Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
LOL are you serious? I do care about wether the display I spend all day looking at is symmetrical. I couldn't care less about the butt of the phone.
Have you ever used one for a week? You don't even notice it anymore. I'd rather have no notch and have the whole top space be usable, but right now it's still better than having bezels because otherwise you have less usable screen space.

The only time it's ever noticeable is when you put video into zoomed mode—and given that most videos online don't support that aspect ratio, it's not really a big deal and looks like a regular iPhone when watching video.

I'd rather use the phone with the best security, privacy, display, and design in the entire industry. Siri sucks but hey, perfection is often elusive. They also need to work on making Face ID faster and better at unlocking in varying conditions. But you can't say that Samsung's design team has always sucked. It's like for crying out loud, do they even care? Just look at the damn thing.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Sure, would you mind explaining what parts of the iPhone X's are "designed" by Apple, and not based on Samsung?'s

based is not the same as identical.
It's fairly widely known that Apple's displays are slightly different in only a few aspects, such calibration, brightness, pixel arrangement (also based on Samsung's diamond pentile),

so its different in almost every aspect that counts? agreed.

or otherwise, it's more or less identical Samsung displays.

which is it.. more or less? Your previous comments seem to make me think you agree, they are not identical. So its fine that Apple got the reward for something which is not identical. Not to mention what apple got the awards for were not just hardware but software improvements.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
I’d suggest visiting PatentlyApple and looking through their 5+ years of work on OLED.

Yeah a few quite old and irrelevant OLED patents that's what you can find on PatentlyApple.
The X definitely has the work Apple has put in on extending the blue pixels lifespan (a long running issue in OLED) amongst other things.
A lot of this is extremely low level (such as the display power hardware) amongst others.
LoL That sounds like Samsung's work through and through. Reviews have been mentioning this stuff about Samsung's OLED screens for years.
https://www.gottabemobile.com/pentile-amoled-display-used-on-galaxy-s-iii-to-increase-lifespan/
[doublepost=1526483013][/doublepost]
And yet, no one praised TSMC for A chips, ever, but now, when they hit Samsung fans where it hurts -

Well that's because smartphone fans are not as technical or concerned with technical details as much as PC enthusiasts for example.
AMD, Intel and Nvidia fans talk quite a lot about the manufacturing process which is used to make their silicon based chips(which is crucial for performance and efficiency of their products).
https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11449/nvidia-geforce-mx150-built-from-pascal.png
suddenly - it's the factories that matter.
Suddenly? no not suddenly they were always crucial and today they are more crucial than ever.
For example Apple's next A series chips will take quite a performance bump from using TSMC's new 7nm process. If they would use the same 10nm process their lead would start evaporate.

Of course Samsung should be praised for investing into their manufacturing capabilities and for making the best OLED production plants, and of course TSMC should be applauded for their capabilities. But so should the mines that mine metals for these devices, people on the assembly lines that put them together, etc. However, especially in the western world, it's the ideas and the designs that get the most attention, it's the only thing we refer to as "creativity".

Samsung is not a simple smarphone OLED manufacturing company and nothing else. They are the company with the best small screens OLED tech which veterans like LG struggle to match.

Last edited:

jamface

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
Display of the Year?! Wish i got to be at this awards luncheon. I can only dream of what a boozy and star-studded extravaganza it surely was...

Macs4u

Suspended
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Yeah right. On my business account I have had 5 iPhone X’s and 2 iPad Pro 10.5” tablets. 4x ipx have colour tints (red and yellow) and on the iPad pros I can sit them side by side and one screen is literally red. Crap quality and crap mass produced rubbish. Yet a business at the side of me has just had 12x galaxy s9s and they are all perfect.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I'm somewhat surprised - I have an iPhone 4 and put my phone next to an iPhone X on display in a phone store, put both displays on the maximum brightness and there wasn't as huge of a difference that I expected.
[I'm very much a non-technical person btw]
People typically notice a difference after spending $1000+
(and then even start praising the notch...)
[doublepost=1526485702][/doublepost]
LOL. This is hilarious!! You folks really like the word "design."

First, no, you don't "design" specifications in the same way that you design a chip. Second, you don't need nearly as many engineers, billions in R&D or hefty IP portfolio to write specs for off-the-shelf parts -- with tiny tweaks here and there. Lastly, yes, at the end of the day, the only reason that Samsung is at the top with 95+% of the market share and ranked #1 in mobile displays for several years is largely due to their superior processing/manufacturing/engineering, not Apple's wonderful "spec" writing or PO (purchase order).
The award probably is on how well Apple stocks & markets these items

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yeah a few quite old and irrelevant OLED patents that's what you can find on PatentlyApple.

