Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2018
I would not accept a bent IPad, I have the wi-fi model, not only because it is cheaper, but because the chance is higher that it does not come already bent. If I had to rely on the LTE model for some reason, I probably would not buy an iPad this year.
I am not satisfied with the quality of the iPad Pros this year, but will give the 12.9 inch wi-fi model what I am currently using a chance.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Why do people feel entitled to the point that they won’t accept a small bend on their ipad? There’s nothing wrong with that and in my opinion it is not apples fault, but the users fault for caring about something so stupid.

People feel entitled to comment on product quality for things they appreciate and / or buy.

If the customer isn’t happy with your product, that better be addressed. We have seen multiple devices showed here clearly bent out of the box and that clearly is a reason for many to return them.

I feel this has been discussed over and over again. Where is the sticky thread to collect all the bending discussions?

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Are people’s standard too high?

No people today just like to complain about things that are socially acceptable to complain about. If their standards where too high they would be complaining about much more important things.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Yes! Peoples expectations are too high quite often. People love to say, “it should be this way (perfect) in 2019”. As if everything should be perfect because we’ve been living with smart devices for multiple years. However companies still try and make profits with keeping costs down, physics still apply, we are using the same materials, with similar processes as we always have. The difference is we are trying to make tighter tolerances to manufacturing a cooler/more futuristic design. My statement isn’t just about bent iPads but everything. Screens aren’t perfect, they have imperfections yet people love to complain they aren’t perfect.

I think the problem are people’s expectations due to marketing. If you didn’t know, marketing runs this world. I love to see the word nano plastered on everything. News flash, the shampoo you’re using doesn’t transform your hair and works the same as it did 10-20 years ago. The ‘breakthroughs’ these companies claim ruin people’s realistic view of what should be and what really is.
[doublepost=1546794996][/doublepost]If you don’t think Apples products are premium or worth the cost then don’t buy it. Go find something else to replace it. Good luck.

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
Yes! Peoples expectations are too high quite often. People love to say, “it should be this way (perfect) in 2019”. As if everything should be perfect because we’ve been living with smart devices for multiple years. However companies still try and make profits with keeping costs down, physics still apply, we are using the same materials, with similar processes as we always have. The difference is we are trying to make tighter tolerances to manufacturing a cooler/more futuristic design. My statement isn’t just about bent iPads but everything. Screens aren’t perfect, they have imperfections yet people love to complain they aren’t perfect.

I think the problem are people’s expectations due to marketing. If you didn’t know, marketing runs this world. I love to see the word nano plastered on everything. News flash, the shampoo you’re using doesn’t transform your hair and works the same as it did 10-20 years ago. The ‘breakthroughs’ these companies claim ruin people’s realistic view of what should be and what really is.
[doublepost=1546794996][/doublepost]If you don’t think Apples products are premium or worth the cost then don’t buy it. Go find something else to replace it. Good luck.
Or people don’t want something that costs over a grand to be bent. There isn’t some deep underlying subconscious complexity that’s bothering people. It’s pretty straightforward common sense.

Last edited:

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Why do people feel entitled to the point that they won’t accept a small bend on their ipad? There’s nothing wrong with that and in my opinion it is not apples fault, but the users fault for caring about something so stupid.

Same reason why people lurk and post on forums using language with the intention to provoke response - because they can.

BTW the manufacturing process results in possible bending, that is entirely within Apple’s control and they set their tolerances on what they accept so no it IS their fault.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I take it you have not watched a single Apple event, interminable Ive voice over or advertisement?

Apple pride themselves on the excellence of their design and manufacture.
It is the justification for the premium price.

Why are you surprised that people take that to heart and hold Apple to high standards?

