Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteamedHams

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Finland
I’m experiencing this issue with Photos App on iPad Pro 12.9”, iPadOS 14.6.

Photos app freezes when I switch between days/months/years and scroll up & down a bit. It stops responding and I have to kill & reopen it.

This only happens when Magic Keyboard is connected. I have two 12.9” iPad Pros (2018 & 2021) and it happens on both models. Can’t reproduce it when the iPad is not connected to the Magic Keyboard.

Anyone else noticed this?

Kzel1

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2021
I have the same issue since up date 14.5 i had contact Apple Canada and spoke with a tech 2 level and he told me it's and update issue but when i updated to 14.6 i have the same issues.

Genius Elon

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Miami Beach, FL
I have the issue with another app Wechat, when the ipad with magic keyboard stands like a laptop, and use the keyboard to unlock the ipad, Wechat would freeze for about 10 seconds, then it goes back to normal. The issue exists in iPadOS from 14.0-14.7. Just pain the rear.

SteamedHams

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Finland
The issue of Photos freezing when using Magic Keyboard is still there in iPadOS 15 beta 4. The changes of getting this fixed seem to be slim; this has been reported back in the day it first appeared in iPadOS 14.

Genius Elon

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Miami Beach, FL

Photos app freezes when I switch between days/months/years and scroll up & down a bit. It stops responding and I have to kill & reopen it.

This only happens when Magic Keyboard is connected. I have two 12.9” iPad Pros (2018 & 2021) and it happens on both models. Can’t reproduce it when the iPad is not connected to the Magic Keyboard.

Have you tried to reset you iPad? I just tried the Photos app and didn’t have this problem, but as I said, a similar problem exists in Wechat. Not sure if a total reset could resolve this.

Genius Elon

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Miami Beach, FL

I just had a full reset of the iPad but the wechat issue persists……..

SteamedHams

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Finland
Have you tried to reset you iPad? I just tried the Photos app and didn’t have this problem, but as I said, a similar problem exists in Wechat. Not sure if a total reset could resolve this.
Resetting does not help, the issue occurs on multiple devices.

SteamedHams

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Finland
Are you using the Micro-USB on the keyboard for charging? I have changed by charging port to the one on iPad itself and seems resolved the freezing. You may have a try and let me know whether it fixes the problem.
No charging involved when the issue occurs.

Genius Elon

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Miami Beach, FL
No charging involved when the issue occurs.
I understand. My problem happens when using the port on keyboard to charge and when unplug, the issue persists. However, now seems if using the port on iPad to charge and then unplug, no such freezing issue.
You may the iPad port to charge, then unplug it, then try again. Very very strange……

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.