LoL That sounds like Samsung's work through and through. Reviews have been mentioning this stuff about Samsung's OLED screens for years.
https://www.gottabemobile.com/pentile-amoled-display-used-on-galaxy-s-iii-to-increase-lifespan/
Why dismiss my post only to post something completely different? Samsung supplemented the blue pixel with other pixels, Apple *improved* the lifespan of the actual blue pixel itself. You understand these are two entirely different things right?

As for “old” patents, you understand the pipeline from R&D to actual implementation right?

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Fairly typical how Samsung screens and design elements are only praised since they appear on the iPhone X...

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Why dismiss my post only to post something completely different? Samsung supplemented the blue pixel with other pixels, Apple *improved* the lifespan of the actual blue pixel itself. You understand these are two entirely different things right?
LoL so Apple improves the lifespan of blue pixels while Samsung didn't. We consumers are so lucky Apple came to the rescue and "improve" blue pixels life spam out of nowhere while Samsung was just sitting around for years doing nothing.

As for “old” patents, you understand the pipeline from R&D to actual implementation right?

Old and irrelevant. You understand something this simple?
Samsung owns most of the relevant smartphone OLED screen patents. That's why it's so hard for LG to make a comparable smartphone OLED screen.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
LoL so Apple improves the lifespan of blue pixels while Samsung didn't. We consumers are so lucky Apple came to the rescue and "improve" blue pixels life spam out of nowhere while Samsung was just sitting around for years doing nothing.

Old and irrelevant. You understand something this simple?
Samsung owns most of the relevant smartphone OLED screen patents. That's why it's so hard for LG to make a comparable smartphone OLED screen.
I'm not sure what you're deal is here. No one stated the underlined. There is more than one way to skin a cat and Apple's OLED panels use their method to do so, manufactured by Samsung.

LG's manufacturing process is not nearly refined as Samsung's, that's why they have such trouble.

Please go ahead and provide an example as to an old and irrelevant Apple OLED patent. I'll wait.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
120hz and oled this year...nope we have to wait for microled
oled it was and still is a bridge between 2 big technologies lcd and the future microled

What's wrong with OLED? It has the potential to be one of the cheapest and thinnest display technologies. It also has no problem running at extremely high refresh rates - far beyond 120Hz. Current LG OLED TV's run natively at 120Hz for example.

Your stating something like it's fact, I think it's pretty wrong.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Have you ever used one for a week? You don't even notice it anymore. I'd rather have no notch and have the whole top space be usable, but right now it's still better than having bezels because otherwise you have less usable screen space.

The only time it's ever noticeable is when you put video into zoomed mode—and given that most videos online don't support that aspect ratio, it's not really a big deal and looks like a regular iPhone when watching video.

I'd rather use the phone with the best security, privacy, display, and design in the entire industry. Siri sucks but hey, perfection is often elusive. They also need to work on making Face ID faster and better at unlocking in varying conditions. But you can't say that Samsung's design team has always sucked. It's like for crying out loud, do they even care? Just look at the damn thing.

Someone has partaken of the kool-aid.

You want an unbiased personal opinion comparing the Razer 120hz LCD screen, the 8+, and X? LINK
I spent a month with all 3 side by side plus my roomie has a Galaxy 8.
This is personal opinion, not a scientific digital analysis.

The screen on the iPhone X is good. Not best. Not great. The notch and rounded corners hurt the viewing area.
If you like the X and it is your only device, you will likely be more than happy with it.

Do I think the X deserved this award? Personally no. However I am not the one handing the award out.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Manufacturing capacity, price, yield, backlog, terms, etc. Does LG even provide contract manufacturing for displays like Samsung?

Should kudos go to TSMC for manufacturing Apple's Ax processors used in iPhones and iPads, in TSMC's foundry?
Yes. LG does it for Pixel phones. Isn't apple heavily invested in LG for display panel?
Yes, kudos will definitely go to TSMC for manufacturing those CPUs. Again I will say, designing does not get you anything. It's the beginning of the process. Manufacturing is what matters!

tooltalk

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2015
NY, NY
Not my intent. TSMC had the better roadmap and process they could deliver on. Samsung had the process ready, but was not willing to make the capital expenditure in Apple's timeframe.

The points I was making in post#73 were in reference to to potential reasons Apple picking Samsung (over LG) for displays.

I guess I wasn't very clear in my earlier response.

We don't care about TSMC because this particular SID award is given to best mobile display, not best smartphone or fab, of 2017. I'm pretty sure TSMC gets plenty awards for their pure foundry innovations and Apple gets for their smartphones as well. This SID award is however all about the mobile display, nothing else. Period. If you are just a layman who can't tell Samsung from LG, much less TSMC from Apple, it's fine. Ignorance is bliss and enjoy your phone. It's time for you to move along.

