Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCloud2017

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2017
The cynic in me says Apple figured out this will cost them an extra $20, but they can stick us with an extra $100 price increase for the privilege. I can see it being appealing to small percentage of users, I just hope we aren't all expected to supplement the cost.

"The price of these things is getting ridiculous"
"But it's packed with features... I mean, even a triple camera on the back!"

I think you couldn't be more correct.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I hope they fix bend gate because I’m getting one this Fall.
Bendgate hardly qualifies as a “gate.” There’s no there there.

I can’t recall ever having used my iPad’s camera. I assume they’ll put in an a13x, wifi 6, some other incremental improvements. Won’t be enough for me to replace this year’s 12” pro.

Reactions: Mabus51

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I hope they fix bend gate because I’m getting one this Fall.

Keep an eye out for "stereo microphones" or something like that, meaning they moved the central mic hole that ruined the structural integrity of the 2018 Pro.

whatta

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
Personally, from what I’ve seen of kids using their iPads for FaceTime, it’s the front camera that needs to be really good.
I agree, front camera is good to get to latest gen.. Actually I bought a basic 2018 iPad for my parents only for FaceTime, so we can keep in touch smoothly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
B884D602-27A7-4080-988B-603D54DE27A2.jpeg Well the 11” iPad Pro camera is very good, surprisingly good. I've used it on trips to Alaska and Iceland (see photo) but, yes, I truly felt like a geek holding it and no way I'll be buying this horribly looking upgrade.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
So...that very UGLY thing is coming to iPads too...God I miss Steve :-(

What, will people make fun of you or something because your phone has an "ugly" camera lens?
I miss people interested more in technology than whining about how something looks.

Reactions: hagjohn

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
What, will people make fun of you or something because your phone has an "ugly" camera lens?
I miss people interested more in technology than whining about how something looks.
Back when people where excited in technology over the "supposed" status the device gives them.

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Are that many "pros" actually using these cameras? I get why Apple wants one to be able to shoot/edit/etc video on these things but I'd rather just have no camera at all if they can't manage to put them on there without a bump. I don't mind the bump on an iPhone because I always use a case but it's kind of annoying on an iPad as I always go naked with them.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Are that many "pros" actually using these cameras? I get why Apple wants one to be able to shoot/edit/etc video on these things but I'd rather just have no camera at all if they can't manage to put them on there without a bump. I don't mind the bump on an iPhone because I always use a case but it's kind of annoying on an iPad as I always go naked with them.

That's why IMO the mini 5 is the best iPad. Camera (for document scanning) is flush, no case needed, smart cover protects screen and doubles as stand. Perfect mixture of functionality and portability. Doesn't bend.

VesApple

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2019

yes - For $700 - $1000 ( for basic configuration ) I expect a great combination from iOS, design and hardware.
Also for me the improvement in technology is NOT camera improvement, but battery life, faster charging, bether water resistant , not removing things like audio jack ( belive or not a lot of people still use it ) ..and at least STEREO recording ( yes, it is still MONO ).....i can continue, but hopefully you got my point...
God I miss Steve....

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
It just doesn't make sense. Even the most current iPad Pro has one camera. Why would it go from one to three, considering two cameras have been around since 2016 with the iPhone 7 plus?

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
It just doesn't make sense. Even the most current iPad Pro has one camera. Why would it go from one to three, considering two cameras have been around since 2016 with the iPhone 7 plus?
Pro's will probably have 3 while the non-pro iPads will have 2, I bet. I'm betting the camera background will be the color of the device, like the phones.

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Over the course of life with my 12.9” Ipad Pro Gen 2, I’ve taken between 2-4 pictures...including one of our cat. With the Apple keyboard case, it’s just too cumbersome and large for me. I’d much rather pay for a better camera on my phone, where it’ll get a lot more use. I’d be interested in hearing how many of you really use your iPad’s cameras - maybe I’m missing something?

matthew23

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
This will be awesome for when I take my iPad Pro to a baseball game or Disneyland and take some sweet ass pictures.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I use the front camera on my IPP every day but have used the rear camera maybe twice. Definitely won't be a reason for me to upgrade.

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
Don’t think I’ve ever used my iPad Pro to take rear photos.

Waiting for 2020 for redesign and 5G instead.
You people seem to always want something else. Bigger screen. 16.9 screen (and still shoot vertical), bezelless screen. The list goes on and on. And now it’s 5G.

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
But... why would you want to have a triple-camera setup on your iPad? On the iPhone, I understand. And a camera in general on an iPad I can understand (can't think of as many use cases but alright). But a triple-camera setup on an iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.