Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talyspops

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2022
Even my iPhone 12 Pro Max ran a 4169, smoked that Wammy S22.. I thought these using the Exynos 2200 chips though?

Attachments

• 6AEC1CD3-4280-42F2-8B7D-340C2EC19E10.png
    6AEC1CD3-4280-42F2-8B7D-340C2EC19E10.png
    826.8 KB · Views: 80

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I use iPhone because it suits me, for my overall phone usage a $100 smartphone would do fine. That said my friend has Samsung and it does make me a bit envious, the screen is way better than my iPhone, sounds seem better and a few other things. Perhaps it's just my perception of them side by side and that is wrong.

I don't care ultimately, my iPhone is all I need and more but Samsung do make nice smartphones.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
No one buys a phone to run a useless synthetic benchmark like Geekbench. How about comparing emulation performance where it matters? Oh forgot, Apple doesn't allow emulation. How about gaming comparison like Genshin Impact since demanding apps tend to be GPU rather than CPU limited? Now that I think about it I no longer play games on my phone vs on console or PC. How about comparing Siri vs Google smarts then?

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
To me this means either

Samsung will offer 3 years of meh software updates because their headroom isn’t as good
And Apple will continue to offer ~6(+) years of ok updates

Or

Samsung will offer solid updates
And Apple will offer 6+ years of good to very good updates

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
That literally is the truest thing I’ve ever read.
Disliking or hating Apple is a valid reason not to buy their phones. The same applies in reverse for Samsung and others.

For the overall mass market, people buy what they are used to and comfortable with. The majority don't like change, so if they are used to Android they will keep buying Android-based phones or if they are used to Apple they will buy iPhones. Some will switch, most won't. Same as PC vs Mac and Ford vs another car maker.

abowlby

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Eastern US
To me this means either

Samsung will offer 3 years of meh software updates because their headroom isn’t as good
And Apple will continue to offer ~6(+) years of ok updates

Or

Samsung will offer solid updates
And Apple will offer 6+ years of good to very good updates
Samsung does 4 years of OS updates and 5 years of security. None of these companies “fully” update older hardware. My 12 Pro Max can’t do rack focus or macro photography natively.

Reactions: M3gatron and mjs916

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
smartphones have been more or less the same over the last 6-7 or so years. apps on smartphones work pretty instantly and benchmarks that stress the phones out does not represent any performance benefit that consumers can feel. even if the iphone was 100x faster than the samsung phone, would you even feel that 100x?
Trick questions, okay I will bite.

Yes, I will feel it as the phone body will get hot and the battery will discharge faster. Now will I noticeably observe it being faster; probably not. ?

Reactions: brucemr

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Samsung does 4 years of OS updates and 5 years of security. None of these companies “fully” update older hardware. My 12 Pro Max can’t do rack focus or macro photography natively.
Does Samsung offer an OS upgrade/update Day 01 or Month 01 from official Google release. Same question for security updates. Will these updates/upgrades be delayed till new devices ship to encourage hardware upgrades or will it be available asap. Will it be a true update or some half-arsed attempt that even Apple pulls on some macOS upgrades relating to hardware limitations.

I wonder why Samsung does not offer the option of Vanilla AndroidOS, why waste their time, energy and money with OneUI.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
How fast is fast enough?

I wish there was a way to dock an iPhone and have my Mac use it as a co-processor of some kind.
Like slapping a Sega 32X on top of a Genesis?

That would actually be really cool if they had a port and memory interface fast enough to allow something like that. I’m sure it could work but Apple would never.

Would be cool if something like that Motorola LapDock was done by Apple in the future. I feel like they could do it correctly for tablets and laptops, all built around the phone.

abowlby

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Eastern US
Does Samsung offer an OS upgrade/update Day 01 or Month 01 from official Google release. Same question for security updates. Will these updates/upgrades be delayed till new devices ship to encourage hardware upgrades or will it be available asap. Will it be a true update or some half-arsed attempt that even Apple pulls on some macOS upgrades relating to hardware limitations.

