Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
so how will someone without usb c adapters use a new iPhone with a magsafe charger?
How do people without USB-C adapters use a new Apple Watch with a MagSafe charger (the Watch charging puck is essentially a smaller version of the MagSafe puck for iPhones)?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
as stated, i already have usb c devices. so i'd have to bring my special cable for my iphone just to charge that. if they were "saving the environment" here, they would have made it usb c to use your ipad pro cable and charging block with.
You said: "Now you have to bring 2 different cables with you." And you didn't have to bring two cables with you last year? What has changed such that now you have to bring two cables with you?
[automerge]1603212075[/automerge]

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The MagSafe charger is just silly to me. The whole point of me using wireless charging is that I can just pick up my phone but here I still need to use both hands to get it off the charger. Might as well just plug it in and as a benefit ... charge faster ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️
Where did it say you need two hands? If anything, one can infer from this reviewer’ suggestion that the magnet was too weak that one should be able to easily slide the charger off with one’s fingers/thumb with one hand, possibly too easily.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Not totally done. Sometimes you wake up and find it didn’t charge.

I don't know about an iPhone, but when I put my Galaxy on a Qi charger, I get a visual notification as well as an audible sound to confirm the phone is charging, to that point I have never found my phone uncharged?

kumar muthaiah

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
I suspected the credit card holder MagSafe adapter will be a failure! It is a bad way to put a credit card there! Can it fall down when you don't notice? Magnet is not a good method to hold things if there is lot's of disturbances for example if put in a pocket! Apple is failing in several respects now! What happened? More concentration on operation rather than human friendliness? All legends are moving out! Let see what happens to Apple later!

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Where did it say you need two hands? If anything, one can infer from this reviewer’ suggestion that the magnet was too weak that one should be able to easily slide the charger off with one’s fingers/thumb with one hand, possibly too easily.

I watched the iJustine one and she could lift the iPhone Pro with the Magsafe charger, which indicated to me that it is quite strong since the Pro isn't that light. Therefore each time you would pick up the iPhone, the MagSafe would also lift up and if you did manage to get the iPhone off the Magsafe charger with one hand, then the charger would bang down on the desk or whatever

Reactions: xpxp2002

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I have to fiddle with my Qi chargers all the time to get the phone to charge reliably/consistently. Much of the time, you put the phone down and it's not aligned exactly right, so it just starts repeatedly making the charging noise, indicating that it's having trouble maintaining a constant connection.

I think MagSafe for charging is brilliant, and basically makes Qi make sense.

I more elegant idea would have been to add a real magsafe lightening or USB connector for charging. Apple could have charged 10 times as much as they cost on Amazon.

Reactions: klasma

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Well two things I've gleaned from these reviews: 1) Glad I ignored Apple's PR BS about Ceramic Shield and ordered a Zagg screen protector like I always do when I get a new phone, and 2) I have a feeling I will cancelling the order for the magsafe wallet because watching it slide around the back of the phone while reviewers held it doesn't fill me with confidence, and probably sending back the charger as well. I have a Qi puck on my nightstand and office desk already, honestly I don't see the value in it. I ordered it out of curiosity but now that common sense has settled in I have a feeling I could find a better use for 40 bucks.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
And also, residential fiber-to-the-home is GPON-based, which is a shared medium. You're generally sharing 2.4 Gbps down/1.2 Gbps up with up to 31 other customers. Not disparaging it, but it's not a dedicated circuit like Metro E.

yes, this is very well true. it is a shared medium, not just on the access, but also on the uplink part. usually those GPON OLTs are connected via 1G/10GE to a router/bng, which again has some Nx10GE uplink to the rest of the ISP infra. but the 32 customers are in reality 'virtual' as no ISP manages to have anything near to 90% take rate at a splitter. we sometimes have 100%, but our fairly big GPON covered area scores around 22% actual endpoints vs household covered.

now compare this to a regular sub6GHz 5G installation. in the best case you are on 3.5GHz and your MNO has a continuous 100MHz block with TDD. you can get up to 1.6Gbps with a single UE in optimal conditions. anything from the lower bands is inferior. your MNO has to share the available spectrum with others, so in a band they might get a 30MHz block. while 5GNR gets more bits out from the same bandwidth, you cannot expect drastic improvements over 4G in the lower bands. go lower to sub-GHz, and spectrum scarcity joins better propagation to potentially limit the bw you can get on a single UE in real-life scenarios.

