen or ignored! Other than that it was one of my favorite iPads.

I will admit, I loved my 10.5 Pro, definitely my favorite, but after getting this 11” Pro, it’s definitely become my fav over the 10.5. Pro. I really loved Touch ID, but the Face ID and this screen is amazing!

Reactions: DamonOrl

DamonOrl

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2020
Ordered a 11” iPad Pro this past weekend to replace my 3 year old 10.5 iPad Pro that has more bad days than good anymore with the screen being unresponsive. I was hoping to wait for the new iPad pros, but couldn’t take it anymore. Like others, I have the white spot too, but that doesn’t bother me much.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
As mentioned in my previous posts... I was very fortunate that the APPLE store replaced my iPad Pro 10.5 with white-spot and screen responsiveness issues. Normally something they wouldn't have done (no re-call, or class-action lawsuit, widespread 'acknowledged' issues reported), but the store was closed at the time of my initial noticing the problem because of the coronavirus, and I couldn't come in in-person, so they made a "one-time" exception.

Interestingly, I looked up the manufacturing date of this new iPad, and it's listed as 22 June 2020! It came out of a generic-looking box, not the usual APPLE styled white box. Are they still making these new? I was even surprised when they made the replacement switch that they had in stock at the store, it's not a 'vanilla' version cellular and 256gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.