MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwanese Apple supplier Pegatron will remain a major assembler of smaller iPhones and will share orders for this year's forthcoming iPhone 13 mini with Foxconn, claims a new report from DigiTimes.

iPhone-mini-wonder-feature.jpg
Pegatron has obtained orders for the upcoming 5.4-inch iPhone model, as well as a portion of orders for another upcoming iPhone model that will feature a 6.1-inch display, according to market sources.
This year's iPhone 13 mini is expected to be the last 5.4-inch model that Apple will offer in its flagship lineup, owing to poor sales, according to reliable sources. Apple does not plan to introduce a 5.4-inch iPhone 14 mini, with the mini line ending after the iPhone 13.

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple in 2022 will instead offer two 6.1-inch iPhones and two 6.7-inch iPhones, so both the standard iPhone 14 and the iPhone 14 Pro will be available in those two size options.

Pegatron is Apple's second-largest ‌iPhone‌ assembler after Foxconn, and in February spent $14.2 million to buy land rights for building a factory in Chennai, India. The outlay followed a proposal approved in late 2020 by its board of directors to spend $150 million on building its first ‌iPhone‌ manufacturing plant in the country.

Regular readers may recall that Apple suspended its partnership with Pegatron in November 2020 after it discovered that the major iPhone supplier was committing labor violations at a student workers' program.

Apple put Pegatron on probation as a result of the violations, and while supplier's current ‌iPhone‌ business was not expected to be affected, it was originally forecast to lose some iPhone 12 orders to other Apple supplier Luxshare.

The latest information was shared in DigiTimes' paywalled "Before Going to Press" section, so there are no further details yet, but the full report should be released later on Tuesday.

Update: The full report, now released, reveals that both Pegatron and Foxconn will share orders for iPhone 13 mini, although Pegatron has seen orders for the smaller form factor iPhone reduce significantly this year due to lower-than-expected sales of the iPhone 12 mini.

While Pegatron is also likely to land a small portion of the orders for the standard 6.1-inch iPhone 13 model in the new iPhone lineup, Foxconn will remain the primary assembler for the entire 2021 iPhone series. China-based Luxshare will also become one of Apple's iPhone production partners this year, according to DigiTimes' sources.

Article Link: iPhone 13 Mini to Be Assembled By Pegatron and Foxconn [Updated]

Last edited:

Lefteous

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
The funny thing about the iPhone 12 mini sales is that Apple can conduct surveys about why people don't buy it as much as they want but they will never really know if it's just the size or the battery life until they release a mini that is on the same level in terms of battery life compared to the 6,1" iPhone.

Comment

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
What if the iPhone 13 mini had huge sales? Will Apple reconsider that model for the 14?

Very likely yes. The old adage 'good business is where you find it' applies.
The only reason they wouldn't is if they felt higher mini sales were eating too much into higher margin sales.

Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
The funny thing about the iPhone 12 mini sales is that Apple can conduct surveys about why people don't buy it as much as they want but they will never really know if it's just the size or the battery life until they release a mini that is on the same level in terms of battery life compared to the 6,1" iPhone.

Why would Apple care? You're describing an engineering impossibility or an iPhone that would be rather ugly.

"Would you buy a 5.4" iPhone with a big battery that we can't physically fit into the chassis? We would have to make it super thick and break all Apple design rules."

• Disagree
Reactions: mburkhard and msp3
Comment

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
Poor sales = any other smartphone vendor would love to have a “poorly selling” failure like the Mini.

I think it was still in the global top 10.

It’s all relative, but of course if makes for nice clickbait headlines. One has to scrape something together because the iPhone 12 line has otherwise been a spectacular success.

Comment

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
India is a huge market while Apple's sales penetration there is small. Does bringing consequentially sized manufacturing to India translate to greater Indian sales penetration especially for a lower price point phone? If it does Apple's move to India is very understandable

Outside of developed countries Apple largely has paltry market share. Doubling the Indian marketshare would still make it a comparatively small market share yet that localized increase in sales would be quite an outsized sales/revenue increase.

Comment

Lefteous

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
Why would Apple care? You're describing an engineering impossibility or an iPhone that would be rather ugly.

"Would you buy a 5.4" iPhone with a big battery that we can't physically fit into the chassis? We would have to make it super thick and break all Apple design rules."
Oh well why not use the same 'ugly' thickness as the iPhone 4. Is 9,3mm super thick?

Reactions: mburkhard and mazz0
Comment

mrat93

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2006
This might have an easy explanation, and it may not even be relevant if the stories about poor sales are true…

But is it possible that Apple didn’t want the mini to sell well and maybe it’s cannibalizing sales of more expensive iPhones? I was paying Apple $55/month for my 11 Pro and now I’m paying almost $20 less for my 12 mini.

I have a hard time believing that they want to cut out the mini due to poor sales. What were they expecting? They have 5 other iPhones with bigger screens to compete with. What defines “poor” sales? I’d imagine they make a lot more off of a $799 iPhone 12 vs a $699 mini — they’re basically the same phone.

Comment

Ozid

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
I was really looking forward to the Mini, but if 120hz comes true on the pro-only phones this year, I‘ll have to pass it up.

Still hope it does well though, I really do want that form factor, but not at the expense of some features.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.