Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release iPadOS 16.1 in the final week of October, barring any new software bugs or issues, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iPadOS-16-Header.jpg

In a tweet today, Gurman said iPadOS 16.1 is on track to be released the week of October 24. Apple will likely release iOS 16.1 at the same time as iPadOS 16.1 given that the latest beta of each update have the same build number.

Given the delay, iPadOS 16 will be released as iPadOS 16.1 instead. The update is compatible with all iPad Pro models, the third-generation iPad Air and later, the fifth-generation iPad mini and later, and the fifth-generation iPad and later.

Apple previously said iPadOS 16 would be released in October, but the company did not provide a specific release date.

iPadOS 16 was initially expected to be released alongside iOS 16 in September, but Apple delayed the update after some users criticized the new Stage Manager feature that allows for multiple apps to be used in overlapping windows.

Apple recently expanded Stage Manager to older iPad Pro models with A12X and A12Z chips released in 2018 and 2020, albeit without external display support, which limits the feature to four apps on the built-in display on these models. Apple also delayed external display support for iPad models with the M1 chip until later this year.

Apple has improved Stage Manager in recent weeks, but some users said the feature still has several issues in the latest iPadOS 16 beta.

macOS Ventura will also be released in October — potentially alongside iPadOS 16.1.

Article Link: iPadOS 16 Expected to Launch in Final Week of October

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SFjohn

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I don’t think iPadOS 16.1 was delayed because of any feature not working out — they could easily just remove it from that version and release later. It seems more likely that macOS and iPadOS is being released to coincide with new hardware. I still think there could be an event.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I don’t think iPadOS 16.1 was delayed because of any feature not working out — they could easily just remove it from that version and release later. It seems more likely that macOS and iPadOS is being released to coincide with new hardware. I still think there could be an event.
The last beta saw Stage Manager remove external monitor support, and allow older A12X iPad Pros to run run it is fairly major change on the last beta. Not like they want to remove it.

Reactions: Lcgiv

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
This is probably the most controversial iPadOS release in history. I think they need to just do a PSA and tell people, stop expecting more from this device. "We have this ****ing product line called the Mac, if you want to multitask, go there. This is for YouTube and browsing Macrumors, stop!"

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
First thing you should do is turn stage manager off. That way iPad OS 16.1 (at least the beta builds) is usable. You’re welcome!
Stage Manager is an unbelievable mess that needs another year of work. It has too many usability issues when it isn’t crashing. They really ought to remove it from this release.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
This is probably the most controversial iPadOS release in history. I think they need to just do a PSA and tell people, stop expecting more from this device. "We have this ****ing product line called the Mac, if you want to multitask, go there. This is for YouTube and browsing Macrumors, stop!"
It finally convinced MacRumors they needed to separate the iPadOS and iOS forums. Separate developer notes now.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
If this is the case, then we should see all of the final “a” beta builds tomorrow.
Then, all of the RC builds next week.
It also means we should see the new iPads and Macs introduced next week as well alongside the RC builds, probably on the 18th or 19th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.