Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'iPhone 12 mini' Name Reappears in Leaked Apple iPhone 12 Case Stickers

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I had the original iPhone all the way up to the 5S. When the 6 came out, I hated the size (the ability to use my phone one-handed and have my thumb *easily* reach every part of the screen is paramount. I got the original SE when it came out and still use it to this day. I'm delighted they are finally releasing something "small" but I'm still worried it might be too big given that it's...yes...only a little larger than the 5/5S/SE...but all screen which may still make it cumbersome for one-handed / thumb use. Well see!
I’m more skeptical than you. I think the 5.4 will be almost impossible to use one-handed, though I really hope it is usable one-handed.

Most people’s thumb can reach a 3.5” distance, somewhat fewer 4.0”. But like you say, 4.7 is too big for many to use one-handed, which is the reason they came up with the Reachability feature.

While the 5.4 won’t be quite as wide as the 4.7, I don’t think that will enable most thumbs to negotiate a 5.4 diagonal screen without changing grips, which is tricky to do one-handed.

Comment

klasma

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
I’m more skeptical than you. I think the 5.4 will be almost impossible to use one-handed, though I really hope it is usable one-handed.
I‘m skeptical as well.

Another factor for me is the position of the power button. Having it on top makes it easier to press one-handed while still maintaining a firm grip on the phone, AND it is consistent with the position on the iPads. I doubt Apple has moved the button up again for the 12 mini though.

Comment

bb9

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2017
It will not have it, if the rumours are true. But better than the 8/SE camera. And for me that’s enough.
*sigh*, I can dream 🙂
But a mini flagship phone is something other do not have and can not afford to copy - could be a captured market! People in business suits or tight fitting dresses do not have room for a mini tablet phone. Me, my hands are too clumsy now and need something smaller. 😖

Comment

klasma

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
Does anyone remember that old video showing an iPhone that could be physically resized by a pinch-to-zoom gesture? (Can't find it right now.) We really need that technology. :D

Comment

OJK

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
*sigh*, I can dream 🙂
But a mini flagship phone is something other do not have and can not afford to copy - could be a captured market!
Sony had this. Was not successful unfortunately 😕 the majority of people want a big phone apparently 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: MartyvH
Comment

Scoob Redux

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
What debate? And my statements aren’t contradictory in the least. Why do you think mini and Pro have to have opposite meanings? That makes no sense at all. Were you thinking of mini and Max?

Pro has never meant anything but high end. Nothing at all to do with size or weight. MacBook Pro has/had various sizes—13”, 14, 15, 16—but they’re always at the high end (which also makes them more expensive than non-Pro models, not coincidentally).

Mac Pro, iMac Pro, iPhone Pro, iPad Pro—again various sizes are and have been available depending on the year, but the Pro models are always at the high end.

A mini model has always been introduced as a smaller version of something, whether iPad, iPod, Mac or the rumored iPhone.

Are you saying Pro models aren’t at the high end? Are you saying the regular/normal version of a product is smaller than its mini counterpart? I can’t think of any examples, maybe you can?

Ah, now i get it! The use of "just as" threw me off. It seemed as though you were introducing "mini" and "pro" as different ends of a specturm, but as you point out, they are different spectrums. i misunderstood - you are correct.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.