Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egobuster1

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
im having this issue constantly with iPhone 12 pro on ATT. I spent hours on the phone with upper level ATT support because I wasn't receiving text messages and data connection was dropping out and after a few hours they spoke with there engineering department who basically said its a known issue that ATT, Verizon and Apple are all working together on rapidly to try and pinpoint and fix. they said they had a similar issue back when the iPhone 8 came out also.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I’m with At&t and having the same issue. Was going to open a thread and ran into this for Verizon. I guess it’s not a hardware issue then... or I guess no one knows at this point? It’s happening every hour or so to my wife in places where signal is good and we’ve never had a problem.

edit: also my 11 pro max next to the 12 pro is connected just fine

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Crazy that some people are having such bad issues! My reception on iPhone 7+ - XS was terrible until I finally switched to Verizon with the 11 Pro, so I know your pain. Thankfully I haven’t had any problems with the 12 Pro but I live in a heavily populated area with lots of towers.

techishi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
US
I’m with At&t and having the same issue. Was going to open a thread and ran into this for Verizon. I guess it’s not a hardware issue then... or I guess no one knows at this point? It’s happening every hour or so to my wife in places where signal is good and we’ve never had a problem.

edit: also my 11 pro max next to the 12 pro is connected just fine

Yeah I have no idea really what the problem is, some things that seem clear:
  • Happens while still or moving, more noticeable while moving. Most likely an issue with tower switching.
  • Affecting various carriers (only seeing people reporting AT&T or Verizon so far)
  • Affecting various iPhone models. Thought it was just the 12 but have seen a few other reports of other models.
  • Can be remedied with toggle of airplane mode or phone restart.
  • Apple, AT&T & Verizon engineering departments all seem aware of the issue and are working on it to some extent. I personally contacted Apple support about it.
I’m hopefully this can be fixed with a carrier update or iOS update. But what is strange is that this doesn’t seem to affect everyone. I wish any of these engineering departments would give insight as to what the problem actually is/some timeline of a fix.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
This has become pretty bad. Not moving here at all. Also, switching airplane mode does not fix it for me. I have to reboot the phone. I've tried resetting network settings etc. The problem comes back. It barely goes an hour without disconnecting again. Gonna swing by AT&T.

bz101

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
Verizon, outside Boston in the suburbs and even on LTE I get a max of 4Mbps regardless of signal strength. Was on the phone with Apple for an hour with them running remote diagnostics -- nothing found on the hardware. Was on with Verizon for 2 hours resetting things from their side and even swapping to an old 4G SIM card. Nothing worked. iOS and/or network issue. This is almost unusable if not on wifi.

TheLurg1687

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
So I just went from the Cape (Mass) to NH. I think approx 20% of the time I had ZERO SERVICE. never happened to me in years. Dropped calls and everything. Not happy....

DigitalGrl

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2014
Dallas, TX
Reading these comments on here and Reddit about this issue has me wondering should I even order 12 Pro Max for me and hubby we are on Verizon also. I'll be reading/watching to see if there is a fix soon.

Reactions: Dingster101

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Just came back from AT&T. They said about 50 people walked in today with new phones for the same reason. Said both Apple and AT&T are working the issue and the only workaround for now is to install a SIM card that does not support 5G, wait for Apple/AT&T to fix the problem, then come back and add the 5G SIM card again. We agreed as the phone is otherwise useless. So no 5G for now. No dropped connections since then so far... nice job Apple and carriers testing your 5G crap.

Last edited:

Janney66

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
So I just went from the Cape (Mass) to NH. I think approx 20% of the time I had ZERO SERVICE. never happened to me in years. Dropped calls and everything. Not happy....

I’m in Southern NH and my commute to work that normally has service the entire time lost service in at least 5 different spots. Meanwhile my iPhone 7 work phone had service the entire time....even LTE in some of those spots.

Reactions: TheLurg1687

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Just came back from AT&T. They said about 50 people today with new phones walked in for the same reason. Said both Apple and AT&T are working the issue and the only work around for now is to install a SIM card that does not support 5G, so he put in an older SIM card. No dropped connections since then so far... nice job Apple and carriers testing your 5G crap.
That’s interesting. I have an older SIM from back to my 6S Plus or even older. I haven’t noticed any difference in service.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
That’s interesting. I have an older SIM from back to my 6S Plus or even older. I haven’t noticed any difference in service.
Not sure what you are saying there (there's nothing wrong with old SIM cards). The problem appears to be the new 5g SIM cards. There's some sort of glitch that causes the connection to get dropped when you leave a 5g zone or are in a weak 5g area. It's like the phone or service can't transition to the "slower" network.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Not sure what you are saying there (there's nothing wrong with old SIM cards). The problem appears to be the new 5g SIM cards. There's some sort of glitch that causes the connection to get dropped when you leave a 5g zone or are in a weak 5g area. It's like the phone or service can't transition to the "slower" network.
Exactly. I have an older SIM card with no issues.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
So far have been lucky not having any drops switching between towers on Verizon in Sioux Falls. Using the 5G sim card that came with the 12 Pro. Since 5G speeds are slower than LTE in my town, all I did was turn 5G off and am only using LTE.

Datloud

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2020
Really bad iPhone 12 pro connection also, will loose it while sitting on the couch and it will not even search fir service until I toggled airplane. Called Apple they seemed to not know anything about it. Verizon suggested sending a 4G sim. This is horse manure epic dripping the ball. Expect better from these companies.

Reactions: DigitalGrl

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Makes me wonder if I should keep my current 4G Verizon SIM from my XS and don’t activate the 5G SIM until the dust settles...

Scratch4

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
Yes, this happened to my wife this morning with her iPhone 12 Pro on Verizon. She's using her LTE SIM card from her old XR. We never had this issue on our iPhones before. It's a real bummer.. will continue to monitor.

Datloud

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2020
What’s weird is no one seems to be in a hurry to fix this. You just had a epic launch of a beautiful redesigned phone and sit the bed on service. 2020 continues to do 2020 things I guess.

Reactions: DigitalGrl

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
How many that are on Verizon with this issue are on the new 5G unlimited plans? I switched my plan to the 5G unlimited plan 10 days before I got the 12 Pro. I also had the switch to the new plan occur immediately, and not wait until the new billing cycle. I have had no problems with my 12 Pro with the new plan, even in areas with weak signal (1 bar).

Last edited:

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
What’s weird is no one seems to be in a hurry to fix this. You just had a epic launch of a beautiful redesigned phone and sit the bed on service. 2020 continues to do 2020 things I guess.
Agree on 2020... what an epic fail year!
This happened with XS as well. Weeks of issues with dropped service in low signal strength areas. Eventually resolved by carrier and/or iOS update.
The problem is when your return window approaches and the issue is not yet fixed you wonder what to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.