Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getrusty

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
It would be nice if the Dagi had round (have marble like) tip. I like the clear part that is nice. but agreed I would be a little nervous about the tip possible damaging the display surface. The ipad being glass is one thing but one a device like a HP tablet I would cringe to use that. I do like the dagi concept one down fall though is they only can be found in a 3 pack at about $30 on ebay. I am sure we could share the wealth buy and sell the other two to a buddy kinda of thing.

i like the forsmon.... the tip is rubbery though? Can you give any feedback on that guy once you get that one in your hands.

I did see a stylus with a full pen (10 mil) diameter size and the tip was pointy like a sharpie. I am trying to find that bad boy still but it looked real nice.

The one downfall is the fact that if you try inking with any of these stylus devices you can not rest you hand on the screen. I saw some girl Dani doing a really nice youtube demo of Sketch(???) App and she had to wear a glove so the screen does not take the input of the hand and mark the workspace. That needs to be tweaked with apps or somehow be addressed.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Just to let you all know, tenonedesign, the makers of the pogo, have emailed me confirming that they are working on a newly designed stylus for the iPad that should be out later this month. It will supposedly have better impute for writting, but they would not give me details on it.

getrusty

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
excellent fish.... I am interested about that...

please keep me posted on any details as you hear anythings else

zzzzzzzzz

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
I emailed DAGi and they told me that you can order a single stylus from them for $19.90 including shipping (to Canada, in USD).

I was about to pull the trigger, but then read the post about the Pogo people developing a new one especially for the IPad, and I think that's worth waiting for, considering that most of these were made with cell phones in mind (one exception may be Ozaki's iFinger)

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
I was concerned about this issue as well, but it isn't a big problem. The size of the screen is just perfect so that the side of your hand rests on the non-capacitive edge of the device. I anticipate that the app developers will figure out a hand interference fix soon, but in the mean time, it's nothing to worry about.

Just for comparison, I also own a Cintiq, and although the Cintiq is more sophisticated, I preferred working on the ipad because it felt more like a sketchbook and more natural to draw on.

Where a glove. Problem solved.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
1054866_legal_pad.jpg

I have three questions and I believe this is the right thread to ask them in. This is in regards to using the iPad like an executive in a meeting would. A notepad that looks like a yellow legal pad, a pointy stylus, and hand-written notes. The questions:

1. Is there an iPad hardware issue that prevents small writing?

2. Are there apps that allow for note taking with small, hand-written-by-stylus characters?

3. If I lean the side of my hand on the iPad to lean as I am writing, is the game over?

From reading this thread, it appears that the iPad isn't built to be a notepad with input from a stylus in an adult-sized character dimension. Is that correct? Is it impossible for us to see a pointy stylus + an app + anti-hand recognition technology to turn the iPad into, you know, a Pad?

There are many uses for my iPad in the executive workplace. One of the ones I was looking forward to was using it with a stylus to take meeting notes by hand.

BJ

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
1. Is there an iPad hardware issue that prevents small writing?

No. Take a look at the app HandWriting Mail. It has a great way to input text, even small. It's one of the nicest ones I've seen for input handwritten text quickly.

The problem is, the only way to output what you've written is email. They have no way to save multiple notebooks/sheets within the app itself. Disappointing.

2. Are there apps that allow for note taking with small, hand-written-by-stylus characters?

See above.

Penultimate is EXCELLENT. It's one of the best I've seen in terms of mimicking what it feels like to write with a real pen on paper. It even seems to do a decent job of simulating pressure sensitivity - which surprised me.

I wish it offered an input area option like HandWriting Mail though. It's hard to keep you hand off the screen when you're writing up at the top of the page. Wearing a glove is an easy solution, but not a very stylish one! LOL

3. If I lean the side of my hand on the iPad to lean as I am writing, is the game over?

Yup, unless you wear a glove, or put a microfiber cloth under your hand (which is what I do when sketching).

