Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I'd split the line up into 3 clear segments.

1. An education iPad - Affordable, plastic case, low-powered with a rugged in box keyboard/trackpad case (or even built in keyboard) and touchscreen for basic school activities. Basic camera and pen support.
  2. iPad - for content consumption, a mid-price point with innovative add ons such as a home dock, stands, gaming cases etc. Basic camera and basic pen support for quick notes/apps,
  3. iPad Pro - creative companion for the Mac. Pro pen support for content creation, keyboard/trackpad case for use on the go, quality camera/LIDAR, companion apps for working on the Mac like Logic etc.
isn’t this how it already is today?
iPad: thicker design, basic camera, home button, older CPU, just basic all around. Basic keyboard and pencil support, apparently magic keyboard support possibly coming in the next update. $329, $299 for education. That’s about as cheap as the iPad will ever get, the fantasy of Apple making a $150 iPad will never happen.
Midrange: iPad Air, Apple Pencil 2 support, magic keyboard support, M1, stage manager support, USB-C, basic cameras, $599.
Top-of-the-line: iPad Pro, pretty much everything you’ve listed. Advanced camera and AR system, 120 Hz display, Apple Pencil support, magic keyboard support, up to 2TB of storage and 16 GB of RAM, 4 speakers, thunderbolt.
Literally the only thing extra Apple has is the iPad mini

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Thank you. But an answer from another thread said the animation is still there but you need to try turning the page from the corners. Would you be so kind to test if it's true?
Just downloaded this book (free)
No page animations, just slides away.

Any of my old comics and graphic novels DO still have the page turn animation.

brauntj

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2014
Chicago, IL
Man. Am I the only one out there that likes Stage Manager? That and external monitor support are awesome for lightweight users like myself.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
Just downloaded this book (free)
No page animations, just slides away.

Any of my old comics and graphic novels DO still have the page turn animation.
Thanks so much for testing. What I don’t understand though is how your comics can still have the page-turning animation. Is it not the app itself that creates the animation? Very strange…

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Man. Am I the only one out there that likes Stage Manager? That and external monitor support are awesome for lightweight users like myself.
No, you’re not. ;) After realizing that trying to make what I had learned about Split Screen and Slideover work for Stage Manager, I started using Stage Manager’s way of working and I’ve gotten used to it.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Thanks so much for testing. What I don’t understand though is how your comics can still have the page-turning animation. Is it not the app itself that creates the animation? Very strange…
So, I think it’s related to a decision Apple has made as it refers to image based books compared to text based and other books. There are, I think, three kinds of “books”. Text, Pages template/PDF, and image. Pages template/PDF books swipe like they always have, text books now also swipe, it’s only the books that are full page images, NOT done as Pages templates, that get the page curls.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
The complaints are going to be through the roof when this comes out, because Mac users simply cannot accept that Apple WILL NOT turn the iPad into a Mac.

I welcome all the multitasking options Apple has given the iPad, but they already had me at swipe with 4 fingers, just like switching Mac desktops.

I also don't need the external monitor support; I have the best monitor right on the device. I do welcome it though; More capability is always good AS LONG AS it doesn't detract from the existing excellent experience.

Thus, Apple can keep adding capabilities I will not use to the iPad as long as they don't frak with what brought me here in the first place.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
So, I think it’s related to a decision Apple has made as it refers to image based books compared to text based and other books. There are, I think, three kinds of “books”. Text, Pages template/PDF, and image. Pages template/PDF books swipe like they always have, text books now also swipe, it’s only the books that are full page images, NOT done as Pages templates, that get the page curls.
That makes sense. Thank you.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Apple has swayed a long way from the original vision and now just seem to be focused on specs for the iPad without a clear vision of what it is for. Just look at when it was announced the iPad Pro would get the M1 chip with an expensive Tim Cook skit. The OS get's a few more desktop features each year. Stage Manager now sort of allows floating windows. That's fine but what is it for?
Appeasing the LOUD Mac fans that just won't shut up about what the iPad is not.

It was actually refreshing to see Google announce the Pixel tablet with a clear use case. It lives in your house, it's used as a hub for your home and for watching, reading and sharing content with others, it's always ready to go as it's charged on a magnetic dock. To me this was the sort of thing you used to see with Jobs. When Jobs unveiled the iPad he sat on a sofa and clearly demonstrated it's use case. Now Cook is talking about the chip it has.
Yep. Google took a page from Apple's best (old) marketing and applied it effectively. They described exactly what I use my iPad for, although Apple had done this already with their excellent "Your next computer is not a computer" and "How to correctly use a computer" ads.

Personally I'd move to the regular iPad being primarily content consumption, it needs better battery life and innovative add ons like MagSafe cases (imagine these for gaming etc.) and a charging dock to make it the best it can be for this purpose. The iPad Pro can then be pitched as a great companion device to a Mac allowing you to draw and create on the go. Trying to force it into doing everything or being a Mac replacement will always be a compromised experience.

And the fact is the iPad is being squeezed. Due to much improved battery life the Mac is now more portable than it used to be and big screened phones now are much better for content consumption than they used to be, especially on the go. So where does the iPad fit into this?

I'd split the line up into 3 clear segments.

