Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Could Ship With New Braided USB-C to Lightning Cable

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Lighting is a no sale at this point. While it is nice they are including a potentially higher quality cable, there is no upgrade there until it is a type-c connector. I'll stick to my X until lightning is dropped and there is a major change to the screen.

Can you os someone explain me what is the great deal with usb type c on a smartphone? I get it it is superb on a tablet, I connect all sorts of things to my iPad Pro (drone, mirrorless sonny camera, external storage) but none of that ever on an iPhone. I also get it that is is universal charger for other smartphones (non iPhones) but I almost never charge by cable. So I am trying to find outwhat other people are finding fascinating with usb c on a smartphone that I seem to be missing out.

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Lightning to usb-C because „everyone already has plenty of iPhone chargers“ yet those wouldn’t work with this cable. Hmmm 🤔

I assume Apple want clueless user to bought their newer 20W charger separately…

Exception if some lucky user already have powerful type-c charger from another device, or using MacBook bricks maybe…

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
Ugh, I can already see it, Pros get braided cables and plebs get fraying rubber ones.

Or a less pessimistic guess, perhaps Pros get black braided cables (like the Mac Pro) and the great unwashed get white braided cables?

jlc1978

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2009
The camera connection is indeed SD which is mostly just consumer cameras. Pro cameras where on a mix of CF, CFast, and XQD. These are now all exclusively CF Express. Then even if there was a lightning to USB-C adaptor, that would add an adaptor when they could just push one port.

The other grip I have with lightning is we have to have a separate charge cable for that one device. I can charge my iPad Pro, cameras, and MacBook Pro with one cable that also acts as a high speed data cable when I need to dump files and don’t have a reader with me.

I hear you and get you don't want one more thing in your gadget bag. I think the issue with Apple is they don't consider the iPhone a pro tool, and thus see no reason to switch to USB-C. The iPad seems to be the solution they push for someone who wants a tool to upload and possible edit in the field.

Would I mind a USB-c iPhone? No, just don't see it happening.

My solution was to load up on CF cards and hope nothing goes wrong before I upload the files.

Jar Jar Abrams

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2018
The braided cord on the homepod is great, no one invented these..well someone did once upon a time, they’ve been around on appliances Irons, kettles for a hundred years, good Apple is using them, still using lightning in 2020 iPhones is odd, I guess you can stream 4K video from the new iPhones to AppleTV etc but if you wanted to plug a new iPhone into a a 4K tv with apples digital AV dongle then you’re only going to get 1080P whereas the iPad Pro with USBC you couple connect to a 4K tv via a dongle and get a 4K output so it’s a bummer but I guess Apple is waiting for USB4 to become the norm too late in the game to make the iPhone USBC now only to have USB4 come out on 2021 and people livid they bought the slower connection last year and their cables wont work although they’re the same connector, I think Apple will probably have one connector on all of its devices eventually and that will be Thunderbolt4 on macs, iPads and iPhones and with the AppleTV remote, magic keyboards etc maybe they’ll hold onto lightning.....

bernoulli

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
England
Lighting is a no sale at this point. While it is nice they are including a potentially higher quality cable, there is no upgrade there until it is a type-c connector. I'll stick to my X until lightning is dropped and there is a major change to the screen.

having owned numerous usb type c devices over the last few years, i find the fact that the connection gets looser over time is concerning. it’s not even being plugged in and our as frequent as I would use for charging the iphone on daily basis.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I think Apple will probably have one connector on all of its devices eventually and that will be Thunderbolt4 on macs, iPads and iPhones and with the AppleTV remote, magic keyboards etc maybe they’ll hold onto lightning.....

Thunderbolt AND lightning?
Very very frightening...

jlc1978

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2009
iPad Pro, Macbooks, iPhone chargers... all those are USB C.
Except cheap 2.0 implementations of type C which should be ditched aswell, USB C has higher data transfer, is universal, and will work everywhere. A new iPhone with Lighting? It brings nothing useful compared to USB C. Why not just ditch it already? It's not like it requires a lot of engineering to do it: if a single cable can have both ends, just changing the same traces in the PCB is trivial.

