Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 13 may support faster-charging speeds with a 25W power adapter, compared to the current limitation of the iPhone 12, which only supports fast charging at up to 20W, according to a rumor originating from China.

iphone-13-blue-with-text.jpg

The iPhone 12 supports fast charging with a 20W or higher power adapter; however, even if users use a more powerful wall adapter, the iPhone itself only supports up to 20W. According to the rumor, Apple will provide users with support for a 25W power adapter this fall, and with it, it will release its own 25W power adapter as an accessory for purchase. Apple's current 20W power adapter retails for $19.99.

Compared to 20W, 25W won't bring a drastic change to charging speeds or typical day-to-day charging for users. Many flagship Android smartphones, such as the Samsung Galaxy S21, already support 25W. Support for the faster-charging speeds will come alongside increased battery capacities for each of the iPhone 13 models, which will come in handy on the higher-end variants due to more advanced displays.

The iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max are expected to benefit from LTPO displays, which will not only provide users with a better viewing experience with ProMotion 120Hz refresh rate but may support always-on functionality.

Article Link: iPhone 13 May Support 25W Fast Charge Power Adapter

Reactions: Baharuddin

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
Shameless money grab. But honestly, Apple really cares about their customers….

I know, you don’t HAVE to buy the faster charger. But Apple knows that if they come out with something new, even if it only marginally improves performance, there are those who will buy whatever it is.
Sadly this is prob me

Reactions: joelhinch

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Apple - we’ve removed the power adaptor for environmental reasons since everyone has one at home

Apple - we’ll keep changing the power adapter every year
The funniest of all of this is that they claim that everyone already has a charger (most likely from previous iPhone purchases) yet they include a cable that does not even work with all these chargers! So either you buy another charger to be able to use this cable OR you have a new cable that becomes more waste because you cannot even use it! environmental my a

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
A few days ago I bought this
and this
because Apple never gave me something that I could fast charge my iPhone with or charge the iPhone and the MagSafe Battery Pack at the same time with one adapter.
🤷‍♂️

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's still slower than my anker 30w dual-port charger.

Meaning that I don't see myself needing to buy any new cables or charging bricks later this year when I upgrade my phone.

Still business as usual for me.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Fast charging is great and practical but you should be able to set the charging speed though. Always fast charging can't be good for the battery.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Fast charging is great and practical but you should be able to set the charging speed though. Always fast charging can't be good for the battery.
Maybe Apple can implement an optional notification that pops up every time you charge your phone, asking when you want the phone to be fully charged by, then vary the charging speed according to that.

Not sure if it would be better than the Optimized Battery Charging implementation though, where the battery charges at "full speed" and holds at 80% till required to go 100%.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
3 Days ago i ordered the 20W charger should i return it?
I switched because i only want USB c charger.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
3 Days ago i ordered the 20W charger should i return it?
I switched because i only want USB c charger.
If you need a charger now keep it. This is simply a rumour that 13 series might support higher charge and even so the actual real world difference likely won't be much between 20>25. If any tbh.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
A fast charging should NOT be used as regular charging! The reason is that the battery deteriates much faster, as more heat on the battery results in that. Charge your phone over night with normal charger and your battery will last long. The fast charge should be used if you need to charge quickly before something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.