with mmWave you can do better than GPON, but in a crowded area - which is the key economic enabler to deploy a mmWave 5G node - you will most likely to have more than 32 people connecting to the station and mmwave is not really forgiving in NLOS scenarios. even your hand makes quite some difference. plus you have to be very near.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I watched the iJustine one and she could lift the iPhone Pro with the Magsafe charger, which indicated to me that it is quite strong since the Pro isn't that light. Therefore each time you would pick up the iPhone, the MagSafe would also lift up and if you did manage to get the iPhone off the Magsafe charger with one hand, then the charger would bang down on the desk or whatever
One’s fingers can easily apply more force than the force of gravity on the phone. And why do you have to lift the phone high to disconnect the charger? Just push the charger off while the phone is on or near the table. I’m sincerely a little confused why these things aren’t obvious.

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
MagSafe = gimmick.
How is it wireless, when u have to use both hands to detach the phone from the puck?

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
MagSafe - a $39 charger sold without a wall charger. Modern Apple is amazing!

Apple is now in the market of keeping up with the Androids when they introduce features too soon. They have 5G? We have 5G? Does any network have 5G - not really. The coverage map is laughable.

I just hope battery is not impacted. Battery is king and the 11 Pro is amazing.

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I just want the efficiency of plugging in my phone. I’d rather save the weight than have MagSafe. Plus, I often check my phone while plugged in, which makes that option more convenient.

gamerish

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
The 5G battery life is looking really, really bad based on the Verge's review. 2.5 hours of screen on time taking the battery down to 18%? I live in Manhattan so I'll probably be keeping 5G disabled permanently...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple is now in the market of keeping up with the Androids when they can. They have 5G? We have 5G? Does any network have 5G - not really. The coverage map is laughable.

Old complaint: "Apple is sooo behind... look at all these Android phones with 5G! WTF Apple?!?!"

New complaint: "5G actually kinda sucks... you can't find it anywhere... and it kills battery life..."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: jimbobb24

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Unfortunately the pandemic hit too late in the iPhone 12's development cycle for Apple to realize the greater need for having touch ID in phones again. Maybe we will get the one under the screen or in the power button like the new iPad air in the iPhone 13's next year but who knows if it will matter that much by then.
Too difficult to know. By then masks might not be a thing as we get more data and try to sort out what works and what doesn’t. And they will definitely not be a thing in some of their biggest markets where CV19 has not been as big a problem. In even 6 months I would be surprised if people are still wearing masks outside old folks homes, big cities, and medical facilities.

CouldBeWorse

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
MagSafe = gimmick.
How is it wireless, when u have to use both hands to detach the phone from the puck?
Pre-Airpod BT headphones were considered "wireless" even though they all had a wire connecting the earbuds to each other. Now we have "true wireless" earbuds. Charging seems to be an extension of the same logic. Qi and MagSafe both have cables.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
If you can't figure out standard wireless charging, I worry for your ability to function in our world. You put the phone down on the charger. That's it, you're done. How finicky is your charger?

I don't believe anyone said they couldn't figure out wireless charging. But: (1) this magnetic connection allows charging at double the speed and with less power loss, and (2) wireless charging is more subject to error, even among those who "figured [it] out." A common example is someone who positions their phone successfully but later jostles it when grabbing something else, only to discover after that that the phone failed to charge.

As with many features, if this one doesn't work for you, don't use it. And if you think it's useless generally, explain why (as some others have) so we can have a productive discussion. But it would suggest that it's unhelpful to create the straw man rationale that this feature is only valuable to people who couldn't figure out another method.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I wonder what happens when you combine MagSafe charger + glass background + dust. I expect micro scratches in a pattern.

I also wondered what happens if the MagSafe charger is string enough that it kind of jumps to the phone ("clank!") could it crack the glass?

The side that has the magnets has a material that feels like rubber so it won’t damage the back of the phone.

Reactions: bigboy29
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.