iPhone 12 Dummy Unit Images Feature iPad Pro-Style Design

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Leaker Sonny Dickson has today shared several images depicting what he claims are dummy units of Apple's upcoming iPhone 12 lineup.

Images of iPhone dummy units usually appear every year, just a few months ahead of Apple's usual September-October launch timeframe. They are usually based on CAD schematics sourced from the Chinese supply chain, much like the molds leaked last week. Such dummies are often used to aid case-makers before the official reveal.

The images mostly conform with details we already know, with the device sporting an iPad Pro-style design with flat edges. Apple is expected to launch four iPhones this year, across three sizes of 5.4, 6.1, and 6.7 inches. Dickson's images give a clear comparison of the three new sizes.

The camera setups, however, do not mirror what is expected. Previous leaks have largely agreed that the two iPhone 12 models in 5.4 and 6.1 inches will have dual camera setups, while the two iPhone 12 Pro models in 6.1 and 6.7 inches will have triple camera setups. It is also of note that the dummies are missing the LiDAR scanner, expected on at least the 6.7 inch model.

Dickson cautions that the notch and camera layouts in these images should not be heavily relied upon. The are believed to offer clear depictions of what the upcoming chassis design may look like across the various new sizes.

Dickson has been known to leak dummy models in the past, such as of the 2020 iPad Pro refresh. He most recently suggested that WWDC will see the announcement of a new iMac with iPad Pro design language and thinner bezels.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Dummy Unit Images Feature iPad Pro-Style Design

Last edited:

jonblatho

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
Not totally loving the polished sides, but dummy units are well-known for getting minor details like that wrong. Wish they’d go bead-blasted like the iPhone 4/4s to help conceal the inevitable fingerprints.

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
If they do not add the LiDAR sensor I see less of a reason to upgrade. 5G is not a selling point for most people, Promotion, another touted new feature is virtually unknown to users outside of the tech community.

The only thing I see going for it here is the boxy 4-esque design we have been wishing for years and the size options.

Those phones look dated. Curved edges for the win.
I have never understood the fascination with curved edges, I disliked them so much! at least Apple did not take it to the extreme as some Samsung devices that were absurdly curved.

That looks really bad - and also too thick.
Too thick? I would make them even 1 mm thicker if that meant more battery life and less of a camera bump. Bring them thic iPhones!

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
If they do not add the LiDAR sensor I see less of a reason to upgrade.
Some models will obviously have LIDAR. And commenting on reasons to upgrade before any announcement of features is silly and counter-productive. For all you know it prints money and cures cancer. Whereas the LIDAR has no real use so far on iPad. Wait and see before drawing conclusions.

Reactions: CarlJ

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I think they are fake again, since the smaller one should not have 3 cameras like the pro models

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
A large iPhone 4 design may be cumbersome to hold. I’ll have to wait and see if I like it. I’m going to hold off for the S version regardless. Still loving my XS Max, and it’s fully paid off.

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
As the original post said (and i think macrumors’ summary as well), the cameras and the notches are known to be probably wrong.
yes, like other said also the notch can be wrong, the cameras layout...so we are left with just a flat edge design, the rest is still unknown

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Some models will obviously have LIDAR. And commenting on reasons to upgrade before any announcement of features is silly and counter-productive. For all you know it prints money and cures cancer. Whereas the LIDAR has no real use so far on iPad. Wait and see before drawing conclusions.
Yes there are not many applications taking full advantage of the LiDAR sensor on the iPad right now, but there will be, it is just a matter of time and adding it to the iPhone will just make it even more attractive to developers. Currently there is a few videos on YouTube showing some difference in accuracy of the measure app and also on the positioning of 3D objects on images and videos.

I am most excited about LiDAR mainly because of my line of work, I use it all the time for Topography and to visualize projects in real-time, it is amazing, and I can't wait to see what I can do with it from my phone.

AlexESP

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
Too thick? I would make them even 1 mm thicker if that meant more battery life and less of a camera bump. Bring them thic iPhones!
The iPhone 11s are the thickest iPhones in many years. But they don’t feel as thick because of rounded edges - in fact, Apple explained that it’s why they moved away from sharp edges.

I’m not really convinced by the idea of returning to them AND add thickness. You’re talking about 1mm, that’s more than 10%. It makes a differences in the hand.

We’re not in the times of the iPhone 4, where 9,3mm could be comfortable for a 3,5 inch display. Now we’re talking about much bigger displays.

Reactions: SEmAN and jacks64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.