Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'iPhone 12 mini' Name Reappears in Leaked Apple iPhone 12 Case Stickers

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx

Earlier this week a proven leaker claimed that the iPhone 12 lineup would be named "iPhone 12 mini," "iPhone 12," "iPhone 12 Pro," and "iPhone 12 Pro Max," and today the same nomenclature has appeared again in a photo depicting alleged stickers from unreleased Silicone iPhone cases originating from Apple's international distribution center in Ireland.

The photo shows three stickers with the associated handset sizes written alongside them, corresponding to the three expected sizes of iPhone 12, with the 5.4-inch model being the "‌iPhone 12‌ mini," the 6.7-inch model being the ‌"iPhone 12‌ Pro Max," and the two 6.1-inch models being the ‌"iPhone 12‌ / ‌iPhone 12‌ Pro."

The color for all three Silicone cases is black, and the model numbers that can be clearly made out include "MHL732M/A" and "MHLG32M/A," neither of which Apple has used in the past.

The photo was shared by Twitter leaker DuanRui, who last month shared photos of an iPad Air pamphlet depicting an all-screen display that turned out to be authentic.

The naming of the "Pro" models follows the precedent established in previous years, and the speculated titles would be a logical naming system for the ‌iPhone 12‌ lineup. With four new iPhones expected in this year's lineup, the use of four different names would help to differentiate the models more easily.

The ‌iPhone 12‌ mini would be the first iPhone with the "mini" moniker, which has been seen on the iPad mini, Mac mini, and iPod mini. At 5.4-inches, the ‌iPhone 12‌ mini would be smaller than last year's smallest ‌iPhone, the iPhone 11 Pro‌, which is 5.8-inches.

Apple plans to introduce its new iPhones in October this year, perhaps on October 13, and start shipping them out later that month. Rumors have suggested we can expect a staggered release, and some models might not come out until November.

Article Link: 'iPhone 12 mini' Name Reappears in Leaked Apple iPhone 12 Case Stickers

I had the original iPhone all the way up to the 5S. When the 6 came out, I hated the size (the ability to use my phone one-handed and have my thumb *easily* reach every part of the screen is paramount. I got the original SE when it came out and still use it to this day. I'm delighted they are finally releasing something "small" but I'm still worried it might be too big given that it's...yes...only a little larger than the 5/5S/SE...but all screen which may still make it cumbersome for one-handed / thumb use. Well see!

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'd be interested in an article (if it doesn't exist) discussing whether or not the 12 is worth upgrading to. Obviously once it comes out, but a suggestion. I have an XS Max and the battery sucks but I heard the 13 will be a much more significant upgrade versus the 12.
Sounds like maybe the battery needs replacing. It’s like $79 iirc

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Don't talk about fragmentation without mentioning the Mac Performa line 😅
And the different model numbers for the exact same machine depending on which customer segment it was targeted at.

Hell there must have been well over 20 or 30 (or more?) models with an almost indistinguishable sameness of specs. No one could keep track of what was what, including Apple themselves.

Positively SKUtastic 🤬

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It’s exactly same with the iPad Air... I always thought the term Air was for thinness... yet the iPad Air is thicker than iPad Pro...

I think the iPad line needs changing to iPad SE for the iPad, just iPad for the iPad Air, then iPad Pro as it is...

The watch needs to drop the series number too, and just have Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch 2020 (Screen Size).

Also for the MacBook line up... MacBook Air should just be called MacBook with the pro staying the same
Air refers to weight afaik. “Lighter than air”.

And drop the MacBook Air? That’s a multi-billion dollar product year after year. Iconic name with a ton of brand equity. It’ll be around for many years to come I think.

Also, you can’t switch around names between models within the product line just to satisfy someone’s idea of what could maybe be “better”. What you’re suggesting would be very confusing for anyone that wasn’t completely new to Apple products.

Last edited:

Sidhoah9

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2019
This fragmentation of product naming is getting absurd. This is so unlike the Apple we all knew.

Actually it looks like they’re fixing the fragmentation.
Mac Mini/Pro
iMac /iMac Pro
iPad mini/Pro
now iPhone mini/Pro (plus SE)

Maybe the smaller Apple Watch will be renamed Apple Watch Mini soon 😁

howywood

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
For the love of god can they just remove the numbering scheme and just simplify to mini, normal, and pro ...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wonder what the battery life will be like in the mini..
Speaking of small phones and battery life, iOS 14 has really taken a toll on my new SE battery life. With iOS 13 I could easily go a day and possibly 1.5 days. Now, I do well to make it a full day a lot of times. I have had to start using the Smart battery case and I am a very light phone user.

• Angry
Reactions: JM

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Lineup is getting a bit confusing. So many options in iPads, watches and soon to be iPhones that if you're not an apple fan on macrumors, it's a bit difficult to know what to get.

For instance you got iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Pro.

While the first and last kinda make sense, the Air you gotta do some research on what it means. It made sense with MacBook Air because it was thinner than anything else back then, but iPad Air, not so much.

Scoob Redux

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
There’s really not much to debate, is there. Mini clearly refers to size. That’s it. Whatever other features it may or may not have, it means the smallest. Just as Pro refers to the high end of the line.

There is quite a bit to debate in your argument.

First you point out that Mini "means the smallest"
Then, you say "Just as Pro refers to the high end of the line."
But those are contradictory. You suggest that mini refers to physical size, but Pro refers to high-end features. So, either you meant that Pro refers to the largest of the line, or you are arguing against your own assertion.

Scoob Redux

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
I had the original iPhone all the way up to the 5S. When the 6 came out, I hated the size (the ability to use my phone one-handed and have my thumb *easily* reach every part of the screen is paramount. I got the original SE when it came out and still use it to this day. I'm delighted they are finally releasing something "small" but I'm still worried it might be too big given that it's...yes...only a little larger than the 5/5S/SE...but all screen which may still make it cumbersome for one-handed / thumb use. Well see!

Right on. every. single. noun and verb in that post describes my situation.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

tobybrut

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2010
I like the names. It bothered me a bit that the original names being floated around had the non-pro 6.1“ phone being called iPhone 12 Max while the identically-sized Pro model was just called iPhone 12 Pro. The mini name lines up the 6.1” phones with similar names. Mini is the opposite of max, so it works for me. I would prefer Plus, myself, but I’m used to it.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
There is quite a bit to debate in your argument.

First you point out that Mini "means the smallest"
Then, you say "Just as Pro refers to the high end of the line."
But those are contradictory. You suggest that mini refers to physical size, but Pro refers to high-end features. So, either you meant that Pro refers to the largest of the line, or you are arguing against your own assertion.
What debate? And my statements aren’t contradictory in the least. Why do you think mini and Pro have to have opposite meanings? That makes no sense at all. Were you thinking of mini and Max?

Pro has never meant anything but high end. Nothing at all to do with size or weight. MacBook Pro has/had various sizes—13”, 14, 15, 16—but they’re always at the high end (which also makes them more expensive than non-Pro models, not coincidentally).

Mac Pro, iMac Pro, iPhone Pro, iPad Pro—again various sizes are and have been available depending on the year, but the Pro models are always at the high end.

A mini model has always been introduced as a smaller version of something, whether iPad, iPod, Mac or the rumored iPhone.

Are you saying Pro models aren’t at the high end? Are you saying the regular/normal version of a product is smaller than its mini counterpart? I can’t think of any examples, maybe you can?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.