Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Starting to remind me of this. By the time Apple removes the notch, at this rate, it will be 2036.

79E76476-9C3D-4DC8-AEE3-6CECC39480F1.jpeg

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
It is an abomination that they’ve kept this aesthetic disgrace for as many years as they have. Another year I am forced to stick to the SE device.

I simply won’t purchase any iPhone with a notch. It is bad design that shouldn’t have ever gone rewarded.
I don't hate the notch that much. Well, at least not on paper. But when I saw that the notch hides the numbers from the battery percentage icon in the upper right corner (Status Bar) of the screen I opted out.

That's definitely a step back and not forward.

Okay. I get that they don't want you to resize the status bar or its font size. But why on Earth can't you let us switch the battery percentage icon to showing just the percentage number instead?

And for anyone wondering, no, the 20% reduction in notch size was not enough to give us back the percentage numbers.

So it's another year of waiting till they kill the notch.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It is an abomination that they’ve kept this aesthetic disgrace for as many years as they have. Another year I am forced to stick to the SE device.

I simply won’t purchase any iPhone with a notch. It is bad design that shouldn’t have ever gone rewarded.

I've been using iPhones with a notch since the X and honestly don't even notice it or think about it as I'm using the phone. Clearly many, many people disagree with you based on sales. And, no, that doesn't mean they're stupid or don't have proper taste, so don't even go there. Obviously many agree with you too, but I wonder if they've actually used the phone as their daily driver over an extended period of time in an unbiased manner.

@dcdandan Come on, now, turn that frown upside down! I was hoping you'd reply with your own experience, since you obviously disagree with something I said. How much day to day experience have you had with a phone with a "notch"? How has that notch affected your use of the phone in real life? Look, obviously the ideal thing would be no notch, but I'm just saying it's not this atrocious thing that people are making it out to be.

Last edited:

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
If they're just going to remove the notch next year, why bother with shrinking it barely this year? Seems like unnecessary R&D...?
We're all doing a lot of assuming here just based on a supposed leak.

Apple wants to do a lot of things with the iPhone. But above all, these things have to be feasible and I'm not sure a notch-less iPhone with Face ID is feasible yet.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Completely irrelevant if they haven't utilized the extra space. Look, I am an iPhone user and will continue to be when I upgrade, but Apple are just flat out lazy and are riding their reputation this year. This years lineup is grossly underwhelming.

trevorplease

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
I missed/haven't read all the news of today yet.. I saw this article first.

This is a joke right? I'm laughing

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019

Notch is ok.,

• Angry
Reactions: BluefinTuna

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They have become sooo greedy and I don’t blame them. No competition….. when was the last time an Apple event excited you ? …….

WhatTF does this mean? iPhone 13 are incredible devices packed with the latest technologies. Greedy? What do expect? A paper-light, completely transparent iPhone that can read your mind? Gah, complaints like this annoy me... just appreciate the fact that Apple is giving us stellar technology that the industry chases. It's largely irrelevant that Samsung was first to 120GHz, when the entire modern Samsung phone family was inspired by iPhone to begin with.

• Disagree
Reactions: ModusOperandi

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021

Apple's new iPhone 13 models that were released today feature an updated TrueDepth camera and a new design for the notch, which has been slimmed down.

iPhone-13-vs-iPhone-12-notch-comparsion-zooomed.jpg

Apple said on stage that the notch is now 20 percent less wide than the notch used in prior models, but comparisons between the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 confirm that the new notch design is just a tad bit taller.

In the overlay above, you can see the size difference in action. The notch is indeed a good bit smaller, and the tiny increase in height is barely noticeable.

The new notch design is in line with rumors that we heard during the beta testing period, which pointed to a design that was more compact and just a tiny bit taller.

Next year, Apple may do away with the notch entirely. Rumors suggest that at least some models will have no notch with a design that instead incorporates a hole-punch cutout for the front-facing camera, with Apple to adopt under-display Face ID.

Article Link: iPhone 13 Models Feature 20% Smaller Notch That's Just a Tiny Bit Taller
Speaker grill isn’t at the top like rumoured and the notch is barely smaller. Would’ve been better if it was shallower than thinner but hey ho, gives me a good reason not to upgrade this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.