Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Hello.

I am doing video interviews with people, and want to set up a rig where the interviewee can watch a video clip, and then I can ask them their thoughts on the clip.

The goal is to have a display that can be attached to my tripod, and which can be positioned in such a way that the interviewee is basically looking in camera because I would like to record their reactions as they watch the video. (Not looking for a teleprompter solution, because they are watching video, not reading text.)

Am debating which might be better... A 12" iPad or some type of external LED monitor?

Most of these interviews will be done outside - in all kinds of lighting situations and all types of weather - so whatever solution I decide on, it needs to look good in sometimes not so ideal lighting conditions.

(Will probably try to do interviews in the late afternoon, evening, and at night, but they could occur on a blinding morning, or at Noon-time also.)

I know there are all kinds of external LED displays that videographers use for monitoring their video, but I'm thinking an iPad has some advantages...

1.) It will allow me to stream videos from my iPhone to the iPad, so it is both monitor and tablet.

2.) If I find a need for a tablet (e.g. reading a book, travel laptop), then I have the iPad.

3.) Maybe the iPad has a better screen on it?

I wish they made larger iPads (e.g. 15"), but I guess that defeats the purpose of a tablet!

What do you think?

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
The goal is to have a display that can be attached to my tripod, and which can be positioned in such a way that the interviewee is basically looking in camera because I would like to record their reactions as they watch the video.
Are you thinking of using the iPad as a camera while showing a video on the screen at the same time? Because I am not sure if you can do both things at once. Perhaps an external monitor could work better, because multitasking with the Mac can be better.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you have a use for an iPad outside of this purpose (or if... you know, you need an EXCUSE to buy one) then go for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Are you thinking of using the iPad as a camera while showing a video on the screen at the same time? Because I am not sure if you can do both things at once. Perhaps an external monitor could work better, because multitasking with the Mac can be better.

No, I use my iPhone as a video camera.

I just want to add a way to play a video clip to the interviewee in real time and then have them comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.