iPad3 a bust?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ilgreatluigi, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ilgreatluigi macrumors member

Does anyone think that the iPad 3 is a bust? I don't see any new features that are really "wowing" me right now. I can't see myself ever taking advantage of a quad-core processor on an iPad at this point. I barely ever use the whole processor on my iMac and that is with several intensive tasks running like virtual machines and MMO games. Plus it's not like multitasking on my iMac, because of the iPad's background memory controls. I have to admit that the retina display looks wonderful, but do I really need it...no. The other "features" listed involve a lot of apps, which I don't think can be listed as a feature. The last I checked, an app is an app and it is downloaded onto a device. So it just looks prettier on my new iPad 3:confused:? The only feature that I see as being innovative is the ability to take advantage of a vast majority of different WiFi and data networks. I can't see myself upgrading anytime soon from my iPad 2. I must say that I only wish some more of the iPad rumors were actually true.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, no. It will sell like hotcakes. It will sell millions. As far away from "bust" as you can get.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

it's such a bust I can't even order one from apple, their store blew up from such crappy sales.:rolleyes:

5. OSMac macrumors 65816

Hate to disappoint you but its only dual core processor as well.
    Its the graphics that are quad core.

The new iPad will be the biggest seller for Apple yet !

Its all about the display, if you like the current great, but most want perfection :)

6. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I love my iPad 2, but the retina display alone is enough of a reason for me to upgrade. I don't use the cameras & I'm sure I don't push the processors. But it is pretty much my primary computer, so if I'm looking at it a lot, especially for reading, then I want the retina display. Plus I need to give my wife the iPad 2 to upgrade her from the iPad 1. ;)

7. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

8. ilgreatluigi thread starter macrumors member

It will obviously sell, but tell me what features are making you buy it? I agree that upgrading from a 1st to a 3rd would be worth it, but what features are making you upgrade from a 2 to a 3?

9. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

did you miss the keynote? you can answer this for yourself. for me it's the retina display.

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

The screen alone is going to get me to buy one. If the graphics are that much better, then that will be great for a lot of games, etc that people may want ot buy.

My question is, what features could have been added that would have made this feel like a better update to you. Its got some pretty good hardware from what I can see, the rest of the features I want can be provided by software.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

12. OceanView macrumors 65816

Can't answer till I see the iPad display in person.
    I'm sure it will be better than the iPad 2 but will be so good that I would want to upgrade? Guess I will find out next week.

13. ilgreatluigi thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that I can be considered a troll considering that this is the first negative thing that I have ever posted on macrumors. I just can't fathom how a retina display makes it worth the upgrade. This just proves that eye-candy > performance for some people.

----------

And if it came down to it, I may upgrade if I can see a ROI over my current model. Don't be so quick to judge someone based on an opinion.

14. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Anyone who went from the iPhone 3G or 3GS to the iPhone 4's retina display will know how big of an update this is. I would have upgraded even if that we the ONLY thing they improved. I've loved my iPad, but the resolution was too low. Not anymore.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You have 6 posts, 5 when I made such a statement ... and I ask you to re-read my statement.

You ask if the iPad 3 is a bust. Let's see ... no. I said, no more than you are a troll. Ergo, no and no.

16. iDrew87 macrumors member

17. Eves apple macrumors member

18. ilgreatluigi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clearing this up. I did misread your post because I was going through things quickly and kind of skimmed through yours.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The most powerful and user friendly tablet we've ever had in our history, that will soon have even more fantastic Apps to make our lives easier, more fun and better connected.

That's not what you call a bust.

This thread. You could call that a bust.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Skimming only hurts you.

21. urkel macrumors 68030

"Bust" is the wrong term because it infuriates people and makes them eager to disprove you. So how about you phrase it like this...

Is "The New iPad" the iPad you'll want to keep for the next 2 years?

Because if its not then that means there's still something missing and its not illogical to say you expected more.

22. ibarrett94 macrumors member

I think the 11 page thread of people complaining they can't pre order it less then 4 hours after it is announced is a pretty big sign it won't be a bust.

23. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Uh, your original post stated that you didn't see the point in a quad core processor (which the iPad 3 doesn't have btw, GPU is quad, CPU is dual) so why are you talking about eye-candy > performance when you yourself say you don't care about performance?

On that subject the Retina display is far more than eye candy. When people are using these devices for anything more than a minute or two the enhanced resolution will be felt in every single application. Text will be easier to read, HD media will present more detail, graphics (once people build apps for the new iPad) will be clearer and more detailed. In terms of changes you feel every single day the display is, by far and away, the most important and has the most impact on the user.

Let me put it this way: you got a massively upgraded display, a big jump on camera, double the GPU horsepower, an option for LTE and speech to text functionality. About the only thing that didn't get some sort of an update was the shell and storage capacity. What, precisely, do Apple have to do to convince you it's not a "bust"? And please, try and keep features consistent with Apple's design philosophy (e.g. they're not going to cripple battery life for anything).

24. spice weasel macrumors 65816

So better graphics and a quad-core chip don't count as increased performance? How is that eye-candy? What, exactly, were you expecting the new iPad to do, include a real-life Siri that will make you a sandwich upon command?