iPad Pro iPad Pro will be a failure...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by d4rkc4sm, Nov 2, 2015.

1. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

Long time Apple user here...

The iPad Pro will be a big failure for Tim Cook. Really, he just doesn't have a long term vision for the tablet line. Bigger iPad with stylus, but same OS is honestly the dumbest thing Apple has come up with since the Apple Watch.

The iPad Pro needs to be able to run OSX or have some sort of file system as a lite replacement for a MacBook, otherwise it's just a glorified and expensive version of an iPad Air (which I sold to get a MBP)

Now I read Apple is investing resources to building a car. (Slaps forehead) Laughable Tim.

2. iPadFan2010 macrumors newbie

iPadFan2010

People said that about the original iPad as well. Funny, history shows differently, No one knows really, perhaps let time tell.

3. ksb315 macrumors newbie

There's one thing that will make the ipad pro a success and that is the pencil. I know many, many, many people have been waiting for a proper stylus, and this is it. Time will tell for sure, but if I were a betting man i'd put money on the ipad pro.

4. Jethrox macrumors member

Jethrox

I agree in part. For me, the iPP needs some enhanced iOS capabilities to make it suitable for replacing a laptop..otherwise it's just to big to carry around.

I only want to carry two devices around: phone, + another. Since I mostly just surf the web, process emails and use Facebook iOS would work with a decent file management system. The rest I can do on my desktop at home (need to access files on it from my iOS).

Does Apple just want to sell me more hardware??? I might just have to wait them out.

5. Dave245 macrumors 601

Not this the "iPad Pro needs OSX" again, it's a seperate device from the Mac, putting a desktop OS on the iPad would be terrible, Tim Cook knows this and is probably part of the reason why Apple haven't done it. As Tim said a while ago "you can murge a toaster and refrigerator but it doesn't mean you should" just because MS have done the Surface doesn't mean Apple should follow suit. I think the iPad Pro could be a game changer, the Apple Pencil will help with this and early reviews from people who have tested the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil (Pixar and Disney) have all said how good the iPad Pro with Apple Pencil is. Once it's released and people have had hands on with it I think a lot more people will be buying one.

6. iPadFan2010 macrumors newbie

iPadFan2010

Agreed completely, couldn't have said it better.

7. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

And the original iPhone

8. AustinTejas macrumors newbie

AustinTejas

I am just curious how up to speed you are with macro trends in the pc/laptop industry? You do realize that for most (and the readers of MacRumors are not representative of the sample), the iPad format is all that is needed? No more PC, no more laptop. Many never had a PC or Laptop, phones and tablets are bringing them. Not too mention special purpose uses in the arts, education, transportation, restaurants and governments (I can go on).

Apple is creating a whole new wave of technology customers and the iPad Pro fills a hole in their product line. Clearly they learned from the iPhone it is best to have multiple alternatives to satisfy all types. In addition the more alternatives they have on offer, the less likely a competitor can be heard or seen.

The benchmark will be total Apple tablet sales. I think you will find the iPad Pro will be a major contributor to the overall tablet revenue growth.

9. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

It all depends on the apps. If the apps can make use of the hardware (processor, ram and screen).

10. d4rkc4sm thread starter macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

I dunno. I really wanted an iPad when it came out because it was a natural evolution after the iPod touch.

iPads get upgraded every 3 - 4 years but I just don't see the iPad Pro being a success for Apple. This is Tim Cook's failure to anticipate bringing the iOS interface to the next level. Bad vision and overall management of the software team.

Just look at them bungling the ATV rollout with nonexistent deals with media companies.

11. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

You sound delusional. You're pushing for the IPP to be a failure. It won't be. It will be awesome for a lot of reasons. #1 for me is the large screen for remote access to work computers and Citrix. Changing iOS for every device is the last thing Apple should do. They are doing the right thing letting the experience stay the same and making things rely on the apps.

12. engineerben macrumors regular

engineerben

13. JimDut macrumors member

As of today I have been weighing up whether to move from a MBP to an iPadPro.

So far the programs/functions I can see being an issue are:

1. Handling of certain file formats - There will no doubt be some types of files that there isn't an app for. That will probably result in someone creating an App to handle them. So I guess there could be some annoyance in the initial stages.

2. Photoshop - I'm aware there will be an iOS app coming out, question is will it offer all of the core functions... on the plus side the ability to use the pencil should be amazing. I'm happy enough that in time the program will offer everything.

3. FTP - I can see there at least one app out there already. No idea how effective.

For everything else I have Dropbox and iCloud Drive, which is essentially my filing system. Accessible offline, integrated with more and more apps as standard. I honestly can't see what I would be missing over using a MPB and I can definitely see what I would be gaining with a iPadPro!

