Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeepCalm76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
Hi all—

Just bought an Anker USB-C hub with 4K HDMI output. I have an old Asus 1080p 27” monitor, and figured if I paired the two up with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard I could have a pretty nice big-screen iPad hookup. It works! Except, the output is smaller than it should be. I know the iPad aspect ratio is fixed, so I was expecting black bars to the left and right. I was not expecting 3/4” bars above and below, too. The image is inset within the display, rather than stretching to the top and bottom as it should.

The iPad can push 4K, I’ve seenYouTube vids of people with similar setups without this problem, and when I play a movie in the TV app it switches to a true full-screen experience. So I’m not sure what is going on. Any thoughts? Is there a setting I’m not aware of? Ordinarily I’d just adjust the screen resolution, but I’m pretty sure iPadOS still doesn’t give you that option, and there doesn’t seem to be an option on the monitor itself to enlarge the image.

Thanks!

Smici

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2019
I have the same problem with my benq monitor and also with my old Philips tv. I have the baseus invisible corner hub thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.