Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abl63

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2022
In before "it's not all about specs" posters chiming in. When Android were more powerful years ago and with better hardware, no one ever heard the end of it.

Now it's not about specs. LMAO. Give me a break.
Apple's silicone have almost always been faster than the Android counterpart (or any other ARM-based chip for that matter). It's been the iPhone's strength. But apart from that the hardware in the Android flagships is generally still superior compared to the iPhone (screen, charging, camera-lens, expandable storage etc.). But that's not what you are buying a phone for, and it certainly doesn't mean the experience will be better.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As an avid Apple supporter, I detest these types of articles Macrumors. The authors know this will cause divided controversy and silly arguments which phone is faster. Both phones are plenty fast to the consumer.

FYI…’Faster’ isn’t always a notable effect to the consumer, the experience with the features is far more of a crucial experience over speed, which ever phone the consumer prefers is based on experience, not ‘speed’.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Christ alive, those are some hideous devices. I'm the first to admit that Apple's phone design has stagnated, much like Tesla's has under Holzhausen, but these don't hold any appeal at all as an alternative.

Reactions: Mr.PT and SFjohn

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
... Honestly, i see no differences between Games running on iPhone 8,X,11,12,13 or some older el'cheapo Huawei. ...
Then you and I are likely not playing the same video games, my friend. My current iPhone 12 absolutely performs better than did my old iPhone X, in several of the games I routinely play.

Thing is, most people will find that these performance differences are only really noticeable when you switch down from the faster device to the slower device; the speed increase that you can blithely ignore when you upgrade abruptly becomes an annoyance factor when you go the other direction.

That said... it occurs to me that perhaps this speed advantage is one of the factors that Apple is banking on to keep customers loyal.

Reactions: Captain Trips

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What are the real world implications of this? Nothing.
Actually, there is. When the OS becomes less optimized/efficient, that extra performance can mask it… :D

I’m more interested in sustained performance. Throttling and overheating is the big hill to get over for these newer chips. Even the iPhone is not immune to throttling/overheating/screen dimming.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
In before "it's not all about specs" posters chiming in. When Android were more powerful years ago and with better hardware, no one ever heard the end of it.

When I bought my first Mac its PPC G4 was hopelessly underpowered. As you say, so was my original iPhone.

The Apple enthusiasts who now populate the net bragging about raw power are the same guys who'd have insisted to hell and back that all that matters is user experience.

It's almost as if some people just want to feel superior.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Then you and I are likely not playing the same video games, my friend. My current iPhone 12 absolutely performs better than did my old iPhone X, in several of the games I routinely play.

Thing is, most people will find that these performance differences are only really noticeable when you switch down from the faster device to the slower device; the speed increase that you can blithely ignore when you upgrade abruptly becomes an annoyance factor when you go the other direction.

That said... it occurs to me that perhaps this speed advantage is one of the factors that Apple is banking on to keep customers loyal.
That's placebo effect, which game exactly?
Nothing that makes a big difference, bit of loading here and there, that's all, nothing wows me.

Last edited:

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I’m not going to lie. I think Samsung also did a great job with the hardware design and the color. The phone itself looks futuristic. Have to give the credit where it’s due. Much respect to Samsung. Competition is a good thing and it will only push Apple to do bigger and better things. ??

For some reasons the phone always me of the Celestials in eternals.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020

Took the words out of my mouth. Especially when it comes from PC Master Race types of Android fanboys (Linus Tech Tips comes to mind).... like you're whole thing is benchmarks and tiny little spec differences that amount to 8 extra FPS in some game. Oh but now you don't care about specs? Suuuuurrrre.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Took the words out of my mouth. Especially when it comes from PC Master Race types of Android fanboys (Linus Tech Tips comes to mind).... like you're whole thing is benchmarks and tiny little spec differences that amount to 8 extra FPS in some game. Oh but now you don't care about specs? Suuuuurrrre.

Do you want to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider at ~20fps on a $1200 MBA M1 or ~90fps on a laptop with Nvidia 3060 for about the same price?

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
I’m not going to lie. I think Samsung also did a great job with the hardware design and the color. The phone itself looks futuristic. Have to give the credit where it’s due. Much respect to Samsung. Competition is a good thing and it will only push Apple to do bigger and better things. ??

I heard this was Samsung’s design inspiration.

1644621705792.jpeg

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Samsung does 4 years of OS updates and 5 years of security. None of these companies “fully” update older hardware. My 12 Pro Max can’t do rack focus or macro photography natively.
4 years, excuse me.
But otherwise, what’s your point? I sense some negativity and I don’t understand it. I mentioned updates, not upgrades. Apple chose not to support those features, because they see fit, but that’s not what I was talking about. Looking at the original SE we both, you, with your 12PM, and me, with my 11P, really can’t complain.
Also, I was just trying to make a simple prediction with regards to chip speeds, reputation and promises. Nothing more.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Wow! I’m so amazed by the iPhone 13 Pro Max. It is a total beast and it's one of the best iPhones Apple has worked on to this date. The iPhone itself has been ahead of its time always. The numbers, performance, and processing power do not lie.

