Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You mean like with my beloved 12” MacBook?

I think the writing is on the wall for the iPhone mini.
No just nope.

that 2019 MacBook 12” with just 1 thunderbolt port, and GARBAGE intel m processors ... was TRULY overpriced! Underpowered. Trying to be a new MBA (hence the exact same design just better) when it really shouldn’t be.

that wasn’t Apple lever estimating that was a horrible engineering and sales mistake. The 12 mini doesn’t share any of those issues - price is a only being talked about due to iPhone 11, Xr, 8 and SE still being sold to empty stockpile that didn’t cleanse out in 2019/2020 early enough.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Was too expensive, below average battery and no telephoto lense. What do you expect?!
Yeah, my wife has the 12 and lack of telephoto lens ruins it for me. Why, so they can include a distorted wide angle?

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
I'd bet 90% of the iPhone 12 users don't know what most of the features are on the phone. OIS? RAW? f-stop?

Exactly. They simply want the new shiny.
And they don’t use anything but the 1x lens, and they complain it’s heavy.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Like many have said, and even though people still try and debate it, the Mini is just flat out too expensive. Apple overpriced the phone thinking the novelty would blind people's eyes from it. They were wrong. I guarantee if the phone was $100 cheaper it's on this list and a run away success.
Honestly, they could have saved money with a single lens, no OLED, and a few other tweaks, and buyers wouldn’t have noticed. Then again, maybe the battery life gets worse?

• Disagree
Reactions: tunastink

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow, that Palm Shutter (delayed trigger) is really cool !

Just stumbled across it on the Mi website.

Does Apple have anything similar ?

Anybody ? ... thanks in advance.

ridiculous software implementation when a) everyone came say wait u too ready (essentially what they’re all doing in the Palm Shutter delayed capture any way), b) just use the timer or c) the camera operator of the phone can just say every say “cheese”. All these work without bugs nor crippled by any software updates and tried and tested.

what happens when anyone with that feature you mentioned is putting up their hands or waving to be taken IN the photo on purpose? No pick.
Your welcome.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Actually, I think will still produce it, but maybe even reduce the price in the future like they did with the iPhone XR just to boost the attractiveness. But I don’t see this phone in Apples line up probably more than three years with refreshes.

yet since the iPhone 5c iPhone 5s we have the SE 2 years later we have the SE 2to one year after that we have a mini soooo? Hmm

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Why why why is this story necessary?
Apparently click bait to beat up on the dead horse.
How many ways can you complain about sales of the iPhone 12 mini?

An alternative headline could have been, “iPhone 12 mini makes top 10 list!”

JasonFromAus

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
I really hope Apple doesn’t stop making the mini. I’m planning to upgrade my 11 Pro this year to the 13 Mini or whatever they call it.
Same here. I prefer the smaller size to carry around and use my iPad for things that require a bigger screen.

Reactions: snipr125

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
Mmm... if Apple were thinking of getting rid of the Mini due to these figures, what are Samsung going to do with their S and Note line ups? Likewise Google and their phones. The mini outsold all of them.

Looking at the iPhone 11 (cheap) and SE (cheap and small), it looks like Apple's fragmentation is what is "hurting" sales. If outselling all your rivals devices apart from a couple of exceptions can be classed as a bad thing.

Reactions: bandrews

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
No just nope.

that 2019 MacBook 12” with just 1 thunderbolt port, and GARBAGE intel m processors ... was TRULY overpriced! Underpowered. Trying to be a new MBA (hence the exact same design just better) when it really shouldn’t be.

that wasn’t Apple lever estimating that was a horrible engineering and sales mistake. The 12 mini doesn’t share any of those issues - price is a only being talked about due to iPhone 11, Xr, 8 and SE still being sold to empty stockpile that didn’t cleanse out in 2019/2020 early enough.
"That iPhone 12 mini with that GARBAGE battery and much smaller screen for just $100 less... is TRULY overpriced!"

Anyhow, the bottom line is that it vastly underperformed in terms of sales expectations.

Personally, I liked the MacBook 12" a heluvalot more than the iPhone 12 mini, but I was not foolish enough to believe that my individual personal preference for that 12" MacBook design was going save it.

BTW, my carriers up here in Kanuckistan aren't helping the mini's cause. Some are charging just CAD$84 less for the mini, which translates to US$67. At that price differential, the mini is pointless for 98% of the population.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Pretty sure Macrumors is not as emotionally invested in the iPhone 12 Mini as you apparently are. They're just reporting information.
No, they aren’t “just reporting information”. If they were they wouldn’t have focused only on the iPhone 12 mini or chosen to frame the information in the most negative way they possibly could. Compare to 9 to 5 Mac who headlined their post on the same report by pointing out that iPhones occupy 6 of the top 10 spots. THAT is reporting all the information in an unbiased manner.

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
I really don't get the negative news about the mini that keeps going round. The mini sells more than almost every single Samsung phone. It is doing really well! If one wants to compare to other Apple phones that are doing better, that is not a fair comparison. Most people prefer the bigger screens, but there is definitely a market for these smaller phones. This market is big enough for Apple to continue with the mini, even if it won't sell more than the other models.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"That iPhone 12 mini with that GARBAGE battery and much smaller screen for just $100 less... is TRULY overpriced!"

Anyhow, the bottom line is that it vastly underperformed in terms of sales expectations.

Personally, I liked the MacBook 12" a heluvalot more than the iPhone 12 mini, but I was not foolish enough to believe that my individual personal preference for that 12" MacBook design was going save it.

