iPad3 No Retina - Ok, Sad, Angry, Disappointed, Suicidal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just wondering.

The whole hype and expectation engine on the forums seems to almost be guaranteeing a Retina Display 2048x1536 for the iPad3 next March.

It was almost expected, rather hopefully for iPad2, but as we know it was a bit early for it, and it never happened.

Unless Apple are living in a different world, they must know everyone is expecting this new 4x screen res for the next model. As that's going to be it's BIG point.

I don't think anyone is expecting much on Weight, Battery life, Physical size.
    The only things for iPad3 are Better Camera's, better chipset and the retina display.
    Those are the 3 box's I feel most are expecting will be ticked by the new model.
    Oh and perhaps a 128GB model, though with Apple's premium on the price of memory that's going to bump it up a LOT for a 128GB model.

Does anyone feel that it's still going to be too early for retina display even next year, and there is just not going to be the chipset power to drive it, and/or there is just not going to be the screens in mass production to supply the numbers Apple will be wanting?

I get the feeling it's going to be a major MAJOR disappointment if Retina does not happen for iPad3.

Thoughts?

2. poloponies, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011

poloponies macrumors 68030

There's a ton of wishful thinking going on around here. Nobody promised anyone a "retina display" iPad 3. It was all rank speculation. Apple needs to keep their price points in line with their historic levels. Adding expensive tech isn't going to achieve that. "Retina displays" on the iPad will be cost-effective eventually but likely not until 2013.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Well if the forum expected it to have a retina display, how dare Apple not include it and for this that is why iPad sales are suffering.

4. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Very, true. No one has promised a Retina display 2048x1536 for iPad3 in 2012.

It's just that expectations were raised a little this year due to rumours for the iPad2, though most of us said no.

Given screens with this spec having been shown off in media tech news now, with still 10 months to go before iPad3. I really get the feeling that most/many people are very much expecting iPad3 to have this new super high res screen.

Postings about people holding onto their iPad1 and waiting for iPad3 for the new screen type comments.

Things just seem to be coming together, with expectations that it's going to happen.
    I agree it may well be too soon. Though of course I hope it does happen.
    I just get the feeling from reading many hundreds of postings on all iPad issues that there is a general very strong feeling here that's it's fully expected on the new model, next march.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

While I'm sure Jobs is after a screen that appears like paper (300+ dpi), that resolution is not necessary for a great user experience. Stevie doesn't like lowering the prices of his devices every year, so his option is to upgrade the specs and sell the new device for the same price as the old. Screen resolution is one spec for sure, but others are easier. Quad-core processor? Better cameras? Flash (for the cameras)? Near Field Communication? Etc..

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's not a matter of "possible" but one of "at what price"? Samsung's Pen-tile screen is not readily usable in an iPad as we know it and they omitted important facts like cost and yields.

It takes more than a few months to go from "look at what we can do" to "we can do it in volume at the price you want to pay."

7. cube macrumors G5

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

(You don't actually have to buy each one.)

9. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Interesting that, so far posters here seem to be saying you don't think iPad3 will have the screen res update that's been hinted at.

So, do you think we're going to be using the same screen res as we have now till 2013 then?

It's got to be the same res as now, or 4x the current screen res. You can't have anything in between.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Hinted at" by whom?

11. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Ok, "Generally assumed by many across many many postings over the past few months"

When you read hundreds of postings in dozens of threads about screens and specs on Mac Forums, you get to sense the general feel/mood/expectation that's being talked about.

Perhaps not one VERY specific "It will happen" post, but a general opinion of many different posters.
    Without question I would say the current "general" feeling is that the next iPad will have the higher res screen.
    I would say from all I have read, it's much more expected to have the better screen than is expected the screen will stay the same.

12. jonhcox macrumors regular

I think it'll happen next year, if only because Samsung has displayed the tech, as has LG and others. The big question is will the price stay the same?

