Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
Crappy move by Apple. Last year they gave both the 11 and 11 Pro the same RAM. No excuse to give the 12 4GB, but I’m not surprised. The 11 Pro should have had 6GB of RAM.

Prey tell how much ram should Apple give the iPhone 12 then? 12gb, 24gb, 1024gb, 2,000,000gb?
Once you demand more ram you never shut up and enough is never enough.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Apples naming schemes always give me a chuckle. They really should ditch the number value associated to the phone. Just get it over with. Or do they intend to have a iPhone 24 at some point? Call the 12 Pro Max the 2020 iPhone Pro 6.7inch.

iPhone 44 Extreme Ultra Pro Max.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Hmm. I was considering “downsizing” from the 11 Pro Max to one of the 6.1” models, now that both have larger LCD screens. A 6 GB Ram 12 Pro seems like a phone I could keep for a few years...

Reactions: Jovijoker

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
That gold phone is stunning. Never ever thought I would consider a gold iPhone, but that one is amazing. These are the best looking iPhones ever IMO.
Apple has always been good about making their phones look stunning in marketing materials. I'll reserve judgement till I see them in person. The last phones whose colors I liked were the iPhone 8 space gray and gold.

Back to the original topic. Since I'm running fine with 2 GB of RAM in my 2016 SE, 4 GB is probably more than enough for my use.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wish they would just drop the Pro and do price differences with screen size and storage options and clean up the line. I hate that to have the top specs and best camera you have to have the huge phablet.
Even if they got rid of the ‘pro’ nomenclature they could still choose to give the most expensive model (which is also the largest) features the other models don’t have.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Also:

iPhone Pro: "I'm a Pro Design. Apple says so."

iPhone 5: "Hold my beer."

Hot take on my part…this looks better than the 5. So did the 4. The 4 might still be my favorite model, but—I’m crazy excited to get the gold model.

Reactions: MrFootery

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Crappy move by Apple. Last year they gave both the 11 and 11 Pro the same RAM. No excuse to give the 12 4GB, but I’m not surprised. The 11 Pro should have had 6GB of RAM.

Last year's Pro was a mistake in terms of naming. Hardly any Pro features.

• Haha
Reactions: jjack50 and Homme

SevrinDantus

Suspended
Oct 14, 2020
The notch on the 12 mini is the same and you can see how the icons are placed...in the right is almost below the notch line
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 20.10.02.png

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I agree the specs on the 12s are impressive. I really like the flat edges. I’m currently using an 11Pro Max and iPad Pro 3rd Gen. Someone commented on the Gold phone and it is beautiful but why do people obsess over the color of the iphone when they are just going to put it in a case and the only thing people will see is the screen?!?!?!?
I bought my 11Pro Max with 256gb. It’s some sort of green color. I also got the OEM silicone case. No color showing. If Apple would design the sides of the phone (where volume up/down and Power switch are) with a knurled texture surface to help prevent phone from slipping through your fingers, I would then be more particular about color. This knurled edge could be color coordinated with the rest of the phone or even clear.
If a certain color makes you happy then go for it. I’m not changing phones for awhile so not a concern.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
For comparison, most of the Macs start at 8 GB of RAM - the Air, Mini, MBP 13", iMac 21" and iMac 27" all start with 8 GB of RAM - only the MBP 16", iMac Pro, and Mac Pro start with more RAM than that (16 GB, 32 GB, and 32 GB, respectively.)

Maybe this will be a fairer comparison when the Mac switches to Apple Silicon...

The Raspberry Pi really needs to bump up its memory numbers. The current generation only starts at 2 GB RAM (for $35. For $55 it has 4 GB and for $75 it has 8 GB.)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: vmistery

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
16GB of ram with the A14 processor running over 3GHZ you cam make the iPhone 12 a mini home computer
Just needs a docking station and hook ups to a monitor thru HDMI
No!
AAPL stockholders want iPhones that can't properly replace iPads and Macs, and iPads that can't properly replace Macs, so we buy all three.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Sorry, but there has to be more than one reason for users to buy the Pro, especially when the non-Pro is the same size this year. Camera, battery, RAM, colors, and materials have been the differentiators used to push people to the higher price point.

I would be concerned if the Pro models didn’t have more RAM.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The extra ram is required by the hungry computational intensive camera on the pro. Think apps now won't quit when using the pro camera? Think again.

They're already employing suspending and restoring apps to and from storage. Surprised they don't suspend apps to storage before launching camera app then restore apps from storage after quitting camera app. Only possible drawback is introducing noticeable delay to launching camera app.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
These news sealed the deal for me. I will be paying the $120 extra for the Pro at the 128gb capacity.

I was all ready et on upgrading from my Xr, but pre launch was leaning towards the 12. Now I'm leaning towards the Pro. I had planned on purchasing outright, but I stay with VZW anyway so I'm going to do the carrier upgrade with trade in.

In the end, the difference in price is $9/mo. For the upgrade in ram, storage, materials, and camera the money is worth it.

I'll be ordering a 12 Pro in Pacific Blue Friday 8 AM....

Reactions: compwiz1202

mrmagic9799

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
Louisiana
On one hand it's good Apple isn't cheapening out on DRAM on flagships but on the other hand the upsell to pricier Pro models. In comparison the $699 Pixel 5 has 8GB DRAM compared to $879 iPhone 12 that has half the DRAM at 4GB.

Those other devices need more ram because they aren't optimized the way the iphones are.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
When Apple updated the iPad Pro earlier this year with the LiDAR sensor, it simultaneously increased the RAM to 6GB for the iPad Pro. I'm willing to bet that the features driven the LiDAR sensor necessitates the need for the extra 2GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.