Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
1665480974075.jpeg

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
16 overall has been a disaster. my iPad was always crashing and rebooting on 16.1. Maybe they've fixed the issue but I really can't be bothered upgrading and finding out I need to revert to 15 or even worse be forced to stay on 16. Apple likes to pull the rug out far too quickly. You should always be allowed to downgrade to the previous major release (16 to 15).
I think a lot of folks are starting to understand what it means to install a beta OS on their main system. 15, as of now, is still the most current non-beta release, so for those concerned with stability, that’s what they should be running.

Word of warning, if you DO wait for 16.2 or 16.3, wait for the FULL RELEASE instead of installing the betas.

Reactions: arkitect

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Was that the original vision for the iPad? It seems like they've treated it as something that can do some "computer-like" things but as a completely different entity that works in a very distinct way from square one. Apple has never been content to put the iPad in the realm of being a "computer," even though they did market it as basically being a "computer" for certain people for a time.

Look at how long it has taken for them to actually offer "desktop-class" apps...

Apple has swayed a long way from the original vision and now just seem to be focused on specs for the iPad without a clear vision of what it is for. Just look at when it was announced the iPad Pro would get the M1 chip with an expensive Tim Cook skit. The OS get's a few more desktop features each year. Stage Manager now sort of allows floating windows. That's fine but what is it for?

It was actually refreshing to see Google announce the Pixel tablet with a clear use case. It lives in your house, it's used as a hub for your home and for watching, reading and sharing content with others, it's always ready to go as it's charged on a magnetic dock. To me this was the sort of thing you used to see with Jobs. When Jobs unveiled the iPad he sat on a sofa and clearly demonstrated it's use case. Now Cook is talking about the chip it has.

Personally I'd move to the regular iPad being primarily content consumption, it needs better battery life and innovative add ons like MagSafe cases (imagine these for gaming etc.) and a charging dock to make it the best it can be for this purpose. The iPad Pro can then be pitched as a great companion device to a Mac allowing you to draw and create on the go. Trying to force it into doing everything or being a Mac replacement will always be a compromised experience.

And the fact is the iPad is being squeezed. Due to much improved battery life the Mac is now more portable than it used to be and big screened phones now are much better for content consumption than they used to be, especially on the go. So where does the iPad fit into this?

I'd split the line up into 3 clear segments.

1. An education iPad - Affordable, plastic case, low-powered with a rugged in box keyboard/trackpad case (or even built in keyboard) and touchscreen for basic school activities. Basic camera and pen support.
  2. iPad - for content consumption, a mid-price point with innovative add ons such as a home dock, stands, gaming cases etc. Basic camera and basic pen support for quick notes/apps,
  3. iPad Pro - creative companion for the Mac. Pro pen support for content creation, keyboard/trackpad case for use on the go, quality camera/LIDAR, companion apps for working on the Mac like Logic etc.

Last edited:

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
It seems Apple is again in a corner regarding its core software. I remember the speech Steve Jobs gave when OSX replaced OS9 and how the complete reweite and new foundation set the stage for the upcoming 20 years.

Those 20 years have passed, though, and Apples software is now where OS9 was 20 years ago.

I hope they have not forgotten those lessons. But: One fundamentally only learns from experience - bad ones are the best for this.

We'll see ... to be continued.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Apple has swayed a long way from the original vision and now just seem to be focused on specs for the iPad without a clear vision of what it is for. Just look at when it was announced the iPad Pro would get the M1 chip with an expensive Tim Cook skit. The OS get's a few more desktop features each year. Stage Manager now sort of allows floating windows. That's fine but what is it for?
Personally I'd move to the iPad being primarily content consumption, it needs better battery life and innovative add ons like a charging dock to make it the best it can be for this purpose. The iPad Pro can then be pitched as a great companion device to a Mac allowing you to draw and create on the go. Trying to force it into doing everything or being a Mac replacement will always be a compromised experience.

And the fact is the iPad is being squeezed. Due to much improved battery life the Mac is now more portable than it used to be and big screened phones now are much better for content consumption than they used to be, especially on the go. So where does the iPad fit into this?

Lots of good analysis and well-thought-out ideas here.

In the end, the iPad is really whatever the users make out of it. I've had iPads ever since the original came out in 2010. In my case, I've now got an iPad Pro with a Smart Keyboard Folio and Apple Pencil 2, aside from my Macs. I find that the Smart Keyboard Folio really (and finally!) raises the iPad up to the level it should have been at from the start. I've used and owned the iPad minis and the Airs, but the iPad Pro makes the most sense on all levels, in terms of being useful for enjoying video content, browsing the Web, checking and processing e-mail, taking notes, sketching, studying foreign languages... the large screen size combined with the portability and immediacy of the device makes all the difference. The issues with the iPad have really centered on the software.

So, to get back to your question (which was about Stage Manager) "what is it for?", I think that will become evident as more people realize that Apple's OS running on the iPad is finally approaching "appropriate" for what the form factor made possible from the beginning. The "squeeze" comes on the iPad Air vs. "plain-vanilla" iPad. Also, for the iPad mini, a lot of iPadOS 16 features don't even really make the iPad mini much better of a device for what it is typically used for. The big change this time is how the new iPadOS makes the models with larger displays so much more capable. Maybe.