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Suicidal, really?! Better start breaking out those razors, because their suppliers so far have said no retina.
    I think you're exaggerating as to the number of people talking about retina in ipad 3. I only observed a small number of people who had hopes for retina.

14. BookMan1979, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011

BookMan1979 macrumors newbie

It sucks to admit that you have a good point. I think it would be great to have a retina display, but also think you make sense here.:(

You hinted at it.

PS lol

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

To be quite honest, I hope the next iPad doesn't have a retina display :D
    It'll make my recently purchased iPad 2 look bad in comparison. I don't mind if it gets updated internals (the iPad 2 is already very snappy) and an upgraded camera (I only use the front camera for Skype and Facetime and it looks pretty good as-is). Basically I'm gonna hold onto my iPad 2 until maybe the iPad 4 (or whichever one gets the upgraded screen to retina quality).

16. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I don't expect it. I don't care. You're taking random comments on a "rumors" board too seriously.

17. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I don't miss miss not The ipad not having a retina display.

18. MTI macrumors 65816

I believe more potential owners would be disappointed if the next gen did not have 4G LTE, more ram or faster processor(s).

19. dizzy130 macrumors member

I'll be hanging on to my iPad 1 until either it breaks or there's an iPad with the pixel density of the iPhone 4...whether that's in 2012 or 2013 or 2014. I don't need a third Facetime device (iPhone 4, MBP) and I have an iPhone and a digital camera so I don't need the rear-facing camera. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'd rather have an iPad with no rear-facing camera so cases don't have to leave a hole for it. 16 gbs are plenty for me, because any trip for which that doesn't hold enough video to keep me occupied (in addition to Netflix, etc) is probably long enough that I'll need to bring my MBP, and my 16 gb iPhone 4 holds all of my music.

But I read on my iPad enough that I'd love the increased resolution. In fact, I only want three things from my iPad before I say it's perfect: 1. Retina display 2. Longer batter life 3. Thinner and (especially) lighter.

Obviously, this is all totally selfish and based on my own usage. And I realize that my three desires for my iPad aren't exactly compatible...it's just what I want :D

20. tekker macrumors regular

Seriously, I don't think anyone would ever think the next iPad would have a retina-display. The cost would be way too high.

There's a reason your tv isn't a retina-display.

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Maybe not a retina display in the way the iphone 4 has it, but definitely higher resolution than they have now. If not i will save my money and skip another generation. I'm keeping my ipad 1 with iOS 5 until the screen is updated, i don't care what kind of other upgrades they make to it.

22. interwebs macrumors member

I guess I didn't take seriously the idea that the ipad 2 would have retina and I'm not particularly expecting it for the ipad 3 either. It's not that I think Apple is out to underwhelm it's consumers so much as the simple economics and logistics of it. 4x the resolution means many times more than that the opportunity for defects in the screens and the manufacturing costs, especially when trying to push millions of units, would probably be rather steep even by next year.

I think it's more likely that savvy consumers are holding out hope for things like 4G LTE, better cameras, new iOS5 features (even some that may be exclusive to the ipad 3), and the like than a 'retina display'.

23. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

i hardly ever use the camera on the ipad 2, and it doesn't seem much faster than ipad 1. i regret buying into ipad and the apple hype. no ipad 3 for me, even with retina display. i will just waste my life playing games that take advantage of my propensity for addictive behavior. **** ipad!

24. darknite38 macrumors regular

Choose two.

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I love the retina display on my iPhone. It made a big difference.

I bought the iPad 2 and figured I'd be disappointed in the screen. But it turns out that 'retina' is mostly important because the iPhone's screen is so small and stuff is crammed into tiny places. When the screen is bigger the UI is bigger and the sharpness doesn't matter too much.

The fact is, my iPad's resolution is better than my Macbook Pro and it's better than my Mac Pro. It's got better resolution than both the Macs in my house.

In other words, I think the people who complain about the iPad's display don't own iPads. I know because I was one of them and I shut up the day I actually started using one.