From reading this thread, it appears that the iPad isn't built to be a notepad with input from a stylus in an adult-sized character dimension. Is that correct? Is it impossible for us to see a pointy stylus + an app + anti-hand recognition technology to turn the iPad into, you know, a Pad?

I think we're on our way. There are some good handwriting apps already that just need some fine-tuning. There are some EXCELLENT drawing apps that could take a lesson from penultimate in their simulation of pressure sensitivity.

There is at least one app that provides a "dead zone" to lean your hand on... I can't remember the name of it right now... so it's certainly possible!

HandWriting Mail puts the input field at the bottom, so your hand would never rest on the screen. If other handwriting apps offered the option for similar, we'd have some perfect handwriting apps out there!

There are many uses for my iPad in the executive workplace. One of the ones I was looking forward to was using it with a stylus to take meeting notes by hand.

I already plan to do it with Penultimate :)

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Those folks using the pogo you're sketching right and not actually writing?

What can you use the replaces a pen writing on a pad? That's what I'm looking for.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. There's hope for us yet.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Those folks using the pogo you're sketching right and not actually writing?

What can you use the replaces a pen writing on a pad? That's what I'm looking for.

519-cross-century-2-starlight-fountain-pen-0.jpg

+1.

I think that's what all of us are looking for. Forget the iPad artist community. We executive types need a sexy digital notepad to whip out in the boardroom. Before we can do that, need a stylus that looks like an executive's pen, not an aluminum toothpaste tube with a Q-Tip on the end.

BJ

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
I've finally ordered the Pogo Sketch after seeing that the Penultimate support site recommends them and I guess those pictures they have were created with them.

519-cross-century-2-starlight-fountain-pen-0.jpg

+1.

I think that's what all of us are looking for. Forget the iPad artist community. We executive types need a sexy digital notepad to whip out in the boardroom. Before we can do that, need a stylus that looks like an executive's pen, not an aluminum toothpaste tube with a Q-Tip on the end.

BJ

Nodwick

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
Here's an iPad accessory for all those inking types: http://www.smudgeguard.com/

I haven't used it myself, but supposedly it gets rid of the palm problem while not making you wear a whole glove.

also: bluetooth pressure-sensitive pen? I say make a start-up to make and sell these. The potential college-going note-taking audience may be bigger than you think. You could even team up with smudgeguard to include one of those those in a purchase.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Here's an iPad accessory for all those inking types: http://www.smudgeguard.com/

I haven't used it myself, but supposedly it gets rid of the palm problem while not making you wear a whole glove.

also: bluetooth pressure-sensitive pen? I say make a start-up to make and sell these. The potential college-going note-taking audience may be bigger than you think. You could even team up with smudgeguard to include one of those those in a purchase.

I have a left handed child that is going to want this when she sees it!

sculptor310

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
material??

The design looks great, but make sure that it works with the ipad before buying. I spent a while at the fabric store discovering which fabrics were capacitive blockers and which were not. Cotton for example is not. Spandex works better but isn't perfect. A layer of spandex will block one finger, but it takes two layers of spandex to block the side of a hand.

I ended up buying some material they had labeled as "sweatshirt" material, however it is much thinner than you'd imagine. I'm making a single layer glove with a small patch on the edge of the hand to give a double layer in that area.

The smudgeguard is listed as a nylon spandex blend. I'd imagine that it would block fingers but I'm cautious of its abilities to block the edge of the hand. If anyone has tried this, please write a review.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
The design looks great, but make sure that it works with the ipad before buying. I spent a while at the fabric store discovering which fabrics were capacitive blockers and which were not. Cotton for example is not. Spandex works better but isn't perfect. A layer of spandex will block one finger, but it takes two layers of spandex to block the side of a hand.

I ended up buying some material they had labeled as "sweatshirt" material, however it is much thinner than you'd imagine. I'm making a single layer glove with a small patch on the edge of the hand to give a double layer in that area.

The smudgeguard is listed as a nylon spandex blend. I'd imagine that it would block fingers but I'm cautious of its abilities to block the edge of the hand. If anyone has tried this, please write a review.

