Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This bug is driving me nuts, because each time I need to use my iPad on the setup I usually have, the whole system crashes and all my apps are purged from RAM.

This happens on an iPad Pro 11” from 2018, and this is the way to make it happen:

Start a voice notes audio recording. Leave it on the background.

Open a text editor app like Pages, and open a PDF on Apple Books or Documents by Readdle. Put them on split screen, on the left Pages and on the right side the PDF. Also the PDF has to take most of the screen space at 75% while leaving the 25% of the left side to Pages. All of this while still recording the audio with voice notes on the background.

Ok, you’re in front of a split screen with Pages taking the 25% of the screen on the left and the PDF taking the remaining 75% of the screen on the right while recording audio on the background. Now just pull down from top right corner (remember, on landscape orientation, this is important), to bring Control Centre and BOOM; the whole system crashes.

I use a lot this set up for my work, and I’m unable to use Control Center unless I go back to the home screen to do so. And I’d like Apple to fix this. This bug is happening on earlier versions of iOS 12 and with the release of iOS 12.2 it is still not fixed.

I have already reported it to Apple, but if you can recreate it and want to help me, please report it as well.

Thank you so much, I’d like to reach to some popular YouTuber to make a video about this issue, because that’s a quick way for Apple to fix it. But I don’t think anyone would care about a crash that is so specific like this one. Maybe Filip from Everything Apple Pro, Daniel from Zone Of Tech... I don’t know

Any help is welcome to reach Apple to fix this annoying crash.

Big thank you.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
What if you don’t keep the 75-25 screen setup?! Does it still crash?

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
What if you don’t keep the 75-25 screen setup?! Does it still crash?

Nope! It is pretty strange TBH, but if the split screen is 50/50 or even 75% on the left, 25% on the PDF on the right, it doesn’t happen. Even if we put the PDF on the left and the text editor on the right, it still doesn’t happen.

But I do need to have the PDF on the right. I know this may sound silly but I’ve been years using this configuration on my Mac, with the text editor on the left side and now I want to replicate it on my new iPad Pro. It is an annoying bug.

This is the configuration I want, and the one that crashes if you pull down the Control Centre if you’re recording on the background. I think it has something to do with the animation and there’d button of audio recording.

Oh, by the way, it also happens with Adobe Reader an other PDF viewers. It must be something about the PDF rendering engine.

Attachments

• A7A2B0D2-DD07-4508-98D5-0F52BB08DD32.png
    A7A2B0D2-DD07-4508-98D5-0F52BB08DD32.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 240
  • 778324DC-C1A0-4AFB-9618-0CC06CE0A15F.png
    778324DC-C1A0-4AFB-9618-0CC06CE0A15F.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 225
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.