Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBainNO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
Of the big youtubers I didn't hear anyone actually complain about the battery life, you would expect those to go for the best camera anyway.
I'm sure reviewers are required to keep the iPhone "clean" for marketing purposes. It wouldn't look as nice if they review a brand new iPhone hidden inside a case :) .

usr0

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2019
I'm sure reviewers are required to keep the iPhone "clean" for marketing purposes. It wouldn't look as nice if they review a brand new iPhone hidden inside a case :) .
what's battery life have to do with the case?

haensel

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
I did fix this issue for now (until Apple fixes the software) using a piece of tin foil and some tape.
Ugly, but it works!

FE6CC2C5-CBD2-4F4C-B7FC-DBBA8CBDD8CB.jpeg
0A8A7390-B61B-454A-B483-CD334A6643B8.jpeg

Reactions: QUV2Gaas

tom.forclaz

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
Hi,
I just received iPhone 12 mini. I'm on iOS 14.1. My set is Spigen Glas tR EZ Fit 2P iPhone 12 Mini and Nomad rugged leather case and I have just occasional problems with the lock screen. When is face ID working no issue with finger unlock. I have unlocked the phone every time with a thumb - no need to touch the phone frame. When need unlocks with pin screen is less responsive but its manageable wit little more pressure. I have also found that the screen under the notch is less sensitive to touch. To increase sensitivity helping only plug charging cable. Holding without case makes no difference. So far I can live with this. So not all Iphones 12 mini have similar problems but I still waiting to an update or solution from apple because it's no perfect.

UPDATE: So after trying to receive few calls and end calls I have the same problem as others. Totally unusable without a touch metal frame or optic metal ring.

Last edited:

CaramelFire

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I just got off the phone with the follow up call from Apple. They wanted to confirm the problems I, and many others have been having, along with the temporary workarounds (Tapback and tin foil, along with no case or no protector). He asked about MacRumors and I confirmed a story had been posted and most , if not all mini users affected. I was told that Engineering is aware of the problem and did not need any additional data from me. I was told in no uncertain terms, that engineering believes that the problem can be fixed with a update. I was also told that if Apple finds out that there is indeed a hardware problem that would require a recall, they will go back to your Case ID to verify eligibility. I asked if it is believed that an update will happen before the return window closes on 1.8.21 and he couldn’t say. He just said make sure to keep your software up to date.

Make sure to call Apple and get a Case ID, in case it does end up being hardware as well.
I'm having identical issues with my 12 pro max

xavras

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
I don't know about you, but I just came to say - let go of the topic and wait for an update.

Devonred

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Not yet - people just need to keep contacting them about the problem.
Yes if you see my posts circa page 15? I had an engineer that said the problem had been logged but very few numbers of reports (at that stage - last Sunday. So please report the issue, anyone reading this!

Reactions: RRC and jntdroid

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I have this issue. Can’t swipe down from top right on Lock Screen sometimes. Couldn’t answer a call today (Lock Screen). It is getting annoying.

I’m using with an Apple leather case and Spigen screen protector.

MarcinRSE

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
Gotta be resolvable in software, since unlocking the phone resolves it.
I tend to believe it’s software too but unfortunately it is already confirmed it is not Lock Screen only issue. Try for example using calculator while on a phone call, or write a post on Facebook while on a phone call. If you’re having WhatsApp, while listening to voice message you will be unable to operate on your phone. However, the funny thing is, if you’re talking on AirPods or listening to WhatsApp voice message on AirPods - it will work. I’ve never experienced such a f?ck up from apple ?

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I tend to believe it’s software too but unfortunately it is already confirmed it is not Lock Screen only issue. Try for example using calculator while on a phone call, or write a post on Facebook while on a phone call. If you’re having WhatsApp, while listening to voice message you will be unable to operate on your phone. However, the funny thing is, if you’re talking on AirPods or listening to WhatsApp voice message on AirPods - it will work. I’ve never experienced such a f?ck up from apple ?
Interesting! How odd! I’ll still be extremely surprised if we don’t see a software fix soon though, at least for the lock screen issue. The whilst-on-the-phone issues are probably considerably lower priority for Apple, given how much less often they’re likely to come up.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Just got off the phone with Apple. That was disappointing. The first gal I talked to didn't know anything about the issue, nor was she able to offer me any sort of 2nd level assistance besides talking to her supervisor. So I talked to her supervisor and I went over the whole thing again. The supervisor had never heard of this. I asked if she could look to see other similar cases logged. After a hold, she came back and said the only thing she could find were some issues with the lock screen when using a Magsafe case. I asked her if that issue was also tied to using a screen protector and she said no. Then I reminded her that I wasn't using a Magsafe case and it was also tied to using a screen protector. So she ultimately just logged my issue under the Magsafe issue. Sigh... I would think by now that Apple would have received thousands of calls about this. I mean, there were close to 2 million iPhone 12 pre-orders so how many pre-orders do you think there were for the Mini...maybe close to a million? I suspect that most people just put up with it or return their phones. For me it doesn't make the phone non-functional, it's just a nuisance when I have to repeatedly swipe to answer a call or switch to my other hand to punch in my passcode.

usr0

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2019
Just got here to check the forum and saw about 14.2.1. Love it when Apple justifies our trust. And it was a pretty quick fix too.

Reactions: ecschwarz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.