I don't think the price, Approx £1000 with accessories, is that unreasonable either. Comparing it to a MPB, better screen just as portable, same/better performance.

14. TheRealCBONE macrumors regular

iOS is poorly suited to larger devices. Wasted screen space, wasted processing and graphical power. Apple is screwing up the Pro name and being lazy with tablet software optimization. The Pro will make money because it's Apple and a new Apple thing and if you need/want a larger than 9.7 inch iPad, it's the only game in town. I don't see it changing the game until Apple steals a few more things from other OSs and does something to stop free to play LCD garbage and nerfed versions of windows or Mac software from clogging up the app store.

15. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Im trading my 12 inch macbook for a base model ipad pro. Several reasons. No.1 is simplicity. If I could make do with the Air2 I would be good but as a student I need to things open and the larger screen really helps there. Also I am a pianists and using this thing for sight reading will be amazing.

On another note I will keep a little $99 kangaroo PC around just for managing my files and as a small htpc with kodi. I want simplicity in my life and not having to deal with customization options for me is a relief. Gladly I got a buyer for my Space grey base model already.

16. Jethrox macrumors member

Jethrox

I'm going to give the iPP a try...nope it doesn't need to do everything a laptop does (I don't need all those features anyway ), but it does need to do more than my existing iPad for me to upgrade and I'm not sure the pencil is enough given the price.

Given it's fairly limited memory I'd like to be able to save large files easily to a remote drive. I think iOS should be evolutionary and iPP is an excellent place to start.

Now if I could just find some information on some type of preorder...or its back to camping out at the Applestore.

17. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Asides from more icons on the desktop per screen, iOS needs a windowing system, especially if iPads are going to get bigger. I used to use something like that on a jailbroken iPad. It's less limiting than that Slide-Over stuff, and running apps in the iPhone UI on an iPad screen felt better for some apps. It's 100% possible and it's really disappointing Apple still doesn't allow anything like that.

Apart from that, just the Pencil will make it a worthwhile investment to me.

18. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

So, a couple things to point out:
    1) Much like the higher end Macs, I don't see this as being their "primary revenue" source from the iPad line, and I doubt Apple does either. But how you are defining success is something different. I suspect the goals for this product are conservative at the moment. And so long as that is true, it will be hard for this device to fail. You have to define what success is a bit better here.
    2) iOS has made some changes that feel like they are in anticipation of moves like this one. Document Storage Providers (iOS8), more Keyboard support (iOS9), and Split Screen (iOS9) all favor this sort of setup more. Now, those features aren't all hits, but at the same time, I suspect that Apple is moving as quickly as they are comfortable with at the moment. And not all the pieces must be in place at the time of hardware launch, so long as you are aware of how the missing features will affect sales and plan accordingly.

19. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

The product alone doesn't necessarily guarantee failure. As a matter of fact, it's actually the only worthwhile iPad. What can cause failure though are other factors like the ridiculous pricing that's more than the versatile Surface Pro 3 and 4 that can multiboot Windows/Linux/BSD/OS X and if sufficient apps are released to utilize the pencil and extra screen real estate. If priced to replace the iPad Air 2 it might actually do well.

20. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I thought the same thing, but apparently there are a lot of people who are graphic designers who use a stylus. This market, along with those just looking to try it out a larger screen iPad, there will definitely be buyers. I don't think it will be a failure because of the high price tag (and probably relatively low production cost). I think they will definitely have a harder time with the second generation one, unless they do something with the software. The hardware seems to be there, but iOS is really whats holding it back.

I personally would rather buy the retina macbook over the pro solely because of the software.

21. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    You are sooooo wrong, this will do as well as the first iPad, there are so many photographers,Doctors,professional people, chomping at the bit for this baby. Why do all you naysayers crawl out of the woodwork at every new release, only to eat crow, 6 months later. Just cus it isn't for you, doesn't mean it will be a bust,

22. Macalway macrumors 68020

It is a niche item. Very pricey, niche item. For some people it's just right. What remains to be seen is whether there's enough of those to support this model.

It's not anything like the Watch. The watch was a new idea, that has issues (major, as far as I can see). This iPad is nothing new, just an expansion of the line.

23. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

You are correct about putting OS X in the iPad pro... but why??? iOS is doing so well (believe it or not, numbers don't lie). There are more app for iOS too compared to OS X. Tim will have the last laugh.

24. TechGod, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Why the hell do people blame everything on Tim Cook? Is he the one that designs everything with his hands?

25. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624