Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'iPhone 12 mini' Name Reappears in Leaked Apple iPhone 12 Case Stickers

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
Smart phones have reached a maturation point where the iPhone could easily release every 18 months and it would be totally suitable for the market. But Apple has investors to please, so that probably wouldn’t be the most likely scenario. With smart phones breaching over $1000 and in not the best of economic conditions right now, I don’t know that really makes sense to have an iPhone every 12 months.

I do think the numbering system though, will always be part of the iPhone. And the reason I think it will be, is the highest number iPhone shows the latest model, and it devalues the lower model, showing consumers the hierarchy chart. That said, I don’t suspect the numbering system will leave anytime soon.
It's not really about investors, but more about the actual demand. The market (not individuals, but the market in general) wants and can fully support new models every year, so Apple does that to capture all that profit.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
My better half has been clutching to his OG iPhone SE since it was released and will not switch to a larger phone.

Excited because the 12 mini will be so close to the OG iPhone SE that I should be able to get him to switch.

Reactions: tunastink

masterone

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
"iPhone 12 mini" sounds not Apple to me

iPod mini, iPad mini, Mac mini, iPod nano

This fragmentation of product naming is getting absurd. This is so unlike the Apple we all knew.

Steve’s time: Mac Pro, Mac mini, iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and that’s not including multiple sizes.

iPod nano, iPod touch, iPod shuffle, iPad, iPad Air, iPad mini

To me, the suffix “mini” still implies feature reduced rather than a full-fledged compact form factor. If they’re still using euphemisms like SE for the “special edition” phone, why not call this the XS as in extra small. Oh wait...
Dude, it’s just a name. Mac mini and iPad mini are fully featured devices. Leave the naming schemes to Apple, XS would not be a good name to indicate the size.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrpow

masterone

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
Personally, I think Apple should stop trying to release a new set of iPhones every year and drop the numbering altogether. iPhone mini, iPhone, iPhone Pro, iPhone Pro Max. They could be referred to by year of release, just like Macs are.
What. Apple should release a new iPhone every year. Sounds to me you just don’t wanna feel left out when every release goes by.

Yearly releases are for people who want to upgrade and don’t want to wait a couple years or more just to get the latest without feeling too outdated.

K🐨💜

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
USA
Noooooooooooo... :( iPhone Air 5.4-inch & 6.1-inch, iPhone Pro 6.1-inch & 6.7-inch. iPhone AIR. . . . . . ),: Apple doesn’t have a ‘different name’ for iPad Pro 12.9-inch (like IPAD MAX) It is just purely and simply iPad Pro 11-inch & 12.9-inch. Please bring this approach to iPhone. Undoubtedly the pastel colors of iPad Air 4 will match the 5.4-inch & 6.1-inch iPhones anyways......

kp98077

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2010
hope the mini is not like the SE, looks good but not real functional IMO....

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
To me, the suffix “mini” still implies feature reduced rather than a full-fledged compact form factor. If they’re still using euphemisms like SE for the “special edition” phone, why not call this the XS as in extra small. Oh wait...
I vote calling it iPhone 12 Genie: Phenomenal cosmic power, itty bitty living space

sjtidy

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
I was baffled too. Isn't the camera module different between the two?
They could both have the same camera bump, but different cameras inside. One would presumably have three cameras, the other two, but the case would just need a big square cutout for both.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Aleh

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
My god ever since someone pointed out Jobs once cleared up the incredibly confusing lineup of products Apple had before he came back, people have been saying they are doing the same mistake again for the dumbest of reasons. These are literally 2 phones each with 2 screen sizes, there's nothing complicated or fragmented about it.

jamcgahey

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
Maine
I'd be interested in an article (if it doesn't exist) discussing whether or not the 12 is worth upgrading to. Obviously once it comes out, but a suggestion. I have an XS Max and the battery sucks but I heard the 13 will be a much more significant upgrade versus the 12.

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
I'd be interested in an article (if it doesn't exist) discussing whether or not the 12 is worth upgrading to. Obviously once it comes out, but a suggestion. I have an XS Max and the battery sucks but I heard the 13 will be a much more significant upgrade versus the 12.
Says who?

Anyhow yes, the 13 will be a step up from the 12, but we just don't know in what ways yet. Personally my GUESS is that 13 will be akin to a 12s, maybe with 120 Hz and USB-C. If you're willing to wait, you could always just get your XS Max's battery replaced in the interim.

Reactions: jamcgahey

OJK

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
Ya, and it somewhat is. It is definitely not a “pro”. But it is similarly spec’d as the 12, isn’t it?
The SE was always meant to be cheap rather then small. The first SE just happend by coincidence to be also small as the previous model (5S) was small.
I think the naming mini makes sense. Especially as it should be even narrower than the iPhone SE (2020)/ iPhone 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: klasma

James Godfrey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
It’s exactly same with the iPad Air... I always thought the term Air was for thinness... yet the iPad Air is thicker than iPad Pro...

I think the iPad line needs changing to iPad SE for the iPad, just iPad for the iPad Air, then iPad Pro as it is...

The watch needs to drop the series number too, and just have Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch 2020 (Screen Size).

Also for the MacBook line up... MacBook Air should just be called MacBook with the pro staying the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.