To me, the question is not does USB-C have advantages over lightening, but rather "Does Apple believe those advantages are useful for the average iPhone customer?" I think the answer is no, for a number of reaons:

1. Most users probably do not use the wired connection for any reason beyond backup or transfer photos/music; and Apple already pushes the cloud for backup and synching. Even those who do use a wired connection probably do it infrequently enough that faster speed would not be noticed, especially if they do it overnight when not using the phone.
2. Customer probably already have a number of lightning cables at various locations for charging; such as car / rooms in house where they likely spend time, etc. USB-C would require a new investment in cables if they ditch lightning.
3. USB-C to lightning cables are already available if someone wants to carry one less charger.
4. Apple controls certification, so as long as a customer buys a certified cable they will have a consistent experience; whereas with USB-C they cannot ensure a cable will work properly. Sure they can certify USB cables but will customers pay a premium or companies pay for certification? I doubt it.

There has been no significant demand for USB-C in iPhones, and wireless is more likely the future path, so why switch connectors before you ditch the port entirely?
[automerge]1594802398[/automerge]
5 what?
[automerge]1594770760[/automerge]

Yes, but it'll probably stop working after 6 months.
Isn't Mercedes's the Best or Nothing standard to ensure nothing works six months after warranty ends? the M in MB stands for money, which is what dealers make on out of warranty repairs...
[automerge]1594802605[/automerge]
I guess you can stream 4K video from the new iPhones to AppleTV etc but if you wanted to plug a new iPhone into a a 4K tv with apples digital AV dongle then you’re only going to get 1080P whereas the iPad Pro with USBC you couple connect to a 4K tv via a dongle and get a 4K output

I doubt Apple wants users with iPhones to forgo buying an ATV in favor of a dongle for 4K.

Last edited:

dwaite

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
What about customers who bought iPhone 11 and only got a power adaptor with USB A? What then?

Unless I’m missing something, you can’t plug USB C into USB A and make it work

Use your existing charger and cable? The new cable doesn't really have a benefit without a USB-C computer port (for faster sync) or USB-C PD charger (for faster charge)

ruka.snow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2017
Can you os someone explain me what is the great deal with usb type c on a smartphone? I get it it is superb on a tablet, I connect all sorts of things to my iPad Pro (drone, mirrorless sonny camera, external storage) but none of that ever on an iPhone. I also get it that is is universal charger for other smartphones (non iPhones) but I almost never charge by cable. So I am trying to find outwhat other people are finding fascinating with usb c on a smartphone that I seem to be missing out.

for the same reason it is great on a tablet. Your phone has a lot of storage on it and can even have Lightroom. What better than being out in the field and with just one cable you can connect your camera to a iPad Pro or a iPhone pro and get images up on the web as soon as you take them. Or if you are editing a video you can now just plug your phone into a 30 inch screen.

Or let’s take it down to the average person, you are sitting on the couch with your MacBook on your lap while watching TV and realise your phone is running low. So you just take that cable out of your laptop and plug it into your phone and you didn’t need to get up and find that one special cable your phone needs.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
for the same reason it is great on a tablet. Your phone has a lot of storage on it and can even have Lightroom. What better than being out in the field and with just one cable you can connect your camera to a iPad Pro or a iPhone pro and get images up on the web as soon as you take them. Or if you are editing a video you can now just plug your phone into a 30 inch screen.

Or let’s take it down to the average person, you are sitting on the couch with your MacBook on your lap while watching TV and realise your phone is running low. So you just take that cable out of your laptop and plug it into your phone and you didn’t need to get up and find that one special cable your phone needs.

For starters, I realize not everyone uses the phones the same and what applies to me, doesn't to everybody else. So, even though I have quite a few gadgets (cameras, drone, external storage, sd cards, etc) I have an iPad for all these. And even if I wanted my Sony photos to be transferred directly to the iPhone, I can use the app. I do not have to plug a phone into a screen to edit video when the screen happens to have Mac OS with FCPX installed on it for video editing.

