Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week a proven leaker claimed that the iPhone 12 lineup would be named "iPhone 12 mini," "iPhone 12," "iPhone 12 Pro," and "iPhone 12 Pro Max," and today the same nomenclature has appeared again in a photo depicting alleged stickers from unreleased Silicone iPhone cases originating from Apple's international distribution center in Ireland.

iphone-12-silicone-case-stickers.jpg

The photo shows three stickers with the associated handset sizes written alongside them, corresponding to the three expected sizes of iPhone 12, with the 5.4-inch model being the "‌iPhone 12‌ mini," the 6.7-inch model being the ‌"iPhone 12‌ Pro Max," and the two 6.1-inch models being the ‌"iPhone 12‌ / ‌iPhone 12‌ Pro."

The color for all three Silicone cases is black, and the model numbers that can be clearly made out include "MHL732M/A" and "MHLG32M/A," neither of which Apple has used in the past.

The photo was shared by Twitter leaker DuanRui, who last month shared photos of an iPad Air pamphlet depicting an all-screen display that turned out to be authentic.

The naming of the "Pro" models follows the precedent established in previous years, and the speculated titles would be a logical naming system for the ‌iPhone 12‌ lineup. With four new iPhones expected in this year's lineup, the use of four different names would help to differentiate the models more easily.

The ‌iPhone 12‌ mini would be the first iPhone with the "mini" moniker, which has been seen on the iPad mini, Mac mini, and iPod mini. At 5.4-inches, the ‌iPhone 12‌ mini would be smaller than last year's smallest ‌iPhone, the iPhone 11 Pro‌, which is 5.8-inches.

Apple plans to introduce its new iPhones in October this year, perhaps on October 13, and start shipping them out later that month. Rumors have suggested we can expect a staggered release, and some models might not come out until November.

Article Link: 'iPhone 12 mini' Name Reappears in Leaked Apple iPhone 12 Case Stickers

Last edited:

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I've come to accept "pro" being used for everything with a higher than average price tag nowadays, but "mini" and "max" just don't sound good. I know it's just names and it doesn't matter, but what was so wrong with "plus" and "something-other-than-mini"?

The “Plus” branding was dropped because it’s a differentiator for the iPhone 6 to 8 Lineup

6“Plus” OIS
7 “Plus” telephoto camera

“max” represents the same feature set on a larger display and battery size and nothing much else

finally, “Mini”, at least for iPads, has premium feature sets relative to the entry-level even if smaller in size.

hopefully they don’t copy the long refresh cycle the iPad Mini was notorious for (maybe every 2 years and only to update internals and material build without burning R&D again)

guess which is smaller than the entry-level iPhone SE?

Last edited:

natteaap

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
No necessarily. iPad mini is pretty full spec compared to the regular iPad, in fact in has a slightly better (laminated) screen

I guess that is what Veinticino means. Form factor is mini in ipad but the rest is full fledged. But with mac it is form factor AND lower specs. And since you have SE in iPhone, the MINI here could be form factor with SE for lower specs.

the fact that we're debating this is proof that the clarity of the line up is long gone.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I've come to accept "pro" being used for everything with a higher than average price tag nowadays, but "mini" and "max" just don't sound good. I know it's just names and it doesn't matter, but what was so wrong with "plus" and "something-other-than-mini"?
What’s wrong with Pro and mini? Apple’s used them for a decade or two.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Actually, I do like the name Mini.
It makes total sense to have an iPhone 12 Mini and an iPhone 12. For the Pro we have the Max suffix, so you can't be wrong about the model you're referring to. For the "standard" iPhone having two sizes with the same name would be really confusing.
If it is smaller than the previous model, Mini is a great name.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
The middle sticker says “iPhone 12/12 Pro“, indicating the case would fit both those phones. So yes, the regular 12 still exists. They are both 6.1 inches.
if that case will fit both regular and the pro model....that means the pro models will not get slimmer bezels or any reduction
So every iphone 12 phones will have the todays Pro/Xs/X bezels...kind of sad...after no promotion, no smaller notch, no slimmer bezels..we get only the ironed edges and internals usual updates

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
interesting that the case would fit both iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 "Pro". I would expect the new redesign (iPad alike) would be saved for the Pro

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Actually, I do like the name Mini.
It makes total sense to have an iPhone 12 Mini and an iPhone 12. For the Pro we have the Max suffix, so you can't be wrong about the model you're referring to. For the "standard" iPhone having two sizes with the same name would be really confusing.
If it is smaller than the previous model, Mini is a great name.
Yup. Not only is the mini smaller than the 5.8, it’s also smaller than the SE 2020.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.