iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Hands-On: Much-Improved Cameras Within Unsightly Bump

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Doesn’t bother me the bump always disappears in the Apple leather cases
Although: (1) Apple didn't release a leather case for the 11, and (2) IMO, the leather case on the "Pro" models actually accentuate the square. It looks even stranger in a case.

I agree with some that these squares look somewhat better on the actual phones than they did in rumor-based renders, but they still are far less than ideal.

iReality85

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY

For 2020, Apple really needs to return to a flat edge design (like the 5S). The rounded edges add so much bezel on top of the actual screen bezel.

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
So, in summary, the event was a disaster apart from the camera advancement.
So, our friend was spot on - Apple didn't really deliver anything amazing EXCEPT the camera on the iPhone. The rest = really terrible. Apple Watch is pretty much nothing.

The cam bump looks ugly but I understand why it has to be like this. In fact, the whole event was "saved" by the camera improvements on the Pro. Nothing else was good or innovative.
Pro (which they called professional and top) comes with 64GB - that is a joke. Pro should start at 128GB at least if not 256GB.

So overall, boring event that was saved by one feature but let me tell you, that advancement in the camera is indeed amazing. Having ability to shoot all 3 lenses together will make for amazing video content for those that want to be very creative and the low light capability looks amazing. If real world usage shows the same then I might finally upgrade my iPhone 6. :)
Although I'm tempted to get iPhone 8 as that price is super cheap. The cost on 11 Pro in Canada is insane. Almost $1600 before tax - wtf is that?

caporeem

macrumors newbie
I'm really not a fan of this Matte Gold colorway of the iPhone 11 Pro. In my opinion, the Gold iPhone XS Max was really dead on the money of pure Gold and it was the color to go for. They've tried so many times to get it right but never got it right until the iPhone XS Max and with this Matte Gold colorway for iPhone 11 Pro, I'm just not feeling it. I might be wrong here but I'd like to hear what you guys think?

Chloros

macrumors regular
May 4, 2016
so 11pro max next to a 10x max are the exact same aside form the ugly camera on the pro? I thought i was watching last years videos of the 10x max

Black Diesel

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
There are so many darn iPhone threads now....

I'm upgrading from an iPhone 6s. Are these the only differences between the 11 and 11 Pro?

Better OLED display on Pro
Slightly better battery in Pro
Telephoto camera lens included in Pro only
Film tools for Pro only that allow special video features like simultaneously video recording form different lenses
512GB in Pro versus maximum 256GB in 11

What else is the difference between iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro other than what I listed above and size/finish?

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
So, in summary, the event was a disaster apart from the camera advancement.
So, our friend was spot on - Apple didn't really deliver anything amazing EXCEPT the camera on the iPhone. The rest = really terrible. Apple Watch is pretty much nothing.

The cam bump looks ugly but I understand why it has to be like this. In fact, the whole event was "saved" by the camera improvements on the Pro. Nothing else was good or innovative.
Pro (which they called professional and top) comes with 64GB - that is a joke. Pro should start at 128GB at least if not 256GB.

So overall, boring event that was saved by one feature but let me tell you, that advancement in the camera is indeed amazing. Having ability to shoot all 3 lenses together will make for amazing video content for those that want to be very creative and the low light capability looks amazing. If real world usage shows the same then I might finally upgrade my iPhone 6. :)
Although I'm tempted to get iPhone 8 as that price is super cheap. The cost on 11 Pro in Canada is insane. Almost $1600 before tax - wtf is that?
Seems the only other thing that was noteworthy at the event is the price of Apple TV+ and that you get a free year with a device purchase. It's smart. The market responded with AAPL up 1.5% and DIS down 2.15%. Not that those are great moves by any means, however it showed sentiment when during the event the only thing that moved the needle was that part of the event.

So I guess it depends on how you define failure.

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
Seems the only other thing that was noteworthy at the event is the price of Apple TV+ and that you get a free year with a device purchase. It's smart. The market responded with AAPL up 1.5% and DIS down 2.15%. Not that those are great moves by any means, however it showed sentiment when during the event the only thing that moved the needle was that part of the event.

So I guess it depends on how you define failure.
Sure, having stream service for that price is indeed amazing but I wouldn't call that innovative. I do agree with you though. Perfect timing for Apple to counter Disney.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I’m not fond of the smartphone camera war as it wields these products which I really don’t think will age well.
I agree, and not everyone will use or take advantage of the full capabilities of the camera's features. Most people just wanna take pics and post, not everyone will be editing before posting. It's a nice feature to have but if the design gets compromised by that hideous bump, then it'll be a while before I upgrade my Xs Max. I'm really happy with my phone so far.

TheIntruder

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2008
Aesthetics are subjective…

…that said, seeing the "cluster" (it's no longer just a bump) in 3D hasn't made it any more attractive. If anything, it looks worse, like warts given their own stage.

For my taste, iPhone design peaked with the 4/5 series, which had the seriousness of a good tool, but were still elegant, much like a great camera design.

With the 11, it seems that the designers couldn't find a good way to accommodate all the things the engineers needed, especially by continuing to constrain themselves to a certain thickness for the rest of the body.

Reactions: seanrt

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Sure, having stream service for that price is indeed amazing but I wouldn't call that innovative. I do agree with you though. Perfect timing for Apple to counter Disney.
I think calling the event a disaster simply because of this was an overstatement. We all knew it wasn't the year for a super cycle.

Reactions: archer75

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Has anyone noticed in the tech specs for the iPhone 11, iPhone Pro / iPhone Pro Max, in the video recording section, a feature called Audio Zoom?

Was curious on what this is, as there was nothing mentioned in the Keynote. Just wondering if its like the similar feature on the Note 10.

See this screenshot:

Attachments

Reactions: archer75

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I guess this is the year of the camera. I’m okay with this look, though I wonder if it’ll be scaled back in later models.

actually tbh I genuinely like this look, it’s quirky and prioritising the camera in the high end version makes sense to me? Interesting evolution where you want to improve things but are really running out of stuff to tweak.

Reactions: Fatboy71