As for the charging bit.... never found myself in that situation. I put my phone every night before bed on the charging mat with the remaining battery more than 40% and pick it up the following morning with zero worries of running out of battery since there is a charging mat at my work desk also, just in case. They are dirt cheap nowadays. So for what I care, Apple can remove the port altogether. The only use I have currently for the lighting port is when I use my iPhone connected to the DJI remote. But I am sure there would be workarounds if Apple did remove it (and I am sure they will)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
One where the cheap insulation doesn't disintegrate completely near the connector after a year? Would be great.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, cuz’ you know, no one has multiple adapters laying around their house or Could easily purchase one for a few dollars at the most. How inconvenient.😁
While i see your point. For $1000 Apple can include a charging block. I’m sorry this reeks of cheapness and greed.

This has ZERO to do with being conscious of the environment and all about money. I have no doubt that if iPhone sales dropped off, the charger would be back quickly. The hell with the environment.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
While i see your point. For $1000 Apple can include a charging block. I’m sorry this reeks of cheapness and greed.

This has ZERO to do with being conscious of the environment and all about money. I have no doubt that if iPhone sales dropped off, the charger would be back quickly. The hell with the environment.
And why has Samsung stated they are not including a charger in a future model?

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013

Not everyone has an iPad. They use their phone for most everything
[automerge]1594812950[/automerge]
And why has Samsung stated they are not including a charger in a future model?
Because they got whiff of apple doing it and said me too. Let’s save some money. But who cares. Talking about iPhones here not Samsung. Why always compare to Samsung.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Because they got whiff of apple doing it and said me too. Let’s save some money. But who cares. Talking about iPhones here not Samsung. Why always compare to Samsung.
Discussing, imo, the start of an industry trend. You'll buy your own charger. Want a 5w? They can be had for the cheap. Want a 20w? A little more expensive.

It's a technical luddite who wants a new phone and who doesn't already have:
- a computer with a usb
- any chargeable usb device at all
- any power brick at all
(even my b/t Sony boom box has a usb-a port for charging usb accessories)

Hopefully Apple has made some arrangement for newbies who fall into the above "luddite" category.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Discussing, imo, the start of an industry trend. You'll buy your own charger. Want a 5w? They can be had for the cheap. Want a 20w? A little more expensive.

It's a technical luddite who wants a new phone and who doesn't already have:
- a computer with a usb
- any chargeable usb device at all
- any power brick at all

Hopefully Apple has made some arrangement for newbies who fall into the above "luddite" category.

I hope so. Everyone who doesn’t have a 18 watt charger should get a free one.

Reactions: I7guy

ruka.snow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2017
For starters, I realize not everyone uses the phones the same and what applies to me, doesn't to everybody else. So, even though I have quite a few gadgets (cameras, drone, external storage, sd cards, etc) I have an iPad for all these. And even if I wanted my Sony photos to be transferred directly to the iPhone, I can use the app. I do not have to plug a phone into a screen to edit video when the screen happens to have Mac OS with FCPX installed on it for video editing.

As for the charging bit.... never found myself in that situation. I put my phone every night before bed on the charging mat with the remaining battery more than 40% and pick it up the following morning with zero worries of running out of battery since there is a charging mat at my work desk also, just in case. They are dirt cheap nowadays. So for what I care, Apple can remove the port altogether. The only use I have currently for the lighting port is when I use my iPhone connected to the DJI remote. But I am sure there would be workarounds if Apple did remove it (and I am sure they will)

I am happy enough for the port to be removed, but if they must have a port it would be nice that it was universal with everything else. Again I can even charge my Nikon Z6 with USB-C and my game controllers. And if it is being a iPhone pro, give it pro features. Let it have USB-C that I can plug a HMDI input, connect it to a camera, and use my iPhone as a remote screen. Ditching lightning for USB-C opens up a whole world of applications. Even just putting in my USB-C thumb drive to get a bit file of it or on it.

ksec

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Serious Question

Why braided Cables? Are they more durable? Possibly, but my experience is that it is not the cable in itself that is the problem, it is the part that is close to the connector, where most of the bent and force are exerted. So again, why? I doubt it is cheaper either.

Not to mention it is a dust magnet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.