Last edited:

mikebenton

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
I just have one simple ask... after I haven't used my iPad for a day or two, I don't want to see every notification that I've already seen on my phone pop up again!

Reactions: arkitect

mikebenton

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009

It was actually refreshing to see Google announce the Pixel tablet with a clear use case. It lives in your house, it's used as a hub for your home and for watching, reading and sharing content with others, it's always ready to go as it's charged on a magnetic dock. To me this was the sort of thing you used to see with Jobs. When Jobs unveiled the iPad he sat on a sofa and clearly demonstrated it's use case. Now Cook is talking about the chip it has.

Personally I'd move to the iPad being primarily content consumption, it needs better battery life and innovative add ons like a charging dock to make it the best it can be for this purpose. The iPad Pro can then be pitched as a great companion device to a Mac allowing you to draw and create on the go. Trying to force it into doing everything or being a Mac replacement will always be a compromised experience.

1. An education iPad - Affordable, plastic case, low-powered with a built in keyboard/trackpad and touchscreen for basic school activities. Basic camera and basic pen support with screen flipped around.
  2. iPad - for content consumption, a mid-price point with innovative add ons such as a home dock, stands, gaming cases etc. Basic camera and basic pen support for quick notes/apps,
  3. iPad Pro - companion for the Mac. Pro pen support for content creation, keyboard/trackpad case for use on the go, quality camera/LIDAR, companion apps for working on the Mac like Logic etc.
Personally, I have found that the iPad Pro 12.9 has been a great laptop replacement. It's not only up to Apple as far as making the iPad a replacement option. Microsoft Office on the iPad has also been an important part of this. Unlike my MacBook (that I hardly use any more), I can use my iPad for both personal and business use. Many companies won't allow you to access company resources on your personal laptop, but will allow it on an iPhone or iPad device. I can use OneNote to take notes with me anywhere I go....or Outlook to access e-mail.

Also, Apple can only do so much when it comes to battery life. Sure...you can put a bigger battery in the device, but then it becomes heavy to hold. You're not meant to hold a laptop up in front of your face, so the extra weight is manageable.

I like the fact that I can pick up my iPad and instantly use it...and it's always connected, whether for personal or work. It's much more portable when I travel locally or do a road trip. I can connect to the company VPN and access company resources. The iPad is what you make of it.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Who really uses an iPad with an external monitor tho
Maybe that's the point. They're working to change it.

I haven't used Stage Manager but from what I read it works better with a mouse. If this is something where it auto switches when a mouse/display connects, maybe it will be beneficial.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I haven’t tried the Beta this time, so I am moderately hyped and cautiously optimistic.
Though I am more interested in any October/November event that would present a chance for Apple to introduce their Pro apps for iPadOS. I mean come on Apple, it’s been two years since M1 iPad Pro!

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I haven't used Stage Manager but from what I read it works better with a mouse. If this is something where it auto switches when a mouse/display connects, maybe it will be beneficial.
I think using it with a mouse makes things like window resizing more like macOS, and maybe that’s what they meant by “works better”. But, waggling to find out where the pointer is and then moving it to where one needs it to be and then clicking or dragging will, to me, always be a little slower than just tapping.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Personally, I have found that the iPad Pro 12.9 has been a great laptop replacement. It's not only up to Apple as far as making the iPad a replacement option. Microsoft Office on the iPad has also been an important part of this. Unlike my MacBook (that I hardly use any more), I can use my iPad for both personal and business use. Many companies won't allow you to access company resources on your personal laptop, but will allow it on an iPhone or iPad device. I can use OneNote to take notes with me anywhere I go....or Outlook to access e-mail.

Also, Apple can only do so much when it comes to battery life. Sure...you can put a bigger battery in the device, but then it becomes heavy to hold. You're not meant to hold a laptop up in front of your face, so the extra weight is manageable.

I like the fact that I can pick up my iPad and instantly use it...and it's always connected, whether for personal or work. It's much more portable when I travel locally or do a road trip. I can connect to the company VPN and access company resources. The iPad is what you make of it.
Basically since i got the 3rd generation 11 inch iPad Pro with the m1 chip, I have also found that it makes an almost perfect laptop replacement with the awesome magic keyboard. Need to find a way to connect a sd card reader to it though, and I would think it having usb c, that should be fairly easy to do, and also would be nice to be able to use a wired printer connection, at least until I replace my home office printer That forgot how to work as a wireless printer.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Definitely going to let some tweaks happen first before I retry 16.1. I just downgraded to 15.7 after some inconsistencies on my 4th gen 12.9 Pro. Even after disabling Stage Manager, I still see some animations like its trying to switch apps using Stage Manager, submitted a few reports about strange behaviors I was seeing.

To those who aren't having any issues, I'm envious!

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009

Most of what you said here echoes my very sentiments in a previous post above ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.