But there are also those of us who appreciate subtle things like displays, AP's, GPUs', etc in mobile devices -- this is no more crazy than discerning diners insisting on organically grown produces or wines produced in certain year from certain vineyard. Now, what many of us are pointing out here is that Apple's contribution amounts to little more than rebranding and packaging Samsung's displays. Even then, this is fine, since, again, this SID award is all about the displays on "final consumer product." Apple's iPhone X release happens to be at the very end of 2017 and Apple plucked out the latest and greatest from Samsung's AMOLED offering, so this SID award is not necessarily a breakthrough or different in any way. Samsung's latest AMOLED on the S9 likewise shows improvements over the S8 or the iPhone X in all aspects, except for the default brightness out of box -- which is largely due to Samsung's focus on power efficiency and display longevity on mobiles device vs. Apple's focus on user experience.

To sum it up, your comparison is flawed in that TSMC's foundry tech is entirely different than that of Apple's IC designs, whereas in Apple iPhone X display, it's pretty much identical (or built upon) to that of Samsung.

Last edited:

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Admittedly, my reply was intended to be snarky. Now I'm curious why you'd go that route just to get a widescreen aspect ratio. All I can think of off of the top of my head is that it allows you to still see more of the screen (centered) by pushing the on screen controls further to the left and right.

Yep, apparently for the same games on both platforms, they shows more (without needing to push any screen controls etc) when their widescreen modes are activated on eligible widescreen devices, regardless of their OSes.

Thing is, while this is possible for all 16:9 handphones (iPhones, Android phones), for tablets, only those 16:9 Androids will have this functionality as the iOS iPads are seen by the games (and Apple TV) as 4:3 devices and thus do not have the functionality, while the 16:9 Android tablets will continue to be seen as 16:9 devices

This means when I am recording gameplay from the iPad, I will always have black bars at the sides (i.e. 4:3 display). And I strongly prefer the gameplay experience of the tablet over the handphone, thus my looking for an Android tablet with such specs.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Yep, apparently for the same games on both platforms, they shows more (without needing to push any screen controls etc) when their widescreen modes are activated on eligible widescreen devices, regardless of their OSes.

Thing is, while this is possible for all 16:9 handphones (iPhones, Android phones), for tablets, only those 16:9 Androids will have this functionality as the iOS iPads are seen by the games (and Apple TV) as 4:3 devices and thus do not have the functionality, while the 16:9 Android tablets will continue to be seen as 16:9 devices

This means when I am recording gameplay from the iPad, I will always have black bars at the sides (i.e. 4:3 display). And I strongly prefer the gameplay experience of the tablet over the handphone, thus my looking for an Android tablet with such specs.

That actually makes a lot of sense. :)

Reactions: darkarn

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Yes. LG does it for Pixel phones. Isn't apple heavily invested in LG for display panel?
Yes, kudos will definitely go to TSMC for manufacturing those CPUs. Again I will say, designing does not get you anything. It's the beginning of the process. Manufacturing is what matters!

Disagree. It's Apple's design team lead by Johny Srouji that differentiates Apple's processors with respect to other phone manufacturers. TSMC is another contract manufacturer for Apple, as is Samsung, TI, Cirrus, Broadcom, and many dozen others. That's not a dig on TSMC, I like them a lot, with my company using them (and TI, Samsung, Atmel, and ES2) in the past for custom processors.
[doublepost=1526500373][/doublepost]
I guess I wasn't very clear in my earlier response.

We don't care about TSMC because this particular SID award is given to best mobile display, not best smartphone or fab, of 2017. I'm pretty sure TSMC gets plenty awards for their pure foundry innovations and Apple gets for their smartphones as well. This SID award is however all about the mobile display, nothing else. Period. If you are just a layman who can't tell Samsung from LG, much less TSMC from Apple, it's fine. Ignorance is bliss and enjoy your phone. It's time for you to move along.

But there are also those of us who appreciate subtle things like displays, AP's, GPUs', etc in mobile devices -- this is no more crazy than discerning diners insisting on organically grown produces or wines produced in certain year from certain vineyard. Now, what many of us are pointing out here is that Apple's contribution amounts to little more than rebranding and packaging Samsung's displays. Even then, this is fine, since, again, this SID award is all about the displays on "final consumer product." Apple's iPhone X release happens to be at the very end of 2017 and Apple plucked out the latest and greatest from Samsung's AMOLED offering, so this SID award is not necessarily a breakthrough or different in any way. Samsung's latest AMOLED on the S9 likewise shows improvements over the S8 or the iPhone X in all aspects, except for the default brightness out of box -- which is largely due to Samsung's focus on power efficiency and display longevity on mobiles device vs. Apple's focus on user experience.

