Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Facetime camera

Wish it was FaceTime HD camera
and big lighter

otherwise it is a solid update, might get it later not immediately though

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Anyone who went from the iPhone 3G or 3GS to the iPhone 4's retina display will know how big of an update this is. I would have upgraded even if that we the ONLY thing they improved. I've loved my iPad, but the resolution was too low. Not anymore.

I agree with you 9 million percent.

I had the 3G and went to the iPhone 4 and it was a huge difference. I'm sure it will be the same from the iPad 1 and 2 to the this new one. I finally upgraded my iPad 1 because I was waiting for them to put in a retina display.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Can't satisfy everyone, I for one think this is the biggest update since the iPhone 4 as far as iOS devices are concerned.

I do worry about what the retina screen at that size will do to the battery though.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I've made fun of everyone on these forums and other forums for upgrading to the iphone 4S but here I am pre-ordering the ipad 3, so does this make me a hypocrite for doing this?

Anyone?

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
What did you expect? ]A revolutionary-mind-blowing-superstar-device every year? Evolutionary steps have to be taken as well...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Looks like an iPad 2S to me. It's actually heavier than the 2. So um, fail moment there.

Not to worry. A vigorous regimen at 24 Hour Fitness will fix that problem for you.

lens17686609_1298744776skinny-guy1.jpg

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I've made fun of everyone on these forums and other forums for upgrading to the iphone 4S but here I am pre-ordering the ipad 3, so does this make me a hypocrite for doing this?

Anyone?

Honest answer? Depends on whether you now realise that people had valid reasons for wanting to do that upgrade (improved performance, Siri, cameras etc) or whether you still make fun. The former, no, the later, very much yes. :D

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008

Anyone?

the beginning of wisdom is learning to admit your own mistakes. That said yes you are. :p

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Does anyone think that the iPad 3 is a bust? I don't see any new features that are really "wowing" me right now. I can't see myself ever taking advantage of a quad-core processor on an iPad at this point. I barely ever use the whole processor on my iMac and that is with several intensive tasks running like virtual machines and MMO games. Plus it's not like multitasking on my iMac, because of the iPad's background memory controls. I have to admit that the retina display looks wonderful, but do I really need it...no. The other "features" listed involve a lot of apps, which I don't think can be listed as a feature. The last I checked, an app is an app and it is downloaded onto a device. So it just looks prettier on my new iPad 3:confused:? The only feature that I see as being innovative is the ability to take advantage of a vast majority of different WiFi and data networks. I can't see myself upgrading anytime soon from my iPad 2. I must say that I only wish some more of the iPad rumors were actually true.

I knew it was inevitable that here would be some people complaining that this wasn't much of an upgrade, but it still amazes me. If we were talking about going from the iPhone 4 to the 4s, I would totally agree with you. I will argue all day with anybody about what a lackluster upgrade that was, but this new iPad is an incredible upgrade and anybody who doesn't see that needs to seek immediate medical help to have their powers of perception checked.

I've seen a number of people ask this question in other threads and only seen nonsensical responses, but I'll ask it again. What in the world were you expecting?

Fleet would mac

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Does anyone think that the iPad 3 is a bust?
Yes, millions, no doubt. :) But many more millions will probably love it. I think your post relates more to whether it's worth upgrading from an iPad 2, which is a completely different question.

I don't see any new features that are really "wowing" me right now.
Firstly, don't forget that many features were leaked to the public way in advance, thus negating any "wow!" effect. On the contrary, because several other rumors did not prove to be true, it's easy to be disappointed because expectations were simply too high.

Secondly, have you had any "hands on" experience with the iPad's retina display yet? If not, don't worry, I haven't either. :) But because it's impossible to render an impression of it using a lower resolution display, we might find it absolutely gorgeous when we see it for real for the first time.

I can't see myself ever taking advantage of a quad-core processor on an iPad at this point.
For me, the quad core GPU is simply a necessity to drive the huge (4x) increase in the number of pixels, which will probably easily consume any extra horsepower that the additional cores can provide. So I agree with you that it's not a reason in itself to upgrade to the new model.

The only feature that I see as being innovative is the ability to take advantage of a vast majority of different WiFi and data networks. I can't see myself upgrading anytime soon from my iPad 2.
I'm not sure it's innovative. It's just keeping up with the times IMHO. But it's very welcome all the same. :)

Whether you find the new iPad a worthwhile upgrade depends on your usage profile. For example, if you find small text on your iPad 2 perfectly acceptable, take most pictures and videos with your iPhone and either don't have 4G/LTE in your area or don't have a contract allowing you to download oodles of data without having to check your wallet first, then the new iPad is probably not for you (yet). But that doesn't make it a bust...

I must say that I only wish some more of the iPad rumors were actually true.
There we have it. :) It's all a matter of expectations.

manticore999

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
So let me get this straight....

1. Best screen ever on a mobile device
2. Updated processor, gpu, ram
3. LTE capabilities
4. Awesome new and updated apps

And this is considered a poor update? You guys are crazy.

OK, in order

#1 - cool, I guess, but the ipad 2 screen is fine. Don't care about retina display

#2 - again, Ipad2 is fine. The new one is a little faster. yawn ...

#3 - LTE - another yawn. I almost never watch videos on mine and the internet speed is fine for browsing.

#4 - apps. Yeah, ok, a few games will look cooler.

The Ipad 2 sales should soar now, but given the apple fanyboyism i'm sure the 'latest' ipad (really dumb to not name it BTW) will sell as fast if not faster than the ipad 2. Good for Apple, good for the investors.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
It's not a bust for me as I don't have any iPad at present. iPad 2 was a bust for me as didn't have retina display, this was the sole reason I didn't buy one. Having iphone 4 I couldn't then buy a new 'gadget' with a much inferior screen. I'll definitely be buying the iPad 3. It might not be revolutionary, but iPad 2 had everything I wanted but a good display. Now the iPad has everything I want :D

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I will be sure to do this the next time. I now realize that bust is of utmost taboo on this forum. I never meant controversy when I posted this, I was only questioning the features that are making people upgrade. For me I couldn't justify the ROI for a retina display alone.

Well, no, the word "bust" isn't taboo, when used appropriately. Perhaps a better title for your post would have been "for me, this upgrade doesn't do it."

Calling something a bust implies that the product is going to fail. Clearly, this product isn't going to fail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.