So, no. The problem does not lie with the consumer, but with Apple's PR / Marketing machine creating unrealistically high expectations.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think anyone should accept a bend in their iPad. They are expensive and they should be issue free. At the same time, I don’t expect Apple to be perfect. That’s where I feel some peoples standards may be too high. Apple is making millions of devices across a wide range of suppliers. Issues will happen. I definitely don’t expect perfection in every device, although I have never had a manufacturing defect from them over the years. This is where their service becomes hugely important, as they generally give good service, handle returns appropriately, and have been fairly lenient to the customer when it comes to such issues. To expect anything more from a company who’s sole purpose is to make money is a little naive. People on this site seem to think Apple is this perfect company that should never have a problem and somehow owes them something. The sooner they accept that Apple doesn’t care about you and focus on buying products based on your own personal value (or not buying), the better off they will be. It’s not that critical.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
This is to OP and essentially everyone.

Having default high expectations WILL lead to being let down, this carries across EVERYTHING from another person to a restaurant to an iPad, everything.
If you except things/people/etc for what it is, the way it is, the expectations go down and you don't have so much negative emotion on something. If you make a purchase and it isn't right, return, get your money back and don't be so re-active and be more pro-active and understanding. Find something else that doesn't cause so much negativity to you personally.

High expectations can 'ruin' anything. Be grateful to be fortunate enough to even be able to make those purchases rather than because I can buy this and because I buy this I expect it to be at a level that isn't going to happen. Yes you can have a level of standards, but high (or low) expectations will cause you to be emotionally re-active to those standards. If it doesn't meet your standard (whatever that may be), find something else and move on, without being so emotionally unstable on it.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I agree nothing is perfect, I’ll often say to myself that one or two flaws are acceptable as long as they aren’t major issues... dead pixel, light-bleed, cracked or easily seen bent iPad that eventually will get worse due to physics. In an age where top notch almost perfection is promised by many companies... it is hard to keep the original attitude you had before these incredible electronics came out.
I’m an 80’s kid who grew up with nothing electronic except a VHS rewinding machine (which was like a magic tool to my siblings and I.)
I think I’ve been so spoiled and gotten used to Apple’s great products (occasionally a minor issue here or there) has made it harder for me to accept imperfection is going to happen.

I have a question for those who think we are too entitled... if you spent $1200 on this device, would you keep it or return it? picture below by melancholy...
*just curious if this falls under “acceptable condition” or not?

Attachments

• 3B4D9F5F-326D-4A8D-9651-6D453C7F3B14.jpeg
    3B4D9F5F-326D-4A8D-9651-6D453C7F3B14.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 477

thedemoncowboy

Suspended
Jan 2, 2019
I agree nothing is perfect, I’ll often say to myself that one or two flaws are acceptable as long as they aren’t major issues... dead pixel, light-bleed, cracked or easily seen bent iPad that eventually will get worse due to physics. In an age where top notch almost perfection is promised by many companies... it is hard to keep the original attitude you had before these incredible electronics came out.
I’m an 80’s kid who grew up with nothing electronic except a VHS rewinding machine (which was like a magic tool to my siblings and I.)
I think I’ve been so spoiled and gotten used to Apple’s great products (occasionally a minor issue here or there) has made it harder for me to accept imperfection is going to happen.

I have a question for those who think we are too entitled... if you spent $1200 on this device, would you keep it or return it? picture below by melancholy...
That’s how mine was

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I can't really tell - sighting along the short edge of the 11" that I returned there was something close to .6-.7mm deflection. I returned it because of uncertainty about how it would age and how Apple will handle it outside the return period.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I've to a launch day unit and while both of my 11 and 12.9 exhibit a slight bend on the LTE part, it's barely discernible. I'm not sure if the initial batch had more scrutiny that later ones, or I just got lucky? But either way, certain areas like the charging port are definitely weakness. The 6s received reinforcement on the subsequent model and I'll just be fine with mine till after the warranty expires and use my Visa warranty to get me 2 new models as it will require a new device assuming it does bend more and proves to be a major issue. That's what those are for anyways!

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
Or people don’t want something that costs over a grand to be bent. There isn’t some deep underlying subconscious complexity that’s bothering people. It’s pretty straightforward common sense.

