iPhone 12 Lineup Rumored to Feature All-New Navy Blue Color Option

Quicksilver867

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Columbus
I definitely dig the color, but there’s a fundamental problem with colors on iPhone: almost everyone uses a case, which covers the color anyway. The phones are so thin and fragile, most people don’t have much of an option.

I’m almost thinking that Apple should just stop offering multiple colors. Just streamline it down to a neutral color and double-down on first-party cases, sold as some kind of a combo. I’m sure there are many people who would gladly pay a premium for a truly superior case, plus this would cut down on the “WTF, IT’S MADE OF GLASS” jokes.
Big disagree. A lot of people, even if foolishly, don't use cases. Still others use clear cases. There will always be a 'case' for the colorful iPhone. Fun pun.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Do you think we could get a real update to the iPhone instead of these insignificant micro updates? Or has our beloved iPhone plateaued?
Smart phones plateaued a while ago. If you want big sweeping changes you will have to find something else to follow now. What would you consider a "real" update?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
That's a nice color blue, but that's not Navy Blue. It's too light.
Ok? But ‘midnight green’ doesn’t look midnight to me either. We don’t know what Apple will call this color, but everybody’s perception of a color might be slightly different from your own.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68000
Dec 28, 2009
Can we get it with no notch and a home button please??? Yes, people still like the home button and touch id.

Wanted797

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Pastels? lol no offense but those colors aren’t pastel, they’re much too saturated. Pastels are soft, pale colors with a lot of white.

But maybe it’s a geographic difference, I note you’re in Australia 🙂

What we call pastel in the States 😂

View attachment 890131
We are the same.

I like the iPod colour. The newer pastel colours are horrible.

I worded my comment poorly.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickUrPoison

jhulgan

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
AL
I honestly don’t care what color they make it as long as they change to the iPad Pro/iPhone 4-5 squared off edges and finally reduce that ugly notch.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
We are the same.

I like the iPod colour. The newer pastel colours are horrible.

I worded my comment poorly.
Gotcha. Actually I read it poorly 🙂 I didn’t process the “yeah” where you were agreeing you missed the iPod colors 😬

Maybe this is the year for some brighter colors.

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
the iPad not having a calculator app is beyond ridiculous at this point... what's the logic in shortchanging it?
Somebody inside Apple wants to give third-party (calculator) developers a small leg-up? I think the number of people that would like to have a calculator app on their iPad and don’t know how to get a third-party one is very small.
- - Post merged: - -

Seriously at this point it’s just lazy on Apple’s part to not have a native calculator app on iPad. Who knows it might be the next big feature in iPadOS 14 similar to external drive support in Files.
There is a big difference between an Apple-designed iPad calculator app and external drive support: Third-party developers can substitute the need for the former 100%, but not at all the latter.

FreddyJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
Ireland
Navy blue would be great. Anyone know when the 12 is due out? I still considering what, when and where to upgrade to! lol. My partner went for the iPhone 11 which she's going to switch to over the weekend so I will see how that goes I guess.

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
It's foolish to take the risk anyway. Like driving with no insurance.
Some people like to be insured against everything. Others are fine with assuming some smaller risks if that brings other benefits. A couple of examples:
- Travel cancellation expenses insurance
- Real glass or polymer in your eyeglasses (the former can break, the latter scratches more easily)
- Car bras
- Wearing gloves all the time (protects you against injuring your hand to a certain degree, depending on the type of glove)
- Wearing a helmet as a pedestrian (pedestrians do get hit by cars and a helmet can mitigate the risk of injury at least some of the time)

Would you say it is foolish to take the risk by not wearing a helmet as a pedestrian?

Whether a risk is worth taking is, on the one hand, a financial calculation (how likely is it that the risk will materialize vs how much does insuring against it cost be). On the other hand, it is a psychological decision of how much peace of mind I get by protecting myself against the risk vs how much does paying for and/or living with the side-effects that risk mitigation incurs bothers me.

I'd say what really is foolish: "Assuming you know for sure how high the risk of me dropping my phone and damaging it is. Or even more importantly, how much using a case bothers me vs how much having to pay for a new screen once in a blue moon bothers me."

Reactions: Quicksilver867

Quicksilver867

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Columbus
Some people like to be insured against everything. Others are fine with assuming some smaller risks if that brings other benefits. A couple of examples:
- Travel cancellation expenses insurance
- Real glass or polymer in your eyeglasses (the former can break, the latter scratches more easily)
- Car bras
- Wearing gloves all the time (protects you against injuring your hand to a certain degree, depending on the type of glove)
- Wearing a helmet as a pedestrian (pedestrians do get hit by cars and a helmet can mitigate the risk of injury at least some of the time)

Would you say it is foolish to take the risk by not wearing a helmet as a pedestrian?

Whether a risk is worth taking is, on the one hand, a financial calculation (how likely is it that the risk will materialize vs how much does insuring against it cost be). On the other hand, it is a psychological decision of how much peace of mind I get by protecting myself against the risk vs how much does paying for and/or living with the side-effects that risk mitigation incurs bothers me.

I'd say what really is foolish: "Assuming you know for sure how high the risk of me dropping my phone and damaging it is. Or even more importantly, how much using a case bothers me vs how much having to pay for a new screen once in a blue moon bothers me."
You won your internet argument; enjoy your weekend 😘

Seanm87

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
You answered your own question. When you create ‘Clickbait videos’ like he does, of course he’s going to generate views. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a following, but he’s definitely not a legitimate source for anything. And for the record, I acknowledged some of his reviews are good, but the majority of his videos have the stature of someone that cares more about ‘ad revenue’ then putting out a quality video in terms of some of these other Apple followers.
you have to remember most people don’t go on sites like this so it’s all new info for them in one place when he reports it. And to his credit he always quotes his source so he’s not claiming credit.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
you have to remember most people don’t go on sites like this so it’s all new info for them in one place when he reports it. And to his credit he always quotes his source so he’s not claiming credit.
That’s true, he does quote his sources for the most part. But what he does to play a trick, is he’ll put something in the tagline for the video that makes it appear that he has a potential leak from Apple, when it’s _not_ his findings, it’s someone else’s. Which goes back to my original point, he creates Clickbait videos to gain views, which that’s one example that I provided. He might be able to outsmart ‘basic viewers’, but not someone like myself/others who sees right through his antics that follow Apple regularly and tech related topics in general.

Last edited:

Jeremy Mathers

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
I use a case but when I go home I take it off to admire the phone and am just careful with it, although I’m not very active so that helps. I like using it naked but don’t wanna risk it when I’m outside the house. So the case argument is kind of mute.