Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWinMedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2019
Hello

I returned my last iPhone 11 Pro Max after it was making a clicking noise in the middle of the screen and near the Apple logo when I pressed softly.

I got a brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max today after waiting 3 weeks on this because it was out of stock. However, its doing exactly the same sound. This time even worse, the screen is popping and making a clicking sound in the middle of the phone when I press softly.

Do you guys have problem with this? This is my second time with the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I have called Apple again, and they will send a new one. However, if the third one is doing the same I am done with Apple.

Anyone having this issue as well?

robrobrobro

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Do you mean a mechanical/hardware noise or a noise from the speaker? I've noticed that my 11 makes a weird little quick sound from the speaker whenever haptic touch is used, like when clicking a link on a webpage or swiping up from the home screen. It's barely audible but still, it's there. Just hope it's a software glitch and not some hardware malfunction.

Reactions: igroeg

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yep, mine clicks when I press both front and back glass - tiny little creak click noise. Definitely hardware because I do it with the screen off. I haven't noticed it till now. Every year there seems to be a thread like this - I remember I could do this with my 6+, 6s+, etc... Doesn't affect the usability of the phone for me. I didn't even notice it till now. I don't often use my phone by pinching the front and back glass like that.

If I set the phone down on the table and press the front glass, there is no "click" noise so I don't see how this would affect normal operation.

If it bugs you enough, then good luck with your future prospects. This is probably one of the greatest times to buy non-Apple products.

That said, if something like this bothers you, you're going to have a hell of a time with less QC and plastic/cheaper materials.

TheWinMedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2019
Its not from the speaker. Its mechanical/hardware issue. its seems to be that the back glass and the front glass is not glued properly.

Video from a guy with an iPhone Xs Max. I have much louder noise than this, and my screen is also popping not only the backglass.

Last edited:

vagelisder

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Its not from the speaker. Its mechanical/hardware issue. its seems to be that the back glass and the front glass is not glued properly.

Video from a guy with an iPhone Xs Max. I have much louder noise than this, and my screen is also popping not only the backglass.

Have you fixed your phone yet? I saw your posts in several websites and I was thinking what happend. I own an iPhone 11 Pro Max too and I barely noticed a little click when pressing apple logo. It seems to be normal after some research.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
This is a common issue on the Max devices. I believe due to size there is a void near the Apple logo.

vagelisder

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Probably confined to the Max versions as my 11 Pro doesn’t make any sounds.

When I tried to press the apple logo for the first time I didn’t hear anything. When I got back home in silence I tried and I barely hear a little click. I tried it on my iPhone X and makes the same click.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I have the exact issue but on the smaller 11 pro. It makes a clicking noise, as if a spark is going off inside when pressed in the middle or twist it very gently. I can also hear the phone whistling and whining when I put it close to my ear. This is the first time I can “hear” a phone working... I hope this is normal and not a sign of something terrible going on inside. I wonder if I should get it checked at an Apple store.

sammjordan

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
This has been happening for awhile now, I had this same sound on my 7 Plus, 8 Plus, XS Max. My 11 max hasn't made the sound yet, fingers crossed!

shayaanmalik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Have you fixed your phone yet? I saw your posts in several websites and I was thinking what happend. I own an iPhone 11 Pro Max too and I barely noticed a little click when pressing apple logo. It seems to be normal after some research.

Why do you say it’s normal?