All eyes on iPhone 14 ?
What does it actually with that extra power do that one of these "slower" phones cannot also do?

Reactions: Celf

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The test that really stands out to me here is the Web Basemark one, since it's not completely synthetic or looking at what might be useful things, it's measuring what most people spend all day doing with their phones.

Nor is it a case of "So what if sending an email takes 200ms instead of 100ms?" Websites today--for both good and absolutely stupid reasons--often hit the CPU really hard, and I can think of plenty of times a site takes time to load or is sluggish even on very high-end desktop hardware.

And the A15 iPhone is twice as fast as Samsung's flagship. Indeed, the iPhone 11 scores about a 650 on the same benchmark, so even if you're using a two-model-year-old iPhone, it's still faster than today's Samsung flagship.

Sure, some of that may be software optimizations, but that comes around to the very valid point "it's not all about specs". Whatever the reason is, if web page rendering and web-app response on a your 2+ year old phone is still faster than the competitor's new flagship, that matters.

That said, given the traditional love internet trolls who make a hobby of hating Apple products seem to have for benchmarks, it's also pretty funny to see the iPhone so absolutely dominant in everything but game performance, and right on par even in that area. There are genuine reasons to prefer Android over iOS, and even a Samsung phone over an iPhone, but raw speed sure ain't one of them.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Actually, there is. When the OS becomes less optimized/efficient, that extra performance can mask it… :D

I’m more interested in sustained performance. Throttling and overheating is the big hill to get over for these newer chips. Even the iPhone is not immune to throttling/overheating/screen dimming.
Very true!
One thing I didn’t like on Android which still seems to exist is how as your phone gets older the background system processes can absolutely ruin the device, one of the ones I’m thinking of is Google Play Services. Once that bugger began draining battery I would go all over my phone to try find a way to stop it. The issue would seemingly go away after a week or 2 then a few weeks or months later come back, it was especially bad with my S7 Edge in late 2017, now a person I know with the Z Fold 3 is now facing this issue after updating to Android 12 not too long ago. My almost 3 year old 11 Pro Max probably did random battery draining all of once and I quickly found the culprit to be the Reddit app which had gone rogue for some reason, deleted it and switch to Apollo, not issue since.

This is not to say all Androids go through this, but when he told me about it I immediately knew what he was talking about and was disappointed hear it’s still an issue.

This is also not to say iPhones don’t go through this, I’ve read of some people having issues with their iCloud causing their phone to run through battery in no time, but it seems to happen more on Android in my experience.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The test that really stands out to me here is the Web Basemark one, since it's not completely synthetic or looking at what might be useful things, it's measuring what most people spend all day doing with their phones.

Nor is it a case of "So what if sending an email takes 200ms instead of 100ms?" Websites today--for both good and absolutely stupid reasons--often hit the CPU really hard, and I can think of plenty of times a site takes time to load or is sluggish even on very high-end desktop hardware.

And the A15 iPhone is twice as fast as Samsung's flagship. Indeed, the iPhone 11 scores about a 650 on the same benchmark, so even if you're using a two-model-year-old iPhone, it's still faster than today's Samsung flagship.

Sure, some of that may be software optimizations, but that comes around to the very valid point "it's not all about specs". Whatever the reason is, if web page rendering and web-app response on a your 2+ year old phone is still faster than the competitor's new flagship, that matters.

That said, given the traditional love internet trolls who make a hobby of hating Apple products seem to have for benchmarks, it's also pretty funny to see the iPhone so absolutely dominant in everything but game performance, and right on par even in that area. There are genuine reasons to prefer Android over iOS, and even a Samsung phone over an iPhone, but raw speed sure ain't one of them.
Core per core, Apple Silicon has been superior than Qualcomm/ARM’s cores. Apple keeps improving both performance and efficiency of their P and E cores, while Qualcomm merely went sideways for their P cores and haven’t done anything on their E cores for years until now. Qualcomm’s dominance in modem and Android SoC have made them the “intel” of mobile. Even Mediatek now has better performance and efficiency than Qualcomm.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Superior chip design + tight integration + control over the whole hardware and software stack is the reason why Apple keep their lead.

Samsung will never be in this position cause they do not control the OS, and still rely on Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset for the processor.
Superior chip design: agree. Apple’s bet on mobile way in the A4 days paid off handsomely. The A9 was the turning point of performance and Apple never looked back.

Tight integration of hardware and software: errr that’s been kinda shaky lately, especially on the software part. How long it take for them to even implement universal control that they advertised last year?

Samsung has been working very closely with Google and Microsoft. Imo OneUI is superior to stock Android at this point, and Samsung is actually the one leading Google in WearOS and tablet functionality of Android. And integration with Windows is surprisingly well, albeit not as silky as Apple. The missing part is the ecosystem thing that Apple has been doing well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.