To sum it up, your comparison is flawed in that TSMC's foundry tech is entirely different than that of Apple's IC designs, whereas in Apple iPhone X display, it's pretty much identical (or built upon) to that of Samsung.

"If you are just a layman who can't tell Samsung from LG, much less TSMC from Apple, it's fine. Ignorance is bliss and enjoy your phone. It's time for you to move along."

Thanks for the insult. Needing to resort to that greatly undermines your credibility and knowledge.

"Now, what many of us are pointing out here is that Apple's contribution amounts to little more than rebranding and packaging Samsung's displays."

Rebranding and packaging. Astonishing. As has been pointed out earlier, since 2014 (and I suspect earlier) Apple has had it's own internal display engineering group. To say the above demonstrates your ignorance as to what the group does and how they work with Samsung on their displays.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
I'm not sure what you're deal is here. No one stated the underlined.

LG's manufacturing process is not nearly refined as Samsung's, that's why they have such trouble.

The deal is you make claims based on assumptions. It's that simple.
The possibility of Apple knowing/having methods of improving OLED screens that haven't been tried by Samsung is very very small.
You can act like Samsung is a simple manufactures all you want but the reality is Samsung is the company that truly brought the mobile OLED screen at the quality level it is today.
There is more than one way to skin a cat and Apple's OLED panels use their method to do so, manufactured by Samsung.
Yeah only there is no proof of that. No proof Apple even has an applicable method to achieve such a thing.

There is o proof of that either. LG is a veteran in the screen industry and manufacturing refinement is most likely their smallest problem. Their screens are not as good simply because the tech behind them is not as good as Samsung's. If making mobile OLED screen would be a matter of manufacturing refinement we would have way more competition and Samsung not owning most of the market.

Please go ahead and provide an example as to an old and irrelevant Apple OLED patent. I'll wait.

That's easy

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...icient-oled-hybrid-display-to-save-power.html

Quite irrelevant taking in consideration that Samsung's displays are more efficient than iphone x's.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ew-methods-for-improving-amoled-displays.html
A patent submitted at a time Apple was mocking OLEDS screens.

And another one.
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ay-for-possible-use-on-a-future-iphone-1.html

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Someone has partaken of the kool-aid.

You want an unbiased personal opinion comparing the Razer 120hz LCD screen, the 8+, and X? LINK
I spent a month with all 3 side by side plus my roomie has a Galaxy 8.
This is personal opinion, not a scientific digital analysis.

The screen on the iPhone X is good. Not best. Not great. The notch and rounded corners hurt the viewing area.
If you like the X and it is your only device, you will likely be more than happy with it.

Do I think the X deserved this award? Personally no. However I am not the one handing the award out.
The rounded corners are glass but not the screen lik the GS8/9. So viewing is not hurt in that way.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Poo-poo? You don't care or are fussy about color. Some people are.

I like everything about my X. Except that. Speaking as a photographer who cares about color who was extremely satisfied with my 6+ LCD display.
[doublepost=1526426615][/doublepost]

Unless you're a photographer who really cares about color.

? OLED are no worse than LCD for color reproduction...and better if you consider black level/contrast to be part of the overall picture.

Reactions: dk001

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
? OLED are no worse than LCD for color reproduction...and better if you consider black level/contrast to be part of the overall picture.

I guess it depends on how fussy you are about color.

If you're OK with a very noticeable color shift towards cyan/blue when looking at the screen off-axis, or from a slight hand rotation when holding the phone, I suppose OLED is fine.

For me, as a photographer, it's not. And much prefer the LCD display used in my iPhone 6+.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I guess it depends on how fussy you are about color.

If you're OK with a very noticeable color shift towards cyan/blue when looking at the screen off-axis, or from a slight hand rotation when holding the phone, I suppose OLED is fine.

For me, as a photographer, it's not. And much prefer the LCD display used in my iPhone 6+.
I noticed the color shift right away but I don’t really notice it anymore. IMO it’s a good trade of for what OLED offers.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Yes the display panels on Apple devices are manufactured by Samsung, LG etc. But people forget/don't know that manufacturing the panel is only half the job. Display controller, color calibration etc. are done by Apple. Until Samsung comes up with a display as good as Apple's, "But they're manufactured by Samsung" argument is moot.

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
I love the 120Hz display of my iPad Pro but it's a fingerprint magnet! Seems like I have to clean it everytime I use it. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.