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I really can’t understand why people is looking for non existent issues ?...
I don’t think it’s not an issue. Each time I put the phone on my ear, I can hear the click coming from the back. Actually, it sounds like a spark going off from inside. I feel uneasy and I don’t think a 1000 dollar phone should be doing this.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I don’t think it’s not an issue. Each time I put the phone on my ear, I can hear the click coming from the back. Actually, it sounds like a spark going off from inside. I feel uneasy and I don’t think a 1000 dollar phone should be doing this.
There is nothing whining or whistling on my iPhone...
BTW I don’t think it is normal to presso or twist a phone looking for “sounds”.
If you are not happy about your iPhone, take it back to Apple.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
There is nothing whining or whistling on my iPhone...
BTW I don’t think it is normal to presso or twist a phone looking for “sounds”.
If you are not happy about your iPhone, take it back to Apple.
I am not twisting the phone to “hear” the sound ? I don’t know why you need to argue. I noticed the click in normal use (taking the phone out of pocket, putting it on your ear, cleaning the phone with a cloth etc. The click is caused by applied very little pressure on it. I do not have the time to bring it up to Apple, as otherwise it’s functioning as expected. I just don’t think this is normal.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
On my 3rd Xs max (2 replaced under warranty for earpiece issues. The other I purchased after impulsive decision to buy an s10+)

All 3 made the clicking/pop sound when pressing around the Apple logo. It’s a non issue as far as I’m concerned. Nothing is broken & performance is unaffecte. If you say you don’t have the click then chances are you’ll hear it sooner or later, especially if your prone to installing/removing tight cases etc..everyday flexing will eventually result in a click sound although mine was evident from day one on 3 of my max. Without exaggeration it kinda made me comfortable in the knowledge that the click was “normal” because 3 new devices couldn’t all be affected with the same issue..right? In the end I’ve accepted that it’s normal and nothing to be concerned with.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The only way I hear it is if I firmly press on each side (making a C with my fingers). Means with normal use I never hear it. The sound has been evident on my 8+, Xs Max, and 11 Pro Max only when doing the C motion and pinching on a certain point upper-mid glass.

I would venture to guess if you're getting a clicking with just pressing on one side, that's a defect.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I am not twisting the phone to “hear” the sound ? I don’t know why you need to argue. I noticed the click in normal use (taking the phone out of pocket, putting it on your ear, cleaning the phone with a cloth etc. The click is caused by applied very little pressure on it. I do not have the time to bring it up to Apple, as otherwise it’s functioning as expected. I just don’t think this is normal.
If you think this is not normal and you do notice it during normal use (I don’t press the back of my iPhone during “normal usage” ...), you should return the unit to Apple.
Because mine doesn’t have anything similar.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
If you think this is not normal and you do notice it during normal use (I don’t press the back of my iPhone during “normal usage” ...), you should return the unit to Apple.
Because mine doesn’t have anything similar.
I am glad and happy for you. That’s how I would expect a phone to behave :) at least, an iPhone.

Goddessitsliano4

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2016
I have the exact issue but on the smaller 11 pro. It makes a clicking noise, as if a spark is going off inside when pressed in the middle or twist it very gently. I can also hear the phone whistling and whining when I put it close to my ear. This is the first time I can “hear” a phone working... I hope this is normal and not a sign of something terrible going on inside. I wonder if I should get it checked at an Apple store.

so the smaller iPhone 11 Pro has the same click noises???? My pro Max has click noises on the sides if I apply small pressure and on the logo it’s very annoying and disappointing. I was thinking to exchange it for the smaller version because I figured it was just a max thing.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
so the smaller iPhone 11 Pro has the same click noises???? My pro Max has click noises on the sides if I apply small pressure and on the logo it’s very annoying and disappointing. I was thinking to exchange it for the smaller version because I figured it was just a max thing.

Mine does. But I believe it’s much less common on the smaller ones so you’ll have better chance with the small one.

BWaffle

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
It may be a late response, but my ip 11 has exactly the same problem. Other than that, everything works like a breeze. I called Apple and they told me to take take it to one of the certified outlets (there are no official Apple Stores in my country) where they'd fix it under warranty. But I don't want them to open the phone and mess up its water and dust resistance just because of the "clicking" sound. I"ve decided to live with this annoying defect.

Shark9

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2020
My 11 Pro (non Max) also has this issue. I’ve considered returning it under AppleCare but have heard the replacements tend to have the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.