Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwp

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2015
LA, CA, US
I will wait until the actual announcement to decide whether I will upgrade, but based on the assumed likely improvements, I do not think I am going to spend the money. I use my 12.9" IPP every single day, so a material improvement can easily justify the cost. Incremental improvements to memory, capacity, speed, or camera, or unimportant (to me) features like 3D touch, are not material enough for me. And honestly, I can't think of something that would be. But Apple has surprised in the past...

Same thing goes for my iPhone 6. I could have 3D touch, incremental improvements to speed or memory, and an improved camera. Or I can keep my $600. So far I have chosen the latter. It is possible that the upcoming iPhone 8 will push me over the edge.

Buying every new gadget the second they come out used to be fun for me. Now I just want them to work. I don't want to have my user experience constantly changing. I don't want to have to re-learn how to use basic things like email. I don't want to migrate all my apps, settings, and data, and worry about potential new incompatibilities. I don't want to have a dongle just to plug in my headphones. Sigh. Just tired of the race I guess.

Reactions: Mr_Killjoy

Mr_Killjoy

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
I will wait until the actual announcement to decide whether I will upgrade, but based on the assumed likely improvements, I do not think I am going to spend the money. I use my 12.9" IPP every single day, so a material improvement can easily justify the cost. Incremental improvements to memory, capacity, speed, or camera, or unimportant (to me) features like 3D touch, are not material enough for me. And honestly, I can't think of something that would be. But Apple has surprised in the past...

Same thing goes for my iPhone 6. I could have 3D touch, incremental improvements to speed or memory, and an improved camera. Or I can keep my $600. So far I have chosen the latter. It is possible that the upcoming iPhone 8 will push me over the edge.

Buying every new gadget the second they come out used to be fun for me. Now I just want them to work. I don't want to have my user experience constantly changing. I don't want to have to re-learn how to use basic things like email. I don't want to migrate all my apps, settings, and data, and worry about potential new incompatibilities. I don't want to have a dongle just to plug in my headphones. Sigh. Just tired of the race I guess.
This is where I'm at lately. Makes life far more enjoyable to not be constantly searching for the next best thing. When you pass on that and instead enjoy what you have it makes for a far better experience.

Reactions: ABC5S and rwp

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The only new feature that would make me upgrade my 12.9 iPP is native video IN and Pencil OUT support, which would probably require a USB-C port. In other words, not happening any time soon.

(Duet Display Pro's Pencil performance has yet to be seen, but the subscription pricing is the real bummer for me. Astropad's Pencil performance is mostly tolerable, but it doesn't turn the iPad's display into an extended display which severely limits its usefulness for me. But ultimately neither 3rd party solution is ideal since the lightning port wasn't designed to handle that type of bandwidth.)

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
True tone
apple pencil
2 touch id
3.5mm headphone jack
4GB of RAM or more
add rose gold color, and JET BLACK

then, it will be a perfect refresh

Reactions: ghsDUDE

WolfeRayet

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
I just bought a 9.7" Pro 32 GB the other day with a $100 discount from BB. Should I take it back and wait for the new models or keep it? I don't care much for hardware upgrades (performance wise) as it does everything I need it to do. But 3D touch and/or amoled display (albeit rumored for 2018) would make me reconsider. So, thoughts?

Thanks in advance

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I just bought a 9.7" Pro 32 GB the other day with a $100 discount from BB. Should I take it back and wait for the new models or keep it? I don't care much for hardware upgrades (performance wise) as it does everything I need it to do. But 3D touch and/or amoled display (albeit rumored for 2018) would make me reconsider. So, thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Do you have an iPad already or are you a first-time buyer?

If the latter, I'd rethink getting the 32gb model.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
The 12.9" needs a better keyboard with multiple angles more than anything else imo. Even if that means a Surface Pro 4 style kickstand.

None of this will happen.

It'll be the usual completely unimaginative iPad Math889 says above. Which would still be a great iPad, but doesn't really resolve outstanding issues, merely marginally improves the existing experience.

WolfeRayet

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Do you have an iPad already or are you a first-time buyer?

If the latter, I'd rethink getting the 32gb model.

This is my first iPad. I'm now thinking on whether to exchange it for a 128 gig model or just wait for next year.

Thanks.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
This is my first iPad. I'm now thinking on whether to exchange it for a 128 gig model or just wait for next year.

Thanks.

Well, next year promises little for the Pro 9.7". we may be a minor refresh of the 12.9" to TT display and the introduction of a Pro 10.5" possibly.

It's your call whether to keep it. If you do keep it, I'd return it and get much more storage...32gb is much too limiting.

You're going to be using this for the next 4-5 years...trips, vacations, and every day use. You do not want to skimp on storage at all.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I'd do a 9.7 but I'd want a few things -

Touch ID 2
3D Touch
Regular Headphone Jack
4GB of RAM

And any other goodies...

WolfeRayet

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Well, next year promises little for the Pro 9.7". we may be a minor refresh of the 12.9" to TT display and the introduction of a Pro 10.5" possibly.

It's your call whether to keep it. If you do keep it, I'd return it and get much more storage...32gb is much too limiting.

You're going to be using this for the next 4-5 years...trips, vacations, and every day use. You do not want to skimp on storage at all.

Thanks, I will definitely upgrade to at least 128 gig next week. I've already used half the storage up.
Do you think the Pro 10.5" would offer anything significantly more than the 9.7"

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Thanks, I will definitely upgrade to at least 128 gig next week. I've already used half the storage up.
Do you think the Pro 10.5" would offer anything significantly more than the 9.7"

It's anybody's guess. A touch bit more in screen size for sure.

If I were you, I'd ask if there are any open-box Pros to stretch your dollar.

If you want 3D touch, then wait. Amoled...probably 2018 at the earliest.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.