Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spike1999

macrumors regular
May 19, 2020
Every time I watch a video by Lewis I feel bad for him. He is so wretchedly bitter at Apple.

EDIT: FYI, I am no iJustine fan either. I have come to like/respect MKBHD. He is not afraid to throw punches but also isn't blatantly hating on Apple the entire time.
Yeh those three did my head in for various reasons so I stopped watching them, Linus is okish, I’m a big fan of MaxTech and Dave2D now ?

Reactions: Snake111

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Every time I watch a video by Lewis I feel bad for him. He is so wretchedly bitter at Apple.

EDIT: FYI, I am no iJustine fan either. I have come to like/respect MKBHD. He is not afraid to throw punches but also isn't blatantly hating on Apple the entire time.
MKBHD is easily my fav of the Apple Product Review ‘tubers.

Not sure I recall a mock-up that looks as well crafted.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
you could get your self a iPhone 12 pro max wish would be a major upgrade over the iPhone X and you can keep the phone for many years too come in tell you see some in you like with the iPhone 14 15 16 or 17 lol
Bought my son a 12 Pro. I'll wait. I tend to buy my phones out right and keep them until something comes along and makes me want to buy an upgrade.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
It is amazing how the size of the notch is so focused on by MR and other members.
Because the notch is annoying and always has been. It's amazing how people don't want a completely full screen without obstruction on their phone. This smaller notch is still a notch, though. Seems pointless. Can't wait for them to figure out how to cram all that tech under the screen.

Reactions: bryanc28

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Because the notch is annoying and always has been. It's amazing how people don't want a completely full screen without obstruction on their phone. This smaller notch is still a notch, though. Seems pointless. Can't wait for them to figure out how to cram all that tech under the screen.
I would like a full screen. However, I am understanding that at this moment in time, technology hasn't quite caught up with MR desire. As such, I don't even think about the notch.

mashdots

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2015
seattle-ish
There are some interesting videos on YouTube (whatever you may think of Memeology 101, his video on Lew was quite telling), but it comes down to Lew shilling for products, stealing ideas, promoting blatant scams (the Pablo Escobar phone), etc.
i watched the videos. really interesting stuff! also watched his response to the escobar phone reaction and uh . . . wow.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
It's a step in the right direction compared to android full screen designs. I went from the X to the 12 pro and was hoping for a smaller notch that time around. I will hold onto the 12 pro for another notch change which at this point seems like iPhone 15.

Cellphone market has matured for the standard phone design (compared to the foldable which seems a few years away from mainstream adoption) and apple will stretch the standard iPhone design sales as much as possible.

I would welcome smaller bezels. A smaller bezel trick (that fools my eyes maybe not others) is a glass screen protector that doesn't quite go edge to edge. The light from the screen lights up the edges of it and gives it the appearance go smaller bezels compared to the true size (stupid, maybe... but works for me).

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I would take a full screen no notched phone, but the notch never has bothered me, so anything smaller is a bonus. I think it’s amazing how many people are annoyed/dislike the notch so much. It was a design compromise that gave us an amazing bit of tech so it wasn’t for looks and the way the screen around the notch was utilized for time, battery, WiFi/Cellular signal strength make for a usable space there. If I’m honest, I thought the notch was neat insofar as it immediately distinguished iPhones design wise when so many phones look alike.

Reactions: Gasu E.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Wait... why do people hate this guy? Because he was the first one to really publish feedback on the instability of the iPhone 5 design?

I mean come on people, I love apple products, I buy apple products... but it's not a religion. Sheesh.

Reactions: Tofupunch and oasis

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Wait... why do people hate this guy? Because he was the first one to really publish feedback on the instability of the iPhone 5 design?

I mean come on people, I love apple products, I buy apple products... but it's not a religion. Sheesh.
I don't think he's ever been forgiven for being the first to point out the inherent fragility of the iPhone 6 when it was released. His channel subscriber numbers exploded when he was basically snapping iPhone 6's like fortune cookies with his bare hands and almost no effort.

Heaven forbid he should offend the Apple faithful by pointing out to consumers that the premium product they are paying for is poorly engineered garbage.

And it's not like Apple knowingly sells poor quality designs or anything – I mean they've never repeated it, have they? /s

iPad Pro models in 2018 that were bent out of the box but Apple said it was normal; "touch disease" on said iPads that never seems to be acknowledged or fixed; four years of butterfly keyboards on laptops that were so broken they needed to be part of a repair program while still on sale; Mac Pro trashcans sold for 6 years that are so poorly cooled they burn their non-standard graphics cards out; Mac Minis with Bluetooth that simply cannot sustain a connection; M1 Macs that cannot reliably wake external monitors...etc etc.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
So will the smaller notch really make more buyers or ones on the fence now decide yes I will buy this smaller notch? I mean I don’t see the point.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
Here's a crazy idea; how about NO NOTCH AT ALL?
+1, agreed. Also how about no camera bump, either? That’s the ONLY thing stopping me from swapping my iPhone SE (2016, the One True SE) for the latest model. They finally tossed that horrendous iPhone 6 body with rounded edges and went back to the flat edges, and made the mini size as it should be. I was ready to go for iPhone 12 mini, but nope... camera bump. Boo.
Notch is kinda dumb, too... just make it the whole bezel and stop trying to be “clever” with corner swipes. Sheesh. Unnecessary complexity for no real gain.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I would take a full screen no notched phone, but the notch never has bothered me, so anything smaller is a bonus. I think it’s amazing how many people are annoyed/dislike the notch so much. It was a design compromise that gave us an amazing bit of tech so it wasn’t for looks and the way the screen around the notch was utilized for time, battery, WiFi/Cellular signal strength make for a usable space there. If I’m honest, I thought the notch was neat insofar as it immediately distinguished iPhones design wise when so many phones look alike.
Yes I understand why they're needing to do it. So it's a necessary thing at the moment. There's a lot more than just a pinhole camera there like other phones. I watch a lot of content and play games on the go and the notch on the side the screen is very annoying. I don't care about my phone looking distinguished.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I would like a full screen. However, I am understanding that at this moment in time, technology hasn't quite caught up with MR desire. As such, I don't even think about the notch.
I think about it every time I watch a movie or play a game and the notch is there. It's like having something on the TV that you can't remove.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
This shill is a scammer. Who remembers when he began that scam claiming to give away hundreds of iPhones for subscribing to his channel? He showed a pickup full of empty iPhone boxes, which were actually just made on a printer. Well he got the subscribers, and none of them received their promised iPhone. He quickly deleted the videos promoting the giveaway and would ban people that commented about it.

Or what about the “Later Case” fiasco, when he copied the design of a phone case he reviewed on his channel, and sold it as his own. This company paid him $5000 to ”review” it. Lew then removed the original review and banned people that commented about how he copied the case he was sent for review.

He’s a loser.

fncd

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2020
I don't know the guy nor having previously watched any of his videos....but it is people like this and their sources in industrial locations that have taken the fun out of product launches.....
And you’re posting this on a rumor website. I’m not sure what you expected to find here?

fncd

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2020
I was turned off by his whole iPhone bendgate schtick. Never watched him again after that.
Wait - he called out a flaw in the product and that’s what turned you off? Would you rather he didn’t point it out and the iPhone still used the same flimsy metal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.