Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
You must be thinking of that awful film. The real voice was, of course, the late Peter Jones.

Correct. I grew up on the TV show, just that bit too young for the radio.
Jones' voice was as much part of my childhood as Peter Fermin or Kate Bush

The film was indeed as pale a copy as were star wars 1-3.
But it does show the place Fry has in british culture.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Surprisingly impressed by the review. It looks great and I can't wait for it to come out in Australia. Good thing it's not right away so I can save some more!

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
The next iProduct with a front facing camera gets my cash.

Love the idea of the iPad, but my 3g is 2 years old this summer and the 4g rumours look tempting...

Skuman

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
My wife is a chemist and would buy that ipad for the perodic table app alone.

Actually, she would find it handy because lack of a keyboard meant that less chance of getting reactants stuck in the keyboard / spillage damage. Plus you can just prop it up in the corner, a laptop would be more fiddly.

However, I can't believe that they didn't put a USB or SD card socket in the edge somewhere, it looks thick enough.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
The iTouch comparison, is getting old. It is nothing like and ITouch. I'll let others explain...

thats because there is no such thing as an iTouch.

now an ipod touch, of course its something like it... its running a slightly different version of the iPhone OS, it can run all of the same programs as the ipod touch and it has a ARM processor as its core... it just has a bigger screen

Does Phil Schiller deny that its like a large iPod touch/iPhone, or doesnt he..,

lets see the convo

"There's a negative way of saying that," says Schiller, "and a positive. 'Oh, it's just a big iPhone ... boo!' or 'Hey, it's like a big iPhone ... cool!' Luckily, millions of people have those, so there is an instant ease and familiarity when they first encounter the iPad.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1976935-1,00.html#ixzz0jw3I9xbC

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Aye. And this is how it breaks down:

Techies: 'Oh, it's just a big iPhone ... boo!'

Rest of world: 'Hey, it's like a big iPhone ... cool!'

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Aye. And this is how it breaks down:

Techies: 'Oh, it's just a big iPhone ... boo!'

Rest of world: 'Hey, it's like a big iPhone ... cool!'

Im a techie and I like the fact its basically a big iPhone :p

I can see exactly where this would fit in for me, almost replacing my MacBook Pro.

However it needs multi-tasking (IM running all the time) before I'll even think about getting one.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London

I can see exactly where this would fit in for me, almost replacing my MacBook Pro.

However it needs multi-tasking (IM running all the time) before I'll even think about getting one.

Now is it a need or a want? What's the opportunity cost?

Almost replacing your MBP? What do you use it for?

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008

Ditto - we should consider ourselves exceptional. :D

Ditto imac. Keep the desktop for Final cut and Logic, the rest is leisure time which i would much rather do on the sofa on a iPad form.

I think that is taken as read. with a big screen you can realistically have 2 apps running simultaneously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.