Yep. And this generation is so expensive that it adds insult to injury.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

It looks like it has a buckle or bump? Mine is slightly bent (perhaps within Apple's standards), but it definitely does not have a buckle like that.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
It looks like it has a buckle or bump? Mine is slightly bent (perhaps within Apple's standards), but it definitely does not have a buckle like that.
I blew the issue up far too much and I confused everyone (I didn’t mean to,) but those four images showing a distortion are NOT MY iPad but another MR users. I just used his photos to show mine looked a little similar, but it is not the exact same. In person it has a slight distortion while in the photos it’s not really there. Here is mine...

Attachments

• 713D5D1E-7113-4968-B712-3295A9429784.jpeg
    713D5D1E-7113-4968-B712-3295A9429784.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 860101D7-0F6C-48F7-B469-9D96DE1C9030.jpeg
    860101D7-0F6C-48F7-B469-9D96DE1C9030.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 277

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Coming from an iPad 3 first thing i noticed with my new 10.5 was they seem a bit..... well fragile. I guess if people want thin and light this is the result. You would need to take care carrying these in a backpack i would think. Opinions?

Nah, the 10.5 is much, much more sturdier than the 11.

I also prefer the design, but that's just my opinion.

I returned my 11 yesterday, and it was a relief to get rid of it. I even looked at a demo unit in store, and it had a slight bend.

I have gone back to my 4 (laggy!) but it feels rock solid.

The only reason I returned my 10.5 was because it developed the bright spot issue. The replacement unit made a clicking noise when it was picked up, so I got my money back under UK's Consomer Law.

I was just looking at the regular 9.7 iPad, but it not having speakers at both ends put me off. The 10.5 is priced too high/close to the brand new model, so I'm not considering that.

I'll just wait until the next refresh, when I guarantee either the bending issue will be fixed (stronger material, and/or a slight alteration of the design) or we will see a completely new design.
[doublepost=1547030379][/doublepost]
I blew the issue up far too much and I confused everyone (I didn’t mean to,) but those four images showing a distortion are NOT MY iPad but another MR users. I just used his photos to show mine looked a little similar, but it is not the exact same. In person it has a slight distortion while in the photos it’s not really there. Here is mine...

I can definitely see it in the first image, and I know you LOVE iPads, so for you to concur that there is an issue in my opinion speaks volumes.
[doublepost=1547030544][/doublepost]

"Mine is slightly bent (perhaps within Apple's standards)"

This is EXACTLY why Apple gets away with this kind of thing. Forget about "Apple's standards." This is a brand new, expensive, premium device. It shouldn't have this issue, end of story.

Reactions: threeonthetree

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Ahhh. :). I'm having trouble seeing much there, my friend! It think it's a keeper. :) Edit - the post just above does see something. I'm still not really seeing anything.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
... I returned it because of uncertainty about how it would age and how Apple will handle it outside the return period.

Exactly why Apple's stance on this issue will result in more returns within the 14 day period, lower sales/deferred purchases, lower brand loyalty and device satisfaction.

Surely they understand this... or are they just organised into profit centres with each seeking to optimise their own area, but no understanding of the bigger picture.

Reactions: newellj

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Exactly why Apple's stance on this issue will result in more returns within the 14 day period, lower sales/deferred purchases, lower brand loyalty and device satisfaction.

Surely they understand this... or are they just organised into profit centres with each seeking to optimise their own area, but no understanding of the bigger picture.

In theory, product returns is the clearest, most quantifiable, vote from your market on your product. Given Apple's size and some past episodes (6 Plus comes to mind immediately but there have been others), I'm not really sure the message gets heard clearly. Or perhaps it's just not terribly actionable.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
In theory, product returns is the clearest, most quantifiable, vote from your market on your product. Given Apple's size and some past episodes (6 Plus comes to mind immediately but there have been others), I'm not really sure the message gets heard clearly. Or perhaps it's just not terribly actionable.

Yeah, but they just accept a return without collecting any input (“no questions asked”). While it’s great for consumers it’s not very useful as a feedback mechanism.

Reactions: bhodinut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.