1. An education iPad - Affordable, plastic case, low-powered with a rugged in box keyboard/trackpad case (or even built in keyboard) and touchscreen for basic school activities. Basic camera and pen support.
  2. iPad - for content consumption, a mid-price point with innovative add ons such as a home dock, stands, gaming cases etc. Basic camera and basic pen support for quick notes/apps,
  3. iPad Pro - creative companion for the Mac. Pro pen support for content creation, keyboard/trackpad case for use on the go, quality camera/LIDAR, companion apps for working on the Mac like Logic etc.
I think Apple already did this. I think all iPads are really great.

But for me the iPad Pro is the Porsche SUV of iPads. I can do it all with ease AND style.

Which is why I chose it, even over a Mac. I do get not everyone can do this, but for my, the iPad Pro really is "my next computer", and all I'll ever need until wearables overtake it.

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I think you have basically defined it correctly.

For me, the iPad niche(s) are reading (books/PDFs), markups, and notes. I would also add drawing and sketching for the subset of users that do this type of thing...not me 😀. The MacBook is better for productivity apps (e.g. iWork/Office) and multi-tasking.
My iPad is my workhorse. I use it far more than any of my other Apple devices -- including my Macbook Pro. I travel frequently and I use it in the morning to surf the web with my coffee, I use it to check my personal and business emails, I use it during my meetings to demo Powerpoints and take notes in OneNote, I use it to access our corporate systems, I use it for Teams calls and meetings, I read books on it, in my hotel room I connect it to the TV (after I hack a few that lockdown access) and watch my personal streaming services like HBO and Prime, I use it to set a sound for sleep, I pretty much use it for...

...everything.

The only time I pull out my Mac is when I need to do a lot of typing. The iPad SUCKS for typing.

I can't imagine not having it -- which makes me think I don't want to upgrade anytime soon to iPadOS 16. I can't afford to brick this thing...

Rexogamer

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
SE London (one day, Toronto)
I honestly think the problem is just that Apple rushes to get a major update out each year - if they just said "hey, we need some more time so we're taking a year off but here are a few of the things we're going to add in the next major update" I wouldn't mind too much

TundraKing

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2021
Drip...Drip...Drip... with each iPadOS release comes a major enhancement moving it ever closer to becoming a touch screen Mac..... iPadOS 17 will most certainly bring more Mac style interface functionality to the iPad......

This is getting ridiculous to the point of being absurd....

Just allow the iPad Pro to dual boot into MacOS and be done with it!! But Apple will never do it because they want to maximize their revenue streams to try and keep people buying TWO machines that can essentially do the SAME EXACT THING!!!

Reactions: Rexogamer

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Just allow the iPad Pro to dual boot into MacOS and be done with it!! But Apple will never do it because they want to maximize their revenue streams to try and keep people buying TWO machines that can essentially do the SAME EXACT THING!!!
Well, the ONLY people that are potentially buying two machines are just those buying Macs. My question would be, how many Mac owning folks, aware of and needing the features of the Mac… buying iPads?

TundraKing

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2021
Well, the ONLY people that are potentially buying two machines are just those buying Macs. My question would be, how many Mac owning folks, aware of and needing the features of the Mac… buying iPads?
I PERSONALLY know of several including myself who own both and would ditch the Mac if they could run MacOS on their iPad Pro! Rest assured there are likely hundreds of thousands more as well......

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I PERSONALLY know of several including myself who own both and would ditch the Mac if they could run MacOS on their iPad Pro! Rest assured there are likely hundreds of thousands more as well......
Do they want an iPadOS system that runs macOS? OR do they want that iPad shell to COME with macOS as it’s only OS? I think the whole “two OS’s” idea comes from a thought that Apple wouldn’t release that form factor with macOS on it. Whereas I think it’s more likely that they’d release a single os macOS system than a dual, especially as producing MB’s and MBP’s were to trend downwards in sales and become less profitable to make a separate case.

TundraKing

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2021
Do they want an iPadOS system that runs macOS? OR do they want that iPad shell to COME with macOS as it’s only OS? I think the whole “two OS’s” idea comes from a thought that Apple wouldn’t release that form factor with macOS on it. Whereas I think it’s more likely that they’d release a single os macOS system than a dual, especially as producing MB’s and MBP’s were to trend downwards in sales and become less profitable to make a separate case.
A convertible Mac would be fine with me.....I agree with you that an "iPad OS" that runs and supports Mac apps or a "MacPad" hardware device would be equally good. The main point is that we Apple users deserve a FULL FUNCTIONING device with the flexibility of a convertible (ie tablet or notebook). I'd order such a device immediately.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
A convertible Mac would be fine with me.....I agree with you that an "iPad OS" that runs and supports Mac apps or a "MacPad" hardware device would be equally good.
The iPad form factor IS indeed compelling and, as primarily an iPad user, I can see why a Mac user would prefer a MacPad running macOS over what Apple’s currently offering for Macs. Maybe Apple replaced “notebook” with “Laptop” on their site because they plan to release such a Mac. As it would not run iPadOS, there would be no need to try to mix touch and point driven controls or switch between mode. It would come with a Magic Keyboard and the trackpad would work the same as on macOS.

The main point is that we Apple users deserve a FULL FUNCTIONING device with the flexibility of a convertible (ie tablet or notebook).
You specifically mean macOS users deserve a full functioning device? Because, for millions of folks with iPads, they’re as fully functioning as they expect. iPads still lack some macOS features, but, to folks that have never used macOS, that’s not anything they’re bound to be missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.