There are several apps that eliminate the hand input issue by having a secondary window at the bottom where text is input. Ghostwriter is a pretty good one and Notetaker HD which has been submitted but not yet accepted looks to be another step forward and quite polished. See youtube for a video on the latter. ijot also uses a secondary window, but is better probably on the iphone than the ipad.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
There are several apps that eliminate the hand input issue by having a secondary window at the bottom where text is input. Ghostwriter is a pretty good one and Notetaker HD which has been submitted but not yet accepted looks to be another step forward and quite polished. See youtube for a video on the latter. ijot also uses a secondary window, but is better probably on the iphone than the ipad.

+1
So far Ghostwriter has been my favorite, though it is a bit laggy the more you fill up the page with notes. I used it today in a meeting and all the executives were impressed. LOL

Notetaker HD looks awesome and I'm excited to try it when it comes out...

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Penultimate is EXCELLENT. It's one of the best I've seen in terms of mimicking what it feels like to write with a real pen on paper. It even seems to do a decent job of simulating pressure sensitivity - which surprised me.

Penultimate appears to vary line thickness by the speed of input, which nicely mimics written text (when one writes, the quicker strokes see one slightly lifting their instrument). It's clever and it works well.

But there are a couple serious hardware limitations here with the capacitive display, make no mistake - no real pressure sensitivity (a bt stylus can fix) and the fact that a minimal area of the screen must be activated to register a touch - it simply cannot use a fine tipped stylus. That alone will keep writing a bit kludgy.

Personally, I don't see how someone could say Penultimate is even in the same ballpark as a pen and paper. I tried it for a day in the office, no thanks.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
Personally, I don't see how someone could say Penultimate is even in the same ballpark as a pen and paper. I tried it for a day in the office, no thanks.

Never said it was... I said it had a beautiful feel to it when writing and was the most "pen like" in terms of feeling like a real pen.

However... See my reply above yours.

You NEED an input field for any serious note taking. I took substantial notes in a meeting today using Ghostwriter. Worked very well. But I have high hopes that Notetaker HD will be even better.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
I am also looking for the best app & stylus combo.
Pen ultimate is nice, but I need something better, with typing, search, better use of paper size (auto zoom) etc.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
You NEED an input field for any serious note taking. I took substantial notes in a meeting today using Ghostwriter. Worked very well. But I have high hopes that Notetaker HD will be even better.

Hmm, I'll take a look at those.

Anyone have updates on the upcoming iPad stylus from Ten One (makers of Pogo Sketch)?

charboiled

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Ozaki stylus

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was able to purchase this stylus? If so, where did you go to get one?

I have tried clicking all over their website, searched online, and even emailed them asking how I can purchase one. No luck.

Thanks

Charles

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Hmm, I'll take a look at those.

Anyone have updates on the upcoming iPad stylus from Ten One (makers of Pogo Sketch)?

Notetaker HD is solid. I still think that the auto advance feature is awkward at best. Makes it more difficul than using a piece of paper. I am not sure if a pointy stylus can help with note taking by eliminating the need for a seperate writing box. If not, then ijot has an opening to come in and deliver something truly amazing...

dkhenkin

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
New update for penultimate really rounded off the app for me. The wrist protection feature finally let's me write comfortably on the iPad. Now all I need is a bit nicer stylus (currently using the pogo one) and I bet the iPad can be an awesome notepad replacement.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
New update for penultimate really rounded off the app for me. The wrist protection feature finally let's me write comfortably on the iPad. Now all I need is a bit nicer stylus (currently using the pogo one) and I bet the iPad can be an awesome notepad replacement.

Bet again. Unfortunately, unless you use crayons to take notepad notes at work or school there's no way that the current mix of hardware/software can deliver a real notepad replacement.

Not only does the stylus have to get more pointy (the easy part) but the screen needs to be able to understand the input, deliver it faster, and with the type of small-letter accuracy that has yet to be demonstrated.

Sadly, I'm looking for a new folio that looks like this:

notepadipad.jpg

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.