Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n2n

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
best I've come across

I bought a few different pens and none seem to be really good and sensitive. looked into making my own and here's the result. Accurate enough that I can use in in AutCAD WS to do my drawings and sensitive enough to write notes......and looks good

materials needed:
1. 25mm brass fastener, couldn't find anything smaller
2. a twist tie or any conducting wire if you have
3. a pen, metal shell best..just an FYI, sharpie makes a stainless steel Sharpie pen!

- strip twist tie to expose wire, wrap wire around fastener.
- remove insides on pen, insert wire with fastener, make sure the wire touches the metal shell of pen. you might need to make your hole bigger or crimp the fastener arms to fit the pen hole. Mine fits perfectly so no need for much. You might need a little glue if its too loose
- bend the tip of brass fastener to fit your writing angle

I love mine so hope that helps some one

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 165

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
UGGH... That would surely destroy an unprotected screen. Metal rubbing on the oleophopic coating wouldn't last very long....

n2n

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
Actually, Apple's specification for the glass on the Ipad and Iphone is quite scratch resistant, besides I also have plastic film on it as well.

Moreover, the fastener has a smooth head (this is not a screw/bolt fastener) so does not scratch, it glides across the surface nicely. Because is has better sensitivity, you don't have to press hard on the screen at all. Its very much like writing normally on paper

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Apologies if this has been pointed out. I couldn't put up with all 11 pages of this thread. Bottom line is that a "pointy" stylus won't work on the iPad screen. Period. The capacitive screen needs a distance between two points to identify a "touch."

The best you can hope for is a small dome shaped tip such as the one found on the iFaraday stylus. (http://www.iFaraday.com). And it works wonderfully. Far superior to any other stylus I've found.

The "solution" to the problem is to choose a note taking app that supports a very thin line for notes.

Cooolpenner

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
The best stylus for me is PogoSketch. I'm using it for writing and drawing on my ipad1. Works perfectly for me, don't have any problems...

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The best stylus for me is PogoSketch. I'm using it for writing and drawing on my ipad1. Works perfectly for me, don't have any problems...

I got the Pogo Sketch as my first stylus last year as there wasn't a lot of choice back then. It didn't last long and the tip started to fray and become less responsive. After a while it required way too much pressure to use and I gave up on it. Going by my experience I wouldn't reccommend it to anyone.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
That is very interesting...how did I miss that :(

I know I found out about it a day after it had been funded :(

The designer put up a video of the pre production process so hopefully they go into production soon and then once they have filled the orders from the people on Kickstarter they should go on general sale not long after.

AndyUser

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
Are you really need a stylus? Check "Smart drawings" from the app store. You will forget about stylus...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.