BTW, my carriers up here in Kanuckistan aren't helping the mini's cause. Some are charging just CAD$84 less for the mini, which translates to US$67. At that price differential, the mini is pointless for 98% of the

sorry but no the bottom line is you’re trying to compare a crappy laptop that was severely overpriced did not have the specs or power to match was already out there versus an iPhone that is just smaller in size but has the same power as the model cell slightly better than it that’s the major difference they’re not the same comparison, although trays is you might make it out to be.

beyond the physical screen size itself allowing you to see a few pixels or items more on the iPhone 12, the 12 mini actually does everything the same, save for 2hrs less operating time, yet has higher pixels per inch.

people here comp,aiming about it seem to think it should’ve been priced significantly lower yet it’s NOT iPhone XR or an SE device or other budget unit. It has the same physical cup and co cou as the entire lineup. Other than batter and camera differences the same feature set SHOULD be available yet Apple doesn’t play that way. They might on the 13 mini.

during the 12 mini announcement, it was no coincidence apple played James Bond theme song - it was a jab at Sony (both Sony Pictures and Sony Mobile divisions): mobile as Sony just 14mths prior stopped making their Comoact lineup which like the 12 mini had the exact same hardware save for the screen dimensions and pixels and camera tech as their top of the line phones they did this for almost a decade.

the 2019 MacBook looked nice to as well yet I’ll bet like myself you did NOT purchase it as well, not solely for the price but that was THE major factor.

like you said different tastes n preferences in the 12 mini which is fine - yet pricing and a decision of 1 camera seems to be the major holdup of some who were really ready to put their money where their mouth is vs people that never would’ve purchased the 12 mini yet just complain anyway.

I bought it putting money where my mouth is and I enjoy it fully. Battery lasts me close to 8 hrs. Not long ago my iPhone 8, 7 and any iPhone before that could never achieve that.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

BTW, my carriers up here in Kanuckistan aren't helping the mini's cause. Some are charging just CAD$84 less for the mini, which translates to US$67. At that price differential, the mini is pointless for 98% of the population.
EugW, from your posts its quite clear that you have a serious disdain for the Iphone 12 Mini for some reason. I'm just curious, but did you buy one and not like it, do you just not like the whole concept of a compact premium iphone or is there another reason?

Reactions: dmelgar

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
EugW, from your posts its quite clear that you have a serious disdain for the Iphone 12 Mini for some reason. I'm just curious, but did you buy one and not like it, do you just not like the whole concept of a compact premium iphone or is there another reason?
No, I do not have disdain for the phone at all. Anyone thinking that, like you, is just projecting his or her biases into this. I just didn’t think it would be popular. And it isn’t, by Apple’s own standards, considering they have had to slash its manufacturing so drastically.

One doesn’t have to hate a product to know that a product is in a very precarious position. I used the MacBook as an example because it was my favourite form factor, yet I also knew it was a hard sell.

I suppose they could save the mini but dropping the price significantly, but I don’t see them doing that.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
No, I do not have disdain for the phone at all. Anyone thinking that, like you, is just projecting his or her biases into this. I just didn’t think it would be popular. And it isn’t, by Apple’s own standards, considering they have had to slash its manufacturing so drastically.

One doesn’t have to hate a product to know that a product is in a very precarious position. I used the MacBook as an example because it was my favourite form factor, yet I also knew it was a hard sell.

I suppose they could save the mini but dropping the price significantly, but I don’t see them doing that.
Ok that's fair enough. In regards to the price though, its a hard one because the 12 Mini has all the same premium features as the rest of the 12 family (A14, 1080p OLED XDR display, Ceramic shield, Face ID, 5G, Night mode etc), but i reckon £650 would have been the sweet spot, then it would be £150 less than the 12.

Judging by rumours, there will be a Iphone 13 Mini, so it will be very interesting to see how it sells outside of the pandemic when people can actually go into stores and try it out. Either way for the compact phone appreciators like myself, there will always be a smaller iphone option available going by the iphones history (Original iphone, 4, 5, 6, 6s, SE, 7, 8, X, XS, 11 Pro, SE2 and now the 12 mini).

Reactions: dmelgar and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Ok that's fair enough. In regards to the price though, its a hard one because the 12 Mini has all the same premium features as the rest of the 12 family (A14, 1080p OLED XDR display, Ceramic shield, Face ID, 5G, Night mode etc), but i reckon £650 would have been the sweet spot, then it would be £150 less than the 12.

Judging by rumours, there will be a Iphone 13 Mini, so it will be very interesting to see how it sells outside of the pandemic when people can actually go into stores and try it out. Either way for the compact phone appreciators like myself, there will always be a smaller iphone option available going by the iphones history (Original iphone, 4, 5, 6, 6s, SE, 7, 8, X, XS, 11 Pro, SE2 and now the 12 mini).
Yes, I think there will be a 13 mini. I don’t know about a 14 mini though.

BTW, I have an SE in my collection. Still runs fine but I think the days of its form factor are long gone. The screen real estate is too small for effective navigation for some apps, for the mainstream. I have already repurposed not only our obsolete iPhone 5 as an iPod and in-home AirPlay streamer, but have also done the same with our SE.

The mini’s size is fine though for navigation. We have a 6s and it’s fine for OS usage, and much better than the SE, even though they have similar internals.

The ironic part of all of this is back in 2018 when Apple released the XR, I predicted Apple would release a mini. However I got the timing and some of the specs wrong. I predicted 2019 with LCD screen. Why did I predict this? Because of the math. The XR was not a cut down version of the iPhone XS. No, it was actually a step up in terms of screen real estate and as such actually had the zoom display feature the XS lacked. The XR was a smaller twin of the XS Max, but the XS had no such smaller twin. So I predicted Apple would release an iPhone 11 mini with LCD screen.

Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.