I wonder why Samsung does not offer the option of Vanilla AndroidOS, why waste their time, energy and money with OneUI.
Samsung has been getting the updates out faster than Google. If objectivity is your thing. But I can see this is getting emotional, so I doff my cap to the cult. You win.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
iPhone performance envelop does afford iPhone to maintain lower total cost of ownership, as the phone continues to perform well many years beyond Android phones would. It is also helped by Apple providing much more generous software update cycle.
By the 4th year the Software Upgrade taxes the Apple chip and even the 4yo battery. Many wouldnt tolerate a bad user experience so would refrain from doing any Update that would impact performance

Cashflow-wise if there was a 93 month contract for an iPhone then it would be golden but financing often times are 1-3 years in length.

No need to sugar coat things. Call a spade a spade.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m not going to lie. I think Samsung also did a great job with the hardware design and the color. The phone itself looks futuristic. Have to give the credit where it’s due. Much respect to Samsung. Competition is a good thing and it will only push Apple to do bigger and better things. ??

Honestly, that ad is pretty awesome, and the design and color is gorgeous.

I really want to get a ticket to visit that spaceship.

Reactions: M3gatron

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Honestly, that ad is pretty awesome, and the design and color is gorgeous.

I really want to get a ticket to visit that spaceship.
I find this Ad crap.
I used to like the old Apple Ads, they simply showed real usage scenarios and its features, instead of unrealistic sci-fi crap.

Sadly Apple started to create unrealistic crappy Ads, too.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
By the 4th year the Software Upgrade taxes the Apple chip and even the 4yo battery. Many wouldnt tolerate a bad user experience so would refrain from doing any Update that would impact performance

Cashflow-wise if there was a 93 month contract for an iPhone then it would be golden but financing often times are 1-3 years in length.

No need to sugar coat things. Call a spade a spade.
Irrelevant, all phones have pretty crappy batteries if inconstant use for four years, even if you don’t update them from their original firmware at all.
Luckily, most people buy their phones through carriers, and most of those carriers offer some form of AppleCare or insurance that will replace the batteries after a certain amount of time for free or for a reduced fee.
There are plenty of people who are still on iPhone 6S’s, 7’s and original SE’s, who’ve had battery replacements and are doing just fine, with the latest software updates. Phone plenty fast and they aren’t missing out on much

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The cores of Apple Silicon have been faster and more efficient than ARM and Kryo cores for sometime. It's not helping that Qualcomm screwed up the performance per watt of the last few Snapdragon generations, with newer chips being worse than the last in terms of performance per watt. Even the A14 is still leading.

But the improvements of the Snapdragon 8 gen 1 comes in the GPU department. It closes the gap with Apple Silicon quite a bit than older Snapdragons.

In the end, I want to see sustained performance tests. SD8g1 suffers from throttling, at least in the Xiaomi 12 Pro, worse than the SD888. Want to see how useful Samsung's cooling technique is. The A15 is not immune to throttling either.

Reactions: snipr125

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

In terms of security patches, Samsung is not that bad. The flagships will get monthly patches like the Pixel, and sometimes they got pushed ahead of the Pixels. Google always give the OEMs the security patches a month in advance anyway.

As for timely Android upgrades, considering how much more feature rich OneUI is than stock Android, having it a few months later than stock Android is not a big deal. Many improvements on any new version of stock Android have been features of existing OneUI anyway. Besides, Android upgrades are getting less and less significant. Even Google stops their dessert name marketing gimmick. I mean theming is the main tent pole of Android 12, and that has been a feature on other Android skins for ages. Android 13's "big" thing so far is just having matching icons with the custom theme. That's akin to Apple advertising new emojis as their tent pole feature... :D These OSes have matured, making the security patches promise to be the more important part imo.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
Can you tell during day to day use? I'd prefer being able to customize how i use my phone and be less powerful on paper. Now, if you're frugal and plan to keep your phone 5+ yrs then yea Apple is the way to go. Aslo, the new S22 line is so pretty compared to the iphone 13s.
Substitute the appropriate branding, and every single word of this comment has been uttered by fanatical Apple customers at multiple times in the past. Oh, how the times have changed.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Irrelevant, all phones have pretty crappy batteries if inconstant use for four years, even if you don’t update them from their original firmware at all.
Luckily, most people buy their phones through carriers, and most of those carriers offer some form of AppleCare or insurance that will replace the batteries after a certain amount of time for free or for a reduced fee.
There are plenty of people who are still on iPhone 6S’s, 7’s and original SE’s, who’ve had battery replacements and are doing just fine, with the latest software updates. Phone plenty fast and they aren’t missing out on much

Your premise would nullify providing a long Software support of 76-93 months